Just Engaged and Proposals

Princess cut diamond issues?

Hey everyone!!

So I was proposed to last Saturday and am absolutely soo loving the ring he chose! It's a tiffany style solitare princess cut ring, platinum. 
I've heard that the princess cut diamonds can be susceptible to cracking and breaking because of the square corners if they are struck the wrong way. It's just over a carat and I am feeling so paranoid to wear it incase something happens! Does anyone have experience or advice about this?

Thanks!!

Re: Princess cut diamond issues?

• Congratulations on your engagement!

I also have a princess cut stone and had these worries when I first got my ring.  but the corners of my diamond are protected by the prongs on my setting.  Our jeweler also assured us that although the change of chipping is increased, in all of her years as a jeweler, she has NEVER heard of this happening.  I wouldn't worry about it too much.  
    "All that I'm after is a lifetime of laughter, as long as I'm laughing with you"
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
    Photobucket
    My Crafting Blog
    Married Bio
  • Like pp, the prongs on my ring come up the sides of the diamond, so I'm not too worried.

If you're super worried about it, go back and add the insurance and extra warranty coverage (if they offer lifetime, do it!) so that if anything happens, it's covered. Also get it covered under your homeowner's or renter's insurance.
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • Congrats! Mine is the same and I wouldn't worry about it either as the PP said with the prongs, it isn't a big issue. Just make sure and insure it like you would any other diamond!
  • thanks so much for the advice, ladies!!!

the ring has been insured now, and my mind is much more at ease after hearing from all of you!!

• Congratulations on your engagement! I also have a princess cut ring with 3 stones set in platinum and I've had it for 14 months now and haven't had any issues with it. All 4 corners of each stone are protected by prongs so I don't see it being an issue. Good thinking on insuring it! GL!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards