Virginia

Were to get wedding cake?

Hey girls,

I live out in Norfolk/Virginia Beach area.  Any recommendations on places to get a wedding cake made?  Also, how much do they usually cost (for 130 people..).  A lady gave me an estimate for $600!!! That's crazy!!

Let me know if you know of any good (and reasonable) cake makers.

Thanks!

Re: Were to get wedding cake?

• edited December 2011
    You'll be hard-pressed to find someone much cheaper - most places charge between $4-$5/serving.  You might consider getting a smaller tiered cake and using sheet cake to feed most of the guests.

We used Custom Cake Shoppe on Va Beach Blvd. after tasting it at a friends wedding.  They have free sampler plates available on Saturdays for pick up.  The cake was absolutely delicious.  We ended up spending around $650 for 160 guests. You can see pictures on my bio (link in siggy).
  • edited December 2011
    My sister used Charlie Little for her wedding last year. His cake was beyond delicious and he was amazing to work with. Besides the venue itself I think he was her favorite vendor. I believe she paid around $580 for a cake to feed about 120. I wasn't there for her cake tasting but apparently he sent a bunch of samples home with my sister after she met with him. She ended up with a buttercream cake with four different flavor combinations. I think he lives around Williamsburg but i'm sure he would travel out to Norfolk.

http://www.cakesbycharlie.com/index.html
  • youngadyoungad member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It might be too far but in Newport News just north of J Clyde Event Central does free cake tastings every first Saturday of the month and they charge by the tier rather than the slice. They also have the dummy tier option available. see eventcentral.com
  • edited December 2011
    I got my cake from G's cake shop in VB on Auburn Dr. It was wonderful and very affordable.  Also try Shockley Sweets, their cakes are awesome and they do a good job at working in your budget (coming up with good alternatives)
  • mscreneetmscreneet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used Silverspoon Bakery out of Portsmouth VA
    The cake was absolutely gorgeous and delish!!!

Her price was very fair and we ended up with NO cake left at all. We ordered a little larger because we wanted to have some for family who would be coming over to our parents house during the week however we ended up with nothing....our guest actually ate every last piece

http://www.silverspoonva.com/index2.php?v=v1
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • courtnikocourtniko member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Simply Connie has good cake, for cheap.  I think that for around 100 people it would have cost us under $400 (which is lower than other quotes that we got).
  • burnsbabyburnsbaby member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Bennets Corner Bakery in Chesapeake is like $3 a slice and it's really good! They're on Mount Pleasant Road in Hickory.
    "I love you.. even when you're sick and look disgusting!" -Love Actually
    My Planning Bio
  • edited December 2011
    I am using Mrs B's Cheesecakes.. She makes regular cakes as well.. She is off of Indepdence Blvd in Virginia Beach.  The cost per slice (per guest) is only $2.50 for regular cake and $3.50 for cheesecake.  And let me tell you.. The BEST cake I have tried!
    So, you are looking at about $325 :)
  • burnsbabyburnsbaby member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    you could also do that whole sheet cake in the back thing. Bennet's charges 50 for a sheet cake to feed 60. If you opt for a smaller wedding cake, you could save money. If it's made by the same baker and the same flavors, who cares?
    "I love you.. even when you're sick and look disgusting!" -Love Actually
    My Planning Bio
  • edited December 2011
    Plaza Bakery on Laskin has tasty cakes and are affordable.  Its been a long times since I've been there, but I also recall their cakes being a little old fashioned - a bit frilly, no fondant - so it depends on your style.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards