Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Where to change name

So I know that you need to change your name at the Social Security Office and the DMV as well as a variety of other places (work, post office, banks, etc..). My question is do you have to go to probate court to change your name legally? or is changing everything else good enough?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Where to change name

• No, you do not have to go to court to change your name after being married.

You're right, you DO have to go to Social Security.  In fact, this should be your first stop.  They will order you a new card, and give you a printout that will serve as a "temporary" card until the new one arrives (about 2 weeks).   After that, you'll want to get your driver's license changed, then change your name at work, on your bank accounts, utilities, credit cards, etc.    You'll also want to get your passport updated.  Basically all you do is fill out a form then mail in your passport.  They will print on one of your endorsements pages that your name has been changed.  It does not change the expiration date, so if your passport is close to expiring, then you might as well just renew it in your new name.   Then it will be reprinted with your new name on the photo page.  

I will caveat all of this however -- if you are not taking your husband's last name (say, you are picking a new name that both of you will take), it MIGHT not be this easy, but it likely varries by state.   Same thing applies if your husband will be taking your name.  These cases deserve a phone call to your state to find out what laws apply.   
    DSC_9275
  • No, you do not need to go to court.  A certified copy of your marriage license is sufficient documentation for you to change your last name (you can also work with your middle name, if for some reason you plan to drop it and make your maiden name your middle name or something.  But you can't change it from Lynn to Ann or something like that).

Social Security is your first stop.  Check with requirements in your state, some places require you actually go to the SS office in person, others will let you mail it in.  Also depending on your state, you can change your name with the DMV immediately, or after a waiting period.  Most likely, you do not need to wait until you have your new SS card in hand, it just needs time to process in their system.

After that, as PP said, you just make a list of whatever institutions you use and call each individually to change your name.  I did not need to do any of these in person, in fact, most I just did by email.  Only my student loan institutions even asked for proof of my name change, in which case, a faxed copy of my updated drivers license was sufficient.

As for the passport, PP is incorrect.  You can change your name for free, only if your passport has been issued within the last year.  If it's been any longer than a year, you have to pay the full renewal price of $110, and it will renew your passport for another 10 years.  Check out travel.state.gov for forms, fees, & requirements.

It sounds like a lot, but really, it was a fairly easy process.  HTH.
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_change-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:88b3e624-2e6c-40db-896d-118ed0db536ePost:b6f1f108-4fb7-4774-9f75-98cd17a025bf">Re: Where to change name</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>As for the passport, PP is incorrect.  You can change your name for free, only if your passport has been issued within the last year.  If it's been any longer than a year, you have to pay the full renewal price of $110, and it will renew your passport for another 10 years.  </strong>Check out travel.state.gov for forms, fees, & requirements. It sounds like a lot, but really, it was a fairly easy process.  HTH.
    Posted by jemmini6[/QUOTE]
    This is really helpful to know! Thanks! I am renewing my passport now, in my maiden name, so that I can go on the honeymoon, and then I can change my name for free when we get back.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_change-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:88b3e624-2e6c-40db-896d-118ed0db536ePost:b6f1f108-4fb7-4774-9f75-98cd17a025bf">Re: Where to change name</a>:
    [QUOTE]No, you do not need to go to court.  A certified copy of your marriage license is sufficient documentation for you to change your last name (<strong>you can also work with your middle name, if for some reason you plan to drop it and make your maiden name your middle name or something. </strong> But you can't change it from Lynn to Ann or something like that). Social Security is your first stop.  Check with requirements in your state, some places require you actually go to the SS office in person, others will let you mail it in.  Also depending on your state, you can change your name with the DMV immediately, or after a waiting period.  Most likely, you do not need to wait until you have your new SS card in hand, it just needs time to process in their system. After that, as PP said, you just make a list of whatever institutions you use and call each individually to change your name.  I did not need to do any of these in person, in fact, most I just did by email.  Only my student loan institutions even asked for proof of my name change, in which case, a faxed copy of my updated drivers license was sufficient. As for the passport, PP is incorrect.  You can change your name for free, only if your passport has been issued within the last year.  If it's been any longer than a year, you have to pay the full renewal price of $110, and it will renew your passport for another 10 years.  Check out travel.state.gov for forms, fees, & requirements. It sounds like a lot, but really, it was a fairly easy process.  HTH.
    Posted by jemmini6[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Some states are not allowing this any longer, from what I have heard, and Ohio is one of them (it says you can write your new intended middle on the marriage license). </div><div>
    </div><div>They will only let you change your last name, so you have to keep your original middle. If you want to make your maiden your middle name, you have to pay the name change fee and go through the courts. But again, this is not everywhere. </div><div>
    </div><div><a href="http://www.missnowmrs.com/Newlywed-Blog/index.php/name-change/maiden-to-middle-name-change.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.missnowmrs.com/Newlywed-Blog/index.php/name-change/maiden-to-middle-name-change.html</a>

</div>
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
    [QUOTE]No, you do not need to go to court.  A certified copy of your marriage license is sufficient documentation for you to change your last name (you can also work with your middle name, if for some reason you plan to drop it and make your maiden name your middle name or something.  But you can't change it from Lynn to Ann or something like that). Social Security is your first stop.  Check with requirements in your state, some places require you actually go to the SS office in person, others will let you mail it in.  Also depending on your state, you can change your name with the DMV immediately, or after a waiting period.  Most likely, you do not need to wait until you have your new SS card in hand, it just needs time to process in their system. After that, as PP said, you just make a list of whatever institutions you use and call each individually to change your name.  I did not need to do any of these in person, in fact, most I just did by email.  Only my student loan institutions even asked for proof of my name change, in which case, a faxed copy of my updated drivers license was sufficient. <strong>As for the passport, PP is incorrect.  You can change your name for free, only if your passport has been issued within the last year.  If it's been any longer than a year, you have to pay the full renewal price of $110, and it will renew your passport for another 10 years.  Check out travel.state.gov for forms, fees, & requirements. It sounds like a lot, but really, it was a fairly easy process.</strong>  HTH.
    Posted by jemmini6[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Good to know.  This has changed since the last time I did it.   I think it's better to just renew the darn thing....

</div>
    DSC_9275
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_change-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:88b3e624-2e6c-40db-896d-118ed0db536ePost:f97f9079-be7b-4b1c-9c08-184bdc2edc84">Re: Where to change name</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where to change name : Some states are not allowing this any longer, from what I have heard, and Ohio is one of them (it says you can write your new intended middle on the marriage license).  They will only let you change your last name, so you have to keep your original middle. If you want to make your maiden your middle name, you have to pay the name change fee and go through the courts. But again, this is not everywhere.  <a href="http://www.missnowmrs.com/Newlywed-Blog/index.php/name-change/maiden-to-middle-name-change.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.missnowmrs.com/Newlywed-Blog/index.php/name-change/maiden-to-middle-name-change.html</a>
    Posted by em01092[/QUOTE]

<div>Thanks for posting this link. I live in NJ and had been contemplating my new name as First Middle Maiden HisLast. Recently I've been conflicted on that vs. keeping my maiden name. This might just tip the scales in favor of no name change because I don't want to have to pay hundreds of dollars just to get a court order to change my name. Luckily, FI says he doesn't care if I don't change my name - he recognizes that it won't make us any less married.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards