Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Any gaps in my menu? Need more veggie dishes?

We're going to be having a hog roast at our reception, and I'm trying to get a menu set. We have someone coming to do the pork (plain and bbq, plus buns). We are also planning on-

baked beans
potato salad
pasta salad (with italian dressing and veggies)
chips
cheese tray
fruit tray with dip
veggie tray with dip

lemonade, slushies (alcoholic and non), various sodas, water

cake and chocolate covered strawberries

I feel like there's not enough for vegetarians (or non-pork eaters) maybe? The only guest I'm sure will not eat the pork is my sister and she won't give me any other suggestions.

Any feedback is appreciated!
Photobucket photo 899306-2148.jpg
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Any gaps in my menu? Need more veggie dishes?

• Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2012
    What about doing a chicken dish and maybe add in some greenbeans or corn on the cobb?

ETA:  mac and cheese as a possible option as well?

• I think mac and cheese would be a good addition, or you could substitute it for the pasta salad (although if you have vegans, I would leave the pasta salad and have it be vegan).  Can you make sure that the baked beans are vegetarian?  If you could do another veggie, I think that would be good to balance out the meal--maybe some grilled veggies, or even a green salad.
  • I was thinking mac&cheese, but I can't seem to find anywhere to get it in the small rural area of our reception. There's really only one place to get things, or make it ourselves (which I don't want to try with mac&cheese!)

There aren't any vegans, and as far as I know no vegetarians either. My sister isn't even a vegetarian, she's just constantly on a very strict diet. Most of my friends and family are total carnivores, but I like to cover my bases!

I think I'll try to add in some chicken and corn on the cob, and maybe a green salad. Thanks!
  • I think a green salad is essential.   Sounds tasty! Love the alcoholic slushies!
  • Thanks! And the slushies are so good, I'm looking forward to those more than the cake even!
  • Have some portobello mushrooms on hand to grill so that people who are vegetarian can have sandwiches too :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards