Catholic Weddings

NWR: Your favorite Catholic or Christian Novels

What are your favorite Catholic or Christian novels? I really like Karen Kingsbury - guilt-free pleasure...

Linda
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary

Re: NWR: Your favorite Catholic or Christian Novels

• edited December 2011
    I guess I don't know of any Catholic novels. I have, however, read some of Matthew Kelly's books.
  • agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Bud Mcfarlane Jr Trilogy "Pierced by a sword, Conceived without sin, and House of Gold.

Just read "Fr Elijah" which was also very good.
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I'd have to say the bible although it's not a novel, it's more prose than poetry
  • chelseamb11chelseamb11 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Unplanned by Abby Johnson is REALLY good.
  • Hope61Hope61 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_nwr-favorite-catholic-christian-novels?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:4cdb97d0-c0cf-4c29-9bfc-9bfdcad7f927Post:f1f772a4-9069-4fe4-93f5-7d7e2b23b0cc">Re: NWR: Your favorite Catholic or Christian Novels</a>:
    [QUOTE]I guess I don't know of any Catholic novels.
    Posted by MissySue20[/QUOTE]
    This. You mean fictional works, right?

Christian--Love, love, love C.S. Lewis. Narnia, the space trilogy, "Til we have faces"... as well as his non-fiction work.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Little Gabriel: BFP 7/12/11~EDD 3/21/12, miscarried 8/24/11 at 10w
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_nwr-favorite-catholic-christian-novels?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:4cdb97d0-c0cf-4c29-9bfc-9bfdcad7f927Post:16ccfbe2-b550-4e11-9ded-313153df9091">Re: NWR: Your favorite Catholic or Christian Novels</a>:
    [QUOTE]Bud Mcfarlane Jr Trilogy "Pierced by a sword, Conceived without sin, and House of Gold. Just read "Fr Elijah" which was also very good.
    Posted by agapecarrie[/QUOTE]

<div>I can't remember which one of these it is, but one has a graphic description of horrible torture committed on a cat. I put the books away and will never read them again. Couldn't get the image out of  my head for weeks; it still makes me nauseous.</div><div>
    </div><div>Linda</div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • HandBananaHandBanana member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Love my Chronicles of Narnia.  C.S. Lewis is amazing.

I haven't read them for a while but I was also a sucker for the Left Behind series.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • lalaith50lalaith50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I love the "Chronicles of Narnia" too! I was definitely going to recommend anything by C.S. Lewis!

But if anyone hasn't already read the "Left Behind" series, and is thinking about it, I would highly NOT recommend them, because not only are they based on a very un-Catholic interpretation of the Bible, they are also quite anti-Catholic.
    Anniversary
  • shawna127shawna127 member
    edited December 2011
    I love the shack!!  It is one of my favorite books :o)  Oh and C.S. Lewis is amazing!!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • caitriona87caitriona87 member
    edited December 2011
    I haven't really read any Catholic novels per se but I really enjoy non-fiction books with a theological/philosophical bent--things by C.S. Lewis, G.K. Chesterton, Abp. Fulton Sheen, and Peter Kreeft.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • KamakananiKamakanani member
    edited December 2011
    Some of the most peaceful books I've read are various ones written by Beverly Lewis.  She tends to base her novels in Amish Country.  Very tranquil reads for the most part, and I LOVE the Abram's Daughters series.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

One thing to remember: The wedding is just one day. The marriage is all the rest of them.

April 2012 Siggy Challenge: Cake Inspiration
  • HandBananaHandBanana member
    edited December 2011
    I'm aware they are written from a Protestant view and not Catholic.  They are considered anti-Catholic by some but not all Catholics.  The authors themselves have come out and said that they are not anti-Catholic but encourage a more personal relationship with Christ.  I think you would have to read it to draw your own conclusion.

When they write about the rapture they actually talk about many many many Catholics being raptured including the Pope.  It is the replacement Pope that is not a good person.

Personally, the books inspired me to think of being a Catholic and Christian as much much much more than attending Mass on Sunday.

ETA: I forgot to quote the post I was resonding to but I was addressing the Left Behind series being called anti-Catholic and the urge that no one should read it. 
  • edited December 2011

I don't really know a lot of Catholic books, but I really enjoy the Love Inspired books, because I'm a hopeless romantic and these are wonderfully clean. I really like Francine Rivers, especially "Redeeming Love" and her Mark of the Lion series. Lori Wick is an enjoyable read as well.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

September Sig Challenge- Bouquet
  • lalaith50lalaith50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    If anyone would like to learn more about whether the Left Behind books are anti-Catholic, here is an interesting (and short!) article that I just found:
    http://www.catholicleague.org/research/leftbehind.htm
    The author's defense of the books being non-anti-Catholic is, "we have lots of Catholic readers and friends." Hm, perhaps, but reading through this article, and especially the quotes that are pulled out from the books, as well as the author's quotes from other sources should not make any Catholic feel comfortable or believe he is not "anti-Catholic"!
    Anniversary
  • MuddyInsigniaMuddyInsignia member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Shack
    History of God by Karen Armstrong (but it is very dense, so be careful)
    CS Lewis, of course
    ... like KatiKitten, I like those love series books as well
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards