Registry and Gift Forum

help with where to register

I am really confused about where I should register. I don't like BBB i think its a huge place, hard to navigate, and really over priced for the quality offered on items. Most items I see there I see 20-25% less in other stores. I guess its convenient that it is just all in one place.

I am pretty traditional. And though, I like some items at Crate nad Barrel, a lot of their decor stuff is too modern for my taste.

I have decided that we are likely going to want to register at Macys. Since i DO want to register for China- however, I don't want to register at BBnB, and there isn't another place around here that has China patterns (there is not a bloomingdales nearby or anything like that)

Finally, I wanted to register one additional place. I was thinking William and Sonoma. I mostly just wanted to register one place besides Macys, since Macys isn't around where my Fiance's family is from- and they might not want to order online. I want some more specific kitchen gadgets, and maybe some table linens etc.

However, I am looking on their website, and a lot of the items at william and sonoma are really pricey. However, I love a lot of the monogramed items and some table linens.
It won't be an issue for my family- but I know a lot of fiances family is on a strict budget.

I was also thinking of pottery barn.

Can you use WS or PB gift cards interchangably.
Of WS and PB who has better pricing and more items?

I can't tink of another place we'd want to register. and i am unsure how everyone came to decide where they wanted to register...
Places like big box stores (Target, kohls) are not someting we are interested in.

I'm also having a hard time finding "everyday" dishes that I like at any of these places. i dont have to register for them- but does anyone know where to find, pretty, high quality, everyday dishes? Right now,we are just eating off of my college ikea dishes that are plain white and blah.
www.weddedeverafter.blogspot.com
167 Invited image 34 Attending image Declined 4 image Still Waiting 129 image

Re: help with where to register

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_register-54?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:eb87b7c0-7d5f-4a4f-9c77-c467e8a5e509Post:967ac479-0328-4663-b90b-563dad4f1c96">Re: help with where to register</a>:
    [QUOTE]Honeymoon and cash registries are a huge breach of etiquette. It's not polite to ask other people for money.  Registering for cash is downright silly.  You don't need to "register" for cash. People already know money is always welcome, and will write you a check and slip it into a card if they are so inclined.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

Maybe I am missing a post of something. I just reread through all the responses. I don't see anyone in this thread mentioning a honeymoon registry or "registering" for cash (sorry, I don't even think that is possible,even if someone wanted to do something as tacky as that)

We are discussing stores in which to register.
  • OP, somebody mentioned cash registries to you as a suggestion earlier.  Glad to hear you aren't going to take it.  I'm with you on BBB - it's overwhelming, and most of their inventory is online so isn't available to touch and feel.  We probably aren't going to do BBB but we are going to do Kohl's because one just opened in my hometown and there aren't any other stores like that in my area - my shower is going to be local so we need a local store with well-priced items.

I love PB and WS, though my FI refuses to do WS as well.  Between PB and WS, WS is the more expensive store.  Believe me, I've done a lot of comparison.  Some things are quite similar between the two - like their linen table cloths, placemts, etc, and WS is always noticably more expensive.  

Check out the PB dishes - if you like white dishes, they have an enormous, well-priced line of white porcelain (called "great white").  They also have some colors in stoneware (ie: "Emma").  You might also want to check out fiestaware (which is what we're prob going to do) if you feel like white is too blah.  My china is white with minimal design on the edge in silver, and I wanted something more colorful for everyday.  Macy's carries Fiesta, as does Kohl's.  We're going to register at Macy's for the serving pieces of my china pattern, but our Fiesta is going to be at Kohl's because of their sales, Kohl's cash, etc.

If you want another kitcheny store, Crate & Barrel has some wonderful kitchen gadgets that are the same quality as WS but usually a lot less expensive.  I recently had a shopping trip where I compared the gadgets between the two stores immediately one after the other and in some cases I thought CB's seemed even sturdier than WS.  I agree that CB is usually too modern for my tastes, but we're looking at doing some neat kitchen gadgets there.  Also check out Sur la table like PP suggested. 

Hope that helps!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I apologize I guess I didn't see it, I reread through the entire thing to be sure but I must have missed it somehow, so I take the blame for calling someone out on that.
    I didn't even think a "cash" registry existed.

That's as bad as the card I got attached to a wedding invite that read.

"Although gifts are nice we'd really like to say, that gifts of ca$h would help us on our way."

ya the S was a $
  • @ Hoffse- thanks. Good to know about hte PB. WS price comparisons. That's super helpful.
  • I have to throw it out there that I wish I would have registered at Pampered Chef. I hosted a party a few months after my wedding and got my order and I absolutely LOVE everything! Also, in only 5 months some of my Martha Stewart and OXO kitchen utensils and gadgets are melting/falling apart :( PC is online only so it may not be a good option for you but I had to throw it out there.

We registered at C&B, Macys, WS and Sears (hubby's registry :))

• 360GiftRegistry.com -allows you to choose from multiple stores and add from any store. I did this with stuff from everywhere and Target for people that aren't computer savvyv and need a store front.
  • TEA&CoTEA&Co member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are registered at Williams Sonoma and have had a great experience with them.  We registered at Pottery Barn, but for very, very few items and almost all of them have been discontinued, so I wouldn't open a registry there in retrospect.  We had a HORRIBLE experience with Macy's and would never, ever recommend registering there.  I am far from modern, but have a C&B registry and love it.  GL and have fun registering!  It was honestly one of my favorite aspects of wedding planning...probably because there was no drama (aside from our Macy's debacle) surrounding it!

ETA: Williams Sonoma has nice, pretty everyday dishes!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_register-54?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:eb87b7c0-7d5f-4a4f-9c77-c467e8a5e509Post:4eb37c0a-500a-4463-9b9f-7b51a333e10a">Re: help with where to register</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks, ido2012.... AND.....I have no words for the dollar $ign thing.  What a gimme pig.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

i liek this "gimme pig"

also- i like teh suggestion of the 260 registry but i feel like a lot of people won't order off that unless they are my younger friends. I know, my famiyl anyway, tends to like to give "physical gifts" that they can hand over to you!..not so up with the times!

my cousin had a registry on amazon.com and her family is a bit more up to speed and she Still got very few items from it
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_register-54?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:eb87b7c0-7d5f-4a4f-9c77-c467e8a5e509Post:e85dd34f-4bf0-4f0d-8e2f-9327b6cfcfa2">Re: help with where to register</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are registered at Williams Sonoma and have had a great experience with them.  We registered at Pottery Barn, but for very, very few items and almost all of them have been discontinued, so I wouldn't open a registry there in retrospect.  We had a HORRIBLE experience with Macy's and would never, ever recommend registering there.  I am far from modern, but have a C&B registry and love it.  GL and have fun registering!  It was honestly one of my favorite aspects of wedding planning...probably because there was no drama (aside from our Macy's debacle) surrounding it! ETA: Williams Sonoma has nice, pretty everyday dishes!
    Posted by TEA&Co[/QUOTE]

Do you mind me asking what about macys you disliked. Our macys home store nearby is very small- and feels comfortable to be in- although it doesn't offer a ton of c hoices- and the sales ladies aren't very knowledgeable-- however, i am pretty well versed in things like linens and things for the kitcehn  thanks to a home-gadget and things obsessed mother.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_register-54?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:eb87b7c0-7d5f-4a4f-9c77-c467e8a5e509Post:c7c2b7ce-75d2-4eaa-ae90-f60cc2b4477a">Re: help with where to register</a>:
    [QUOTE]i registered at <a href="http://www.myregistry.com" rel='nofollow'>www.myregistry.com</a> its a neat website because you can register at several different places and it will all go onto one registry. so you can put items from an affordale place like target and then maybe another place that might be more $$ such as macys. its pretty cool.
    Posted by kennazebrowsky[/QUOTE]

<div>Thank you!</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards