Snarky Brides

WDYT?

Re: WDYT?

• It doesnt matter if its the case in your region, its not the case for the country as a whole.  It is a fact that cant be refuted that there are more registered Democrats than Republicans.  By a LARGE margin.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_wdyt-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:c2ba2e18-1680-471c-9a80-3a94d3746fbbPost:22944eb3-74b9-43af-b9bd-f7dc3046fa08">Re: WDYT?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Rummi- your link doesnt make sense to me.  The one from Pew.  Its a fact that there are way more registered Democrats in this country than there are Republicans.  And the large number of Independants tend to VOTE Democrat.  So it doesnt matter if some of them lean a little conservative on certain things, the fact is that they vote liberal.
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]
    I guess, to me, Democrat =/= liberal. Lousiana used to be a democratic state the whole time I was growing up and those are the most conservative freaking people ever. there is nothing liberal about them. <div>
    </div><div>You can be a Republican and still be liberal on social issues. In fact, you should be liberal on socail issues if your stance is that government should be smal and not interfere with people's personal lives. That's what I don't get about all this RELIGIOUS conservatism. They don't want the government up in their lives, but they sure as hell want to make sure everyone else has the government up in theirs if they don't follow the same religious beliefs. </div><div>
    </div><div>I beiieve that Romney has been critical of Obama because he has a secular agenda. I'd LOVE for a Republican to have a secular agenda. Government SHOULD be secular. It shouldn't be guided by one person's faith over the others. </div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_wdyt-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:c2ba2e18-1680-471c-9a80-3a94d3746fbbPost:2fd59eea-cd5c-4b72-8bba-4876461a909b">Re: WDYT?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WDYT? :   As for the boycotts - I want to see the businesses that have gone out of business. Wasn't the claim that Republican businesses are going out of business completely?
    Posted by Rummi302[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Well now we've solved the issue here. You just can't read.</div><div>
    </div><div>[QUOTE] And companies are more at risk to lose lots of business if their owners admit to being a conservative, but its not true for the reverse.

</div>
  • One more and then I'm out for the night.

RON PAUL 2012!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_wdyt-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:c2ba2e18-1680-471c-9a80-3a94d3746fbbPost:fba3d392-0c1c-4a58-ad25-d6d269df1bc8">Re: WDYT?</a>:
    [QUOTE]One more and then I'm out for the night. RON PAUL 2012!
    Posted by Steph+J[/QUOTE]
    WOOT!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_wdyt-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:c2ba2e18-1680-471c-9a80-3a94d3746fbbPost:20200aa9-740f-4d53-9a00-f029ef4b0b86">Re: WDYT?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WDYT? : On what basis is it false. Statistical sampling is pretty accurate these days. Pew has a decent reputation. The question asked is the same one that's been used for decades. I don't understand why you think this data is wrong.
    Posted by Rummi302[/QUOTE]

First of all it surveyed 1500 out of 330 million people.

Secondly, just because some people have liberal or conservative leanings on SOME issues, does not make them liberal/conservative.  I have liberal leanings on very few things, does that make me a liberal?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yes, that was a reading fail, Steph. Fully admit that one.

I still think all boycotts are silly, on both sides. And they die down pretty damn quickly. This country has the attention span of gnats.

You probably think I'm some raging liberal - I'm really not. I just happen to work in politics/polling, so I'm familiar with this research. But if you think a "liberal" nation would sit back and let Virginia pass a law saying women have to have a sonogram wand stuck up their vags before an abortion, then, well, I just don't know...
  •  You know you want to come to thie hippy dark side, Blue!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_wdyt-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:c2ba2e18-1680-471c-9a80-3a94d3746fbbPost:512ac3fb-0b21-434b-bb7b-d45084d8da0a">Re: WDYT?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes, that was a reading fail, Steph. Fully admit that one. I still think all boycotts are silly, on both sides. And they die down pretty damn quickly. This country has the attention span of gnats. You probably think I'm some raging liberal - I'm really not. I just happen to work in politics/polling, so I'm familiar with this research. But if you think a "liberal" nation would sit back and<strong><u> let Virginia pass a law saying women have to have a sonogram wand stuck up their vags before an abortion, then, well, I just don't know...
    </u></strong>Posted by Rummi302[/QUOTE]

You already have to do that at PP.  How else would they know how pregnant you are? 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_wdyt-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:c2ba2e18-1680-471c-9a80-3a94d3746fbbPost:a8a56435-9ea6-42ad-9976-6c8d97412230">Re: WDYT?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WDYT? :<strong> First of all it surveyed 1500 out of 330 million people. </strong>Secondly, just because some people have liberal or conservative leanings on SOME issues, does not make them liberal/conservative.  I have liberal leanings on very few things, does that make me a liberal?

<div>Polling methodology is actually really accurate: <a href="http://www.people-press.org/methodology/sampling/why-probability-sampling/" rel="nofollow">http://www.people-press.org/methodology/sampling/why-probability-sampling/</a></div><div>
    </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_wdyt-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:c2ba2e18-1680-471c-9a80-3a94d3746fbbPost:512ac3fb-0b21-434b-bb7b-d45084d8da0a">Re: WDYT?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes, that was a reading fail, Steph. Fully admit that one. I still think all boycotts are silly, on both sides. And they die down pretty damn quickly. This country has the attention span of gnats. You probably think I'm some raging liberal - I'm really not. I just happen to work in politics/polling, so I'm familiar with this research. But if you think a "liberal" nation would sit back and let Virginia pass a law saying women have to have a sonogram wand stuck up their vags before an abortion, then, well, I just don't know...

<div>Uh, the whole nation can't vote on Virginia laws.  You should know that if you work in politics.</div><div>
    </div><div>Also, if you think a 'conservative' nation would let any of the healthcare stuff or (sadly) any gay rights stuff pass, you're wrong. I"m not saying that I disagree with either healthcare reform or gay rights (I fully support them, for clarification), but if you want to toss around generalizations about each side of the spectrum, it goes both ways.</div>
  • Oh yeah, Blue has a good point. 

First thing they did at my first OB appt? Shove a transvag 'wand' for a dating u/s. Big effing deal. It was signficantly less obnoxious than a pap. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_wdyt-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:c2ba2e18-1680-471c-9a80-3a94d3746fbbPost:0cfa2b9c-e2c4-4159-87b2-5795fd66d18d">Re: WDYT?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WDYT? : Polling methodology is actually really accurate:  <a href="http://www.people-press.org/methodology/sampling/why-probability-sampling/" rel="nofollow">http://www.people-press.org/methodology/sampling/why-probability-sampling/</a>

But it doesnt change the fact that people vote Democrat and thats all that really matters with this kind of thing.  You can "say" you lean one way, but you vote a completely different way.  Thats my point.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • cheeseandricecheeseandrice member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited February 2012
    Ok, since rummi can't produce anything worthwhile or of substance for this conversation, I'm out for real.  I've got a back episode of The Voice to watch. (don't judge.)
  • It really blows my mind that people dont think the Dr should know the gestational age of a fetus they are about to abort.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • There are 9 states with ultrasound requirements for abortions. Abortion rights everywhere are becoming more restrictive. Planned Parenthood is under attack constantly (read recent New Yorker article if you need proof). The VA law is indicative of a national trend.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_wdyt-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:c2ba2e18-1680-471c-9a80-3a94d3746fbbPost:95b28380-1790-4201-914c-8b25aee228df">Re: WDYT?</a>:
    [QUOTE]There are 9 states with ultrasound requirements for abortions. Abortion rights everywhere are becoming more restrictive. Planned Parenthood is under attack constantly (read recent New Yorker article if you need proof). The VA law is indicative of a national trend.

So those states that dont require it, are those states that allow late term abortions?  Because seriously, without an ultrasound, how does the Dr know if the abortion performed is within the correct time limits?  Are they just supposed to take the mothers word for it?  Also, what if its ectopic and they dont get it out and the tube ruptures/mother bleeds to death?  Who is responsible at that point?

This is just a dumb argument.  The ultrasound isnt to make the patient feel bad, at the places that require it, its done behind a screen so the patient doesnt have to see it at all.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Blue, here the issue is that they are forcing the doctor to show the ultrasound to the patient. As far as I know they DO the ultrasound everywhere as a matter of the medical procedure. The controversial laws have to do with having to show the mother the ultrasound. 
  • Sarah- I get that, but thats not what Rummi is saying.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_wdyt-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:c2ba2e18-1680-471c-9a80-3a94d3746fbbPost:512ac3fb-0b21-434b-bb7b-d45084d8da0a">Re: WDYT?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes, that was a reading fail, Steph. Fully admit that one. I still think all boycotts are silly, on both sides. And they die down pretty damn quickly. This country has the attention span of gnats. You probably think I'm some raging liberal - I'm really not. I just happen to work in politics/polling, so I'm familiar with this research<strong><u>. But if you think a "liberal" nation would sit back and let Virginia pass a law saying women have to have a sonogram wand stuck up their vags before an abortion, then, well, I just don't know...
    </u></strong>Posted by Rummi302[/QUOTE]

Sarah- this is what she said that I take issue with.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm not really sure how we got from the first issue, that disclosure laws were changing for Super PACs (they aren't) to here. Huh. All in two pages. 

My argument is that this nation is not nearly as liberal as some would like to think it is.  Even if people are self-identifying as moderate and voting Dem, the evidence still suggests that Dems don't have a stable majority nationwide. They will likely lose the Senate as long as the Reps don't nominate Santorum. It's just hardly the case that conservatives are a downtrodden group. You just have to look at election results to see that.
  • And I think people who don't want religion legislatied into their daily lives vote Democrat because the Republican candidates take the controversial religious issues and stand on them alone. That's what scares me. I won't vote for Romney or Santorum. Ever. Will. Not. Happen. So if the Republicans can't come up with a candidate who isn't scary to people who aren't very religious, then yes, people will vote Democrat. 

I wish people were more practical about politics instead of emotional. Then Ron Paul and his practical soloutions to the REAL issues facing out national stability could actually do something instead of everyone being distracted by social issues that the governement shouldn't have a hand in anyway. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_wdyt-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:c2ba2e18-1680-471c-9a80-3a94d3746fbbPost:b11fc880-b53e-4284-a64a-c6099f04d28e">Re: WDYT?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not really sure how we got from the first issue, that disclosure laws were changing for Super PACs (they aren't) to here. Huh. All in two pages.  My argument is that this nation is not nearly as liberal as some would like to think it is.  Even if people are self-identifying as moderate and voting Dem, the evidence still suggests that Dems don't have a stable majority nationwide. They will likely lose the Senate as long as the Reps don't nominate Santorum.<strong><u> It's just hardly the case that conservatives are a downtrodden group</u></strong>. You just have to look at election results to see that.

And I disagree.  Thats all I was saying.  In the political world, its not the case, but in the real world it is.  You say you are a conservative and people go right to "racist" and "homophobe".  I know it happens because it has happened to me, many times.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_wdyt-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:c2ba2e18-1680-471c-9a80-3a94d3746fbbPost:4fcc6455-e4d6-406f-ab81-ada6541e7d16">Re: WDYT?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sarah- I get that, but thats not what Rummi is saying.
    I know. I should have addressed her as well, but I was watching the end of Downton Abbey and I got distracted. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_wdyt-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:c2ba2e18-1680-471c-9a80-3a94d3746fbbPost:b42743c7-1d74-4d69-8a18-960050906431">Re: WDYT?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WDYT? : And I disagree.  Thats all I was saying.  In the political world, its not the case, but in the real world it is.  You say you are a conservative and people go right to <strong>"racist" and "homophobe"</strong>.  I know it happens because it has happened to me, many times.

<div>That really sucks. You should be able to believe whatever you want. I actually never really talk politics outside of work. I might go back to that after this. It is so rarely productive at all. </div><div>
    </div><div>And the VA law rhetoric was poor on my part. I'm on a women's reproductive health rights kick right now.  </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_wdyt-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:c2ba2e18-1680-471c-9a80-3a94d3746fbbPost:8f54f684-188d-49d3-90cc-11b94bf69b23">Re: WDYT?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WDYT? : I know. I should have addressed her as well, but I was watching the<strong> end of Downton Abbey</strong> and I got distracted. 
    Posted by SarahPLiz[/QUOTE]

<div>Loved it!!! </div>
  • I know the topic has veered, but I wanted to say this about the private donations thing.

1. Money (donations) come with strings, and I want to know who is pulling the strings of our politicians. If I know a certain corporation or business sector is making large donations to a politician, then I know what positions they are likely to take regarding that area.

2. Yes, it says that canidates can't coordinate with Superpacs.  To think that they don't is laughable. You know someone is talking to someone, even though it's probably not the candidate him or herself.

3.  Money gives candidates more exposure, which often automatically gives the more votes.  Sadly, our electorate isn't always the most informed, and some just go by political commercials, etc.  

I think not knowing who is giving all this money can be dangerous.  We may end up electing someone who is just a puppet for whatever/ whoever funded their campaign.  

People say that the ability to donate money is free speech.  Then, more money equals more speech.  That doesn't seem conducive the the democratic process.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_wdyt-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:c2ba2e18-1680-471c-9a80-3a94d3746fbbPost:3834c11e-0b9f-4eb6-8dd6-6e96811fad08">Re: WDYT?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WDYT? : That really sucks. You should be able to believe whatever you want. I actually never really talk politics outside of work. I might go back to that after this. It is so rarely productive at all.  And the VA law rhetoric was poor on my part. I'm on a women's reproductive health rights kick right now.  

The funny part about it is that I worked in gay nightclubs for years and my best friend is gay.  Actually, he is a gay republican, lol.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_wdyt-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:c2ba2e18-1680-471c-9a80-3a94d3746fbbPost:c5f7332b-bc56-4fb6-bae2-c0788b04efd3">Re: WDYT?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know the topic has veered, but I wanted to say this about the private donations thing. 1. Money (donations) come with strings, and I want to know who is pulling the strings of our politicians. If I know a certain corporation or business sector is making large donations to a politician, then I know what positions they are likely to take regarding that area. 2. Yes, it says that canidates can't coordinate with Superpacs.  To think that they don't is laughable. You know someone is talking to someone, even though it's probably not the candidate him or herself. 3.  Money gives candidates more exposure, which often automatically gives the more votes.  Sadly, our electorate isn't always the most informed, and some just go by political commercials, etc.   I think not knowing who is giving all this money can be dangerous.  We may end up electing someone who is just a puppet for whatever/ whoever funded their campaign.   People say that the ability to donate money is free speech.  Then, more money equals more speech.  That doesn't seem conducive the the democratic process.
    Posted by lindseyann410[/QUOTE]

I actually dont necessarily disagree with this, and I think its fine if thats the case moving forward and donors know that. I do have an issue if the game chaged after the fact, if that makes sense.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Sure, I can see that.  SuperPacs are still pretty new though, and I think they're still trying to work out the kinks.

Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards