Christian Weddings

Putting ourselves aside

I started reading the book "Crazy Love" as suggested a while ago on this board. The first few chapters are establishing the idea that nothing is about us and that it is all about God; our time on earth is so insignificant that our sole purpose here is to glorify God in all that we do. So I've been thinking of this more than usual, that God is not here for us, rather we are here for Him. I was at church tonight and singing along and then across the screen...there was a typo in the song lyrics. Being a teacher, I nit-picked and then realized I was distracted by this typo in the song lyrics. I look back at what they typo had been and started thinking about what the lyric SAID rather than the missing letter! "He has rose and conquered the grave". How was I allowing myself to get distracted by a missing vowel in conquered rather than the truth behind what it was saying? Then I started thinking about how FI and I always kind of joke about this one guy who is in the worship band who drives me NUTS, he looks so fake up on stage like he is trying WAY too hard and just putting on a show and it drives me nuts. And I thought to myself, why does it matter? Is HE who this song is about? Does it even matter if ANYONE is up there leading the worship? No...it doesn't. I needed to close my eyes, ignore the showy singer and typos on screen and focus on what was really SUPPOSED to be the focus. I need to putaside myself, who I am, a teacher and a nit-picked, and just focus on God.

Thought I'd share :)

Re: Putting ourselves aside

• fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    This is why TK needs a "like" button. :)  I'm determined to get to Crazy Love this semester.  It's just sitting on my bookshelf staring at me.
  • edited December 2011
    :) Thanks!

Crazy Love has been in my backpack so I could read it in between classes all year and I haven't read it yet. I really need to get on that... I've heard only good things about it.
    When you love someone, you can tell. When you're in love with someone, everyone else can tell.
  • edited December 2011
    I'd suggest listening to some music by Sovereign Grace Music. They have a really awesome deal right now on their website during the month of Feb. and most of their CDs (~10-12 songs each) are only $5-6. I think they do an amazing job having lyrics that focus on God rather than us. My favorite CD is "Come Weary Saints" (I personally don't think you can get better music when you are having a hard time than this CD) and Psalms for music that reflects on God and his character. Just thought I'd offer a suggestion =)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Wow, Anna - That CD sounds pretty great!  Thanks for sharing!  I'm totally into music and finding music that helps me put the focus in the right place, so I'll be checking that out for sure!! :-)

Crazy Love is next on my books after I find out what our pastor is going to have us read for our P-M counseling.  :-)  We start March 20th!!! :-)
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • edited December 2011
    Crazy Love is a great book! I'm glad you are getting some great realizations. :)
  • [QUOTE]This is why TK needs a "like" button. :)  I'm determined to get to Crazy Love this semester.  It's just sitting on my bookshelf staring at me.
    Posted by fpaemp2011[/QUOTE]

Ditto!!

I haven't heard of that book, but I'll check it out!!

CW Siggy : Favorite Flower
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Any and all God created. Each one is a masterpiece. :)

I'm married!! As of May 1st, 2011. :)

Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I read Crazy Love in two sittings.  Seriously, set aside like ONE afternoon,and you will finish it, lol.
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • edited December 2011
    I will have to check that book out! I agree that we need to remember that God is #1- always! It's not always easy, but it is essential! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards