Hawaii
Options

ipod reception advice

We thought about having a DJ but with the added cost and only have around 20 people there we would rather spend that $$ doing fun stuff while we are in Maui. So my question is for anyone who has done an ipod reception did you have a friend or family member be in charge of making annoucments and starting dances like father/daughter dance? I just worry this might get awkward. Thanks!!

Re: ipod reception advice

• Options
    motoLynmotoLyn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I haven't had experience in this personally.  Though I was at a reception where the bride's brother was the impromptu MC.  I'm sure as long as the person is confident, speaks clearly and can handle the spot light and be dependable then you should be golden, especially if its only 20 people.
  • Options
    TripleAubsTripleAubs member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi!

We had a bit larger reception but we decided to go with an iPod for the dancing. One of our very good friends is exceptionally articulate, and he happened to be in a band. So they played live music during the dinner part, and our friend was the MC. He announced us when we came in and all the reception "events". I made two playlists on my iPod - one called "Events" and one called "Dancing". I provided him with a list of the songs for the events so he knew which ones to play for the first dance, etc. The dancing playlist was mostly upbeat songs with a few slow ones and he just put it on shuffle. No one seemed to mind that slight gap between songs and I am so very glad our friend helped us out so we didn't need a DJ :)

Just pick some good songs you KNOW people will dance to and you won't have any problems!

a+k

Photobucket

• Options
    AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Aubrey, your photo is just gorgeous!  I love the haziness, it looks like a dream!  :)
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    TripleAubsTripleAubs member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks! i loved all the pictures we got at that location and was so glad the grass was tall and wavy like that! and great lighting - so fun :)

a+k

Photobucket

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We didn't have an announcer because we didn't see the point of making a big deal about doing special dances. We started with our first dance and pulled everyone onto the dance floor, but you could easily transition from your first dance song (intro it, perhaps, from the end of a speech) into your dad-you dance by getting your husband to walk you over to him or something along those lines.
  • Options
    carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did something similar to Alyson - when we arrived at the party location, we started off with our first dance, then I think my dad and I danced.  We didn't announce it, but it was a small group (29 guests), and everyone could tell what was going on.  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards