South Carolina

Venue-Induced Depression!

I just got engaged on valentine's day and planning a wedding for April 2013, so I was thinking, whew! I have a whole year to make all these decisions! . . . turns out I'm already finding that so many venues are booked for next spring! I've been crushed about how horribly expensive everywhere is and how they micromanage all your decisions! :( My mom and I looked at the 1st venue that fit the budget ($2,000 and under) and it was fine, they're really flexible and lots of stuff like tables and linens are included. . . but I got home last night and just started crying because I feel like this is my only option and while it's nice, it's nothing like what my fiance and I imagined. :( I'm not asking to ride in on a freaking unicorn and have michelle obama pour my drinks here people! Just to have a pretty place that will let us do things our way. If anyone has any scoop on venues in upstate SC or maybe even the Asheville area, let me know because I feel like cancelling the whole thing right now! :'(

Re: Venue-Induced Depression!

• What's your budget?  When you say that your budget is $2000, what are you hoping to have included in that price?
  • $2,00 for the reception venue (would be cool if could do the ceremony there too) just for the space really. I prefer to find my own caterer, florist, etc. If tables and chairs were included that would be a big help. I'm trying to avoid outdoor because it's so unpredictable and I prefer a rustic or historic building to a hotel or contemporary venue.
  • I gotcha. Wish I had the budget you have, but I agree that there should be more flexible venues. I hate when they want to restrict you on everything else. Keep looking, you will find it. I think you will. I don't know one off the top of my head, but it doesn't sound like unreasonableness.
    My blog
    "I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, My soul shall be joyful in my God; For He has clothed me with the garments of salvation, He has covered me with the robe of righteousness, As a bridegroom decks himself with ornaments, And as a bride adorns herself with her jewels." -Isaiah 61:10 NKJV
  • Like PP said, just keep looking. I was devastated when I had searched for months and months for a venue. All I wanted was a barn that looked decent, could do an outdoor ceremony (but inside if raining) and wasn't $5,000 (yes, there was a place that did that...) After searching forever, I finally found it. I definitely had some crying spells, though. Just keep your chin up and keep looking. Ask around, too.
  • Try www.duncanestate.com or just google upstate sc wedding venues

Morenachica, if you don't mind me asking, what venue did you use? That sounds very much like what I'm looking for :D
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-carolina_venue-induced-depression?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:123Discussion:520e4294-4fbf-4fbf-9579-0648024fcaacPost:48b3c6ce-04ce-47f6-8925-b79d3fe941bb">Re: Venue-Induced Depression!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Try <a href="http://www.duncanestate.com" rel="nofollow">www.duncanestate.com</a> or just google upstate sc wedding venues Morenachica, if you don't mind me asking, what venue did you use? That sounds very much like what I'm looking for :D
    Posted by shadowkat08[/QUOTE]

<div>We're using Luv Shack on the River.</div><div>
    </div><div><a href="http://www.luvshackontheriver.com/" rel="nofollow">http://www.luvshackontheriver.com/</a> </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>The pictures don't do it any justice. It's really a gorgeous place. All built with local wood. The couple that runs it (mostly the wife Juanita Sanchez) is SO nice and easy to work with. If they can do anything for you, they will. =) The only downside is that it's further out in the country than we'd like for our guests, but I guess if you're looking for a barn venue, then if has to be in the country. =P lol!</div>
  • Would you do a Friday or Sunday wedding?  I know that can be cheaper, depending on the venue.
  • Mine is at the Upcountry History Museum--downtown.  It is a little more than 2000, but they have some tables theya are letting me use.  They let you bring in your own caterer and bartenders too:) 
  • There's a place called Zen in Greenville, but it may be too expensive.  The Hugenot Loft (spelling?) in Greenville is another option.  Wilhite house in Anderson is kind of expensive but includes everything you could need, so it may help you come out cheaper in the end.  The Davenport Inn, that was mentioned previously, is super budget friendly and beautiful.  I considered it for mine.  The Anderson Arts Center isn't too expensive and is modern.  

Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • I would certainly look at http://www.duncanestate.com/ that is where I am getting married and having the reception, they are really helpful and you pretty much have free reign of what you want to do and chairs and tables are included.

I am from the UK but my dad lives in SC but although I am from the UK i have found finding vendors for this venue good as well :)

Hope you find what you are looking for, don't let it get you down, getting married is a happy occasion and the main thing is marrying the person you love!

Laughing
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-carolina_venue-induced-depression?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:123Discussion:520e4294-4fbf-4fbf-9579-0648024fcaacPost:7ef197c7-a5a1-4231-86b5-76e11a88d2a4">Re: Venue-Induced Depression!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would certainly look at <a href="http://www.duncanestate.com/" rel="nofollow">http://www.duncanestate.com/</a> that is where I am getting married and having the reception, they are really helpful and you pretty much have free reign of what you want to do and chairs and tables are included. I am from the UK but my dad lives in SC but although I am from the UK i have found finding vendors for this venue good as well :) Hope you find what you are looking for, don't let it get you down, getting married is a happy occasion and the main thing is marrying the person you love!
    Posted by portsmouthfc12383[/QUOTE]

Oh and you also have a choice of indoors or out doors :)
  • We got married at Rockhouse Vineyards in Tryon, NC. It's actually just over the line from Landrum, SC. It's beautiful, but a blank slate. There are photos in my married bio.

We had to bring all of our rentals, but it wasn't so bad. The rental fee in 2008 was $750. Our overall expenditures were $6500, so it was very much a budget wedding.

The owners are super nice and very laid back because the place is a vineyard first and foremost. There are some limitations though. They are open until 5pm on the weekends, so people may be coming and going into the tasting room which is located in the rock house. There's a bathroom and a bedroom for the bride to prep in. That's the only bathroom on site; the owner suggested that I bring out a port-a-potty for our guests as a back-up. We did, but I think maybe a handful of people used it (mostly guys...LOL).  We had about 75 guests.

The only other stipulation is that if you serve wine, it has to the vineyard's. But no worries...their wine is fantastic. I highly recommend the Meritage.

There is the Red Horse Inn in Landrum that is super nice, so that may be a good option for lodging.

Some other venues to look at:

Depending on how many people you plan on inviting, I would suggest Mary's Cottage in Downtown Greenville. It overlooks Falls Park, so it's very scenic. They can't handle more than 100 people though. We invited 150 so that's why we didn't go with that option. If we had known only 75 people were going to show up, then we would have gone ahead with that option. You have to use them for catering, but their food is really good. Also, if you like living on the edge, there is Village Studios on Pendleton Street in the West End of Greenville. They are a gallery, very large, so it can handle a lot of people. I think the only requirement is having a security guard.

I will second the Duncan Estate. I knew the owners once a upon a time ago. Danielle is very nice and used to be in promotions for Carnival Cruise Lines, so is very enthusiastic and well-ordered. She and her husband got married there after they restored the house, which is very lovely and historic. The gardens are amazing.

Best of luck.
  • Hey,
    If you're still looking for a venue under $2,000.00 check on Friday and Sundays at www.AugustaManor.org. Beautiful, historic home in DT Greenville.  Comes with all chairs, tables, linens, etc....  And they let you choose your own vendors.   Good luck and God bless!
  • Hi,
    Another idea, if you still looking, is a hotel. Have you looked into this? The Courtyard by Marriott Greenville Downtown has a beautiful option on a outside tend that looks amazing!!! I've been in one like that... Check it out: http://www.marriottcourtyardgreenville.com/
  • Hi,
    I am booking the Event Center at Cleveland Park in Spartanburg.  It does not include the linens and is a blank slate but the rental fees are very reasonable.  It is a public park but I love it.  You can rent either the upper level or the lower level depending on your needs.  I am renting both because I am having my ceremony and reception there.  I was in your shoes a few weeks ago.  I was so frustrated with trying to find a venue in either the Upstate or Columbia.  I am very happy with this option. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards