Offbeat Weddings

Books

Hey girls!

I see that some of the other boards are starting book clubs. Would anyone here be interested in doing the same thing?  I bet we could come up with some interesting books that were a little off the beaten path.  If not, thats cool too and I will put on my big girl panties and join one on the other boards. I was just skeeered. 

imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Books

• I'm interested. I'm a book worm and with the wedding planning coming to an end soon I will have a lot more free time to read. I'm already involved in a IRL book club, but I'd be interested in book clubbing with you guys too.
    **TTCAL** A little Irish cuteness- Cillian Murphy
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC #1 since December 2011
    Dx: Hypothyroidism, PCOS, one test away from confirming DOR
    BFP #1 1/16/12 EDD 9/16/12 m/c 1/26/12 }Sweet Pea{
    BFP #2 10/18/12 EDD 6/29/13 cp 10/24/12 }Bug{
    BFP #3 11/22/12 EDD 8/1/13 m/c 12/7/12 }Turkey{
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Mah Chart * Mah Literary Blog * Mah Other Blog
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic image
    ~*~Everyone is welcome~*~
  • I read about 1 page per night before I pass out...but I'll try to participate if you start one! I'm reading The Help right now, soooo good.
  • GrauGrau member
    First Comment
    I would be game for it. I am a complete bookworm, though I haven't read anything in awhile (too lazy to go to a library, to cheap to go to a bookstore).
    I did just finish Cats Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut. It was amazing, for anyone interested in that type.
  • DH (i almost typed FI) loves Vonnegut. I've read almost all of his works.

i tend toward the fanatasy/sci fi section. and prefer fiction overall. as i tend to say "i have to live in reality, i dotn want to read about it" lol
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_offbeat-weddings_books?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:43453af6-2ee4-412a-99fb-cbb447240911Discussion:669dc2c7-20f8-4375-827d-25b24d2d6bc9Post:4361cdbe-60da-4438-99c8-90b824e92aef">Re: Books</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would be game for it. I am a complete bookworm, though I haven't read anything in awhile (too lazy to go to a library, to cheap to go to a bookstore). I did just finish Cats Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut. It was amazing, for anyone interested in that type.
    Posted by Grau[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>See the cat? See the craddle? LOVE THAT  BOOK! </div>
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
  • I go through phases of what I like to read.
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
  • I love to read and read before I got bed each night. So I would be up for it.  I also need a new book light...so if anyone has any suggestions please let me know!
  • I am currently reading The Help, A Feast for Crows and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.  I am about to start The Elegance of the Hedgehog.  I LOVE the idea of a bookclub and would gladly partake.
    Anniversary Visit The Nest! my read shelf:
    Margot's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Its a go then! Now to pick a book.

I see a couple of you are reading/just read The Help.  Should we consider that one?

Also since Tuck is about to start The Elegance of the Hedgehog, we could all just jump on that bandwagon. 

Or we could take turns recommending something. Whoever picks something this month gets to choose the person who recommends a book for next month.

Completely open to suggestions here.  I am old school and actually get books from the library so if we can pick something that isn't a brand new best seller that would be best for me as it takes forever to get those. Plus it adds to the offbeatness of our selection!

• I started a book club 3 years ago - we read one book a month, and the only rule I made is that you can't pick a book that is only out in hardcover.  As far as book content - anything goes.  We just go around in a circle and take turns choosing.  As more people joined, they would just be added to the end of the choosing line. 

I hope this information is helpful - I love reading!
    Margot's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • reliartreliart member
    First Comment
    i would def join in! love reading...

tuck, "curious incident" was awesome, are you enjoying it?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I just finished "Something borrowed" and am looking for a new book to read. I was going to start "Handle With Care" but haven't bought it yet. We should get a list going and get a book going:)
  • GrauGrau member
    First Comment
    Tuck - I love The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. It is such a great book.

And I agree about choosing books that are easy to get at a library.
  • I'm in! I'm an English teacher and love to read; it's how I relax at the end of the day. Sometimes I go through a 2-3 books a week. I read a lot of young adult novels though, because I like to keep up with what my students like to read.  I'd definitely be up for some more adult works!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I am loving the Curious Incident, it is such a good book!
  • There's apparently a NEY book club on goodreads.com.  I just joined the other day after being recruited.  We're apparently in the process of choosing a June book, but I'm super new, so don't make me the spokeswoman! :)
  • ...except I just realized that I'm not on NEY... how did I end up here?

*facepalm*

• I completely agree with Tuck about just making a list and we will go in that order. How about we just use the order that we posted on this thread? Nikki-Do you want to pick our first book or are you super busy with wedding stuff? (Because you are SOOO close!!!!)

I also liked the suggestion that the book should already be available in paperback so it will be easy for everyone to aquire.

When shall we hold our discussion? 15th of June?  Last day of June?

Also, someone else is more than welcome to take charge of this if you want to! I don't mind if there are no takers though since I brought it up.

Any objections?  All in favor? 
  • I just wanted to chime in that I love the idea too :) Although I might not be able to do the first book because Pillars of the Earth, while amazing, is taking me forever.
    IMG_0015

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Goodreads is an awesome website. Anyone else use it?
    **TTCAL** A little Irish cuteness- Cillian Murphy
    TTC #1 since December 2011
    Dx: Hypothyroidism, PCOS, one test away from confirming DOR
    BFP #1 1/16/12 EDD 9/16/12 m/c 1/26/12 }Sweet Pea{
    BFP #2 10/18/12 EDD 6/29/13 cp 10/24/12 }Bug{
    BFP #3 11/22/12 EDD 8/1/13 m/c 12/7/12 }Turkey{
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Mah Chart * Mah Literary Blog * Mah Other Blog
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic image
    ~*~Everyone is welcome~*~
  • I just got goodreads not long ago, haven't used it much yet. I use the same name there (aradesi) if anyone wants to friend each other :)
    IMG_0015

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I'm in favor! It's probably lost above in the various conversations, but was there a decision on our first book?
  • I"m on Goodreads....I find it semi confusing! LOL
  • I just joined GoodReads this week, it is such a great site!  We could create a group there, or just keep it here.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards