Wedding Etiquette Forum

Anti-Santa News Anchor

Re: Anti-Santa News Anchor

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_anti-santa-news-anchor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:cdb0a3f3-274f-4663-8515-95b61fb424b9Post:04d74e32-7d74-45ef-81a0-a36905cf0208">Re: Anti-Santa News Anchor</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anti-Santa News Anchor : One year we did Christmas in Cali, and my uncle snuck out with a red flashlight and went behind the stone fence in the backyard, and darted it around in the dark.  My parents wanted us to feel like Santa would still come when we were on vacation but I remember thinking that Rudolph's nose was way bigger than I ever imagined and it scared the crap out of me.
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

Haha too funny!
    One year I desperately wanted an Easy Bake Oven.  I opened all my presents Christmas morning and it was not there.  I was SO disappointed!  Then, my mom walked past the front door, pretended to be all surprised and said there was something black in the middle of the yard.  It was my easy bake oven, all wrapped and in a black garbage bag.  We deduced that Santa must have dropped it off the roof.  Then I was all worried iit was going to be broken from having fallen that far, but my mom pointed out that Santa's magic probably saved it from breaking lol
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_anti-santa-news-anchor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:cdb0a3f3-274f-4663-8515-95b61fb424b9Post:5b849925-ac02-453f-9dcf-f6263664b5b2">Re: Anti-Santa News Anchor</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm going to try the whole Santa thing with my kids. It was always fun as a kid - and I didn't feel any resentment towards my parents at all when I found out the truth. I just understood. I was also much older - maybe 10 or 11 - before I truly stopped "believing" - though I'm one of those belivers in spirit of Santa.<strong> For those of you claiming it's lying - good luck never telling your kids a lie - even a white one</strong>. I'm not Christian - so for my kids - Christmas will be about family, generosity, and Santa.
    Posted by BrightFirefly[/QUOTE]

Oh I know. It's just so elaborate. You're creating a whole person and story and leaving fake presents and eating cookies.  It's very cute, but I think you can have all of that without presenting it as something real.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_anti-santa-news-anchor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:cdb0a3f3-274f-4663-8515-95b61fb424b9Post:04d74e32-7d74-45ef-81a0-a36905cf0208">Re: Anti-Santa News Anchor</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anti-Santa News Anchor : One year we did Christmas in Cali, and my uncle snuck out with a red flashlight and went behind the stone fence in the backyard, and darted it around in the dark.  My parents wanted us to feel like Santa would still come when we were on vacation but I remember thinking that Rudolph's nose was way bigger than I ever imagined and it scared the crap out of me.
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

Haha that is hilarious and cute. I remember a classmate of mine was telling everyone that Santa wasn't real (around the same time as when I found out) and his reasoning was because he saw his dad putting the santa gifts out (not knowing it was his dad) late at night and was like "SANTA ISN'T BLACK!!!"
  • We also wrote letters to santa every year and my mom would write back to us. My mom and dad would eat some of the cookies we left out and drink the milk. It was so cool! I remember being so excited that Santa wrote us back and answered our silly questions about how the reindeer and elves were doing.

• There's this video of my brother I love.
    My dad was calling pretending to be Santa at the North Pole. My mom passes the phone to him and he answers. There's a bit of silence and a blank look for about 30 seconds, and he just starts bawling hysterically and falls to his knees yelling. "YOU KNOW MY PHONE NUMBER?!"
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_anti-santa-news-anchor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:cdb0a3f3-274f-4663-8515-95b61fb424b9Post:1aac54d3-586c-4a1e-beed-7d0ed6e040f8">Re: Anti-Santa News Anchor</a>:
    [QUOTE]We also wrote letters to santa every year and my mom would write back to us. My mom and dad would eat some of the cookies we left out and drink the milk. It was so cool! I remember being so excited that Santa wrote us back and answered our silly questions about how the reindeer and elves were doing.
    Posted by midgetthemighty[/QUOTE]

I wish my parents would have done that! I always wrote to Santa and I came up with this elaborate reasoning in my head about how the Postal Service knew where to send santa's letters. (since all we ever wrote was North Pole) I decided if you got a job with the PS you were indoctrined in some kind of secret cult meeting where they made you swear in blood that you would never tell a soul where the north pole was.
  • Honestly, I am sort of looking forward to being able to tell my kids "you better not do that, Santa will find out!" I'm an asshole. I believed in Santa, and then I didn't. It wasn't a big deal to me since I knew I would still be getting presents. I didn't feel betrayed or lied to, I don't know, I am not sure at the age I learned about it I even knew what that emotion was.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_anti-santa-news-anchor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:cdb0a3f3-274f-4663-8515-95b61fb424b9Post:2be55eca-2cf7-4850-8be6-9dc47f10b448">Re: Anti-Santa News Anchor</a>:
    [QUOTE]Eh, i think there are plenty more things on the news that I'd rather not have small children seeing or understanding than in a tv show though. My parents didn't let me watch the news with them until I was about the same age as when I found out about Santa.
    Posted by musicalsunlight[/QUOTE]

<div>I can't remember a time when I didn't watch the news with my parents.  Although, I grew up before 24 hours news and internet (I'm old).  So the evening news was all you got until the next morning.   It was not as graphic as it is now either.</div>

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I always loved putting out cookies for Santa and they'd be gone in the morning.  That was so fun.  We'd decorate them together and leave them where we knew he wouldn't step on them.
    panther
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_anti-santa-news-anchor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:cdb0a3f3-274f-4663-8515-95b61fb424b9Post:79d8a724-7be6-46c2-a0b4-6b19f1d75740">Re: Anti-Santa News Anchor</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anti-Santa News Anchor : I can't remember a time when I didn't watch the news with my parents.  Although, I grew up before 24 hours news and internet (I'm old).  So the evening news was all you got until the next morning.   It was not as graphic as it is now either.
    Posted by lyndausvi[/QUOTE]

Yeah I think that the main reason my parents didn't let me watch it was because of the graphic nature that at least one story had every night. Also, they knew if I heard about murders/crime,etc, I would probably not sleep that night.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_anti-santa-news-anchor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:cdb0a3f3-274f-4663-8515-95b61fb424b9Post:61c0a8c3-267a-4246-b7d8-8c2c68c2297d">Re: Anti-Santa News Anchor</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anti-Santa News Anchor : Oh I know. It's just so elaborate. You're creating a whole person and story and leaving fake presents and eating cookies.  It's very cute, but I think you can have all of that without presenting it as something real.
    Posted by andrea2473[/QUOTE]

It's really not all that elaborate.  They're real presents.  You sign a different name to them.  I also give my kids a present from each pet every year.  But here's the thing- my pets didn't buy them.  So I'm lying there, too.  But you know what?  It's a good lie.  Because it's magic. And when you're little, magic is amazing and you should be given the freedom to believe in all the magic you can imagine for as long as you can imagine it. 

I also make my computer talk to my oldest son.  Her name is Karen.  And she's magic.  And I'm reasonably certain she'll be an amazing childhood memory, not an elaborate lie created by his parents.  I'm not a Dursley.  My house is magic.  And my kids absolutely love it. 
  • I believed in Santa, desperately, until I was 11. I had a friend who felt the same way I did, so this helped. We had all sorts of theories and stuff about how he pulled this off, and absolutely refused to accept the truth.

I have every intention of having Santa for my children, because to me, Santa is the "spirit" of Christmas, those magical things that happen "just because". Two years ago, I did a Christmas collection for a student I was tutoring who suddenly became homeless. A few facebook messages later, I had $600 in presents, 2 weeks rent at a hotel, and a full Christmas dinner to bring them on Christmas Eve. To me, that's "santa"
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • How long did you believe in Santa? 
    For a long time, longer than most I think. But my family had a big Santa charade - a family friend plays Santa for a local church and looks just like how you'd imagine Santa. There was always an elaborate to-do at Grandma's on Christmas Eve where Santa would come over, give us gifts, etc. So I always believed Santa was just good friends with us and liked us better, ha.

After I found out the truth, I was more than happy to keep up that charade for my little brother. It was so much fun.

How did you find out he wasn't real?
    I don't remember the moment. I do, however, remeber asking my mom if the tooth fairy was real, and when she admitted no, I asked about the Easer Bunny and it snowballed from there. Then I said, 'Well I know Santa is real, because you and Dad would never buy me all those awesome presents.' Mom just laughed and said I was right. So, I believed in Santa longer than anything else, again probably because of seeing him every year.

Are there any people out there who won't be raising their kids to believe in Santa?  If so, why not?
    If I had kids, they would believe in Santa for as long as possible. I would never deny that part of childhood magic from my kids.
  • Mel, I used to get presents from my cat every year.  I loved that.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_anti-santa-news-anchor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:cdb0a3f3-274f-4663-8515-95b61fb424b9Post:57d815e0-63b3-4f8c-bf5d-fc1e3e7ecb28">Re: Anti-Santa News Anchor</a>:
    [QUOTE]I believed in Santa, desperately, until I was 11. I had a friend who felt the same way I did, so this helped. We had all sorts of theories and stuff about how he pulled this off, and absolutely refused to accept the truth. I have every intention of having Santa for my children, because to me, Santa is the "spirit" of Christmas, those magical things that happen "just because". Two years ago, I did a Christmas collection for a student I was tutoring who suddenly became homeless. A few facebook messages later, I had $600 in presents, 2 weeks rent at a hotel, and a full Christmas dinner to bring them on Christmas Eve. To me, that's "santa"
    Posted by krizzo17[/QUOTE]

That is so cool!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_anti-santa-news-anchor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:cdb0a3f3-274f-4663-8515-95b61fb424b9Post:79d8a724-7be6-46c2-a0b4-6b19f1d75740">Re: Anti-Santa News Anchor</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anti-Santa News Anchor : I can't remember a time when I didn't watch the news with my parents.  Although, I grew up before 24 hours news and internet (I'm old).  So the evening news was all you got until the next morning.   It was not as graphic as it is now either.

I'm with you - though I'm 23. I was always allowed to watch the news. My mom would always have the noon news on - and then my parents would watch the evening news. I was never shuffled out of the room.

And now I'm all about the news - always reading it or watching it.

I don't remember ever being traumatized by anything on the news..though..this anti-santa  news cast might have done it. :p
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_anti-santa-news-anchor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:cdb0a3f3-274f-4663-8515-95b61fb424b9Post:b320978e-6597-4d2c-b63c-8ea972b87f07">Re: Anti-Santa News Anchor</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anti-Santa News Anchor : I'm with you - though I'm 23. I was always allowed to watch the news. My mom would always have the noon news on - and then my parents would watch the evening news. I was never shuffled out of the room. And now I'm all about the news - always reading it or watching it. <strong>I don't remember ever being traumatized by anything on the news..though..this anti-santa  news cast might have done it. :p</strong>
    Posted by BrightFirefly[/QUOTE]

I don't think it was a worry of being traumatized for me/my parents. It was more just that "scary" stories were likely to make me less able to fall asleep afterward. As a kid it is harder to separate the likelihood of something like that happening from yourself.
  • Krizzo, I like you. That's fantastic.

Musu, I like your theory! I have a close friend who works for the PS. Maybe I should ask him. ;)
  • My uncle always has our presents be from him, the family, the dogs, the cats, and the cows he raises for beef.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_anti-santa-news-anchor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:cdb0a3f3-274f-4663-8515-95b61fb424b9Post:6e9990f6-c7cb-4588-94ec-c0a396f02529">Re: Anti-Santa News Anchor</a>:
    [QUOTE]Krizzo, I like you. That's fantastic. Musu, I like your theory! I have a close friend who works for the PS. Maybe I should ask him. ;)
    Posted by midgetthemighty[/QUOTE]

Haha, thinking back on it, it was a rather morbid idea.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_anti-santa-news-anchor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:cdb0a3f3-274f-4663-8515-95b61fb424b9Post:7998dcc2-8bb4-498f-850e-23e744aa8923">Re: Anti-Santa News Anchor</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anti-Santa News Anchor : It's really not all that elaborate.  They're real presents.  You sign a different name to them.  I also give my kids a present from each pet every year.  But here's the thing- my pets didn't buy them.  So I'm lying there, too.  But you know what?  It's a good lie.  Because it's magic. And when you're little, magic is amazing and you should be given the freedom to believe in all the magic you can imagine for as long as you can imagine it.  I also make my computer talk to my oldest son.  Her name is Karen.  And she's magic.  And I'm reasonably certain she'll be an amazing childhood memory, not an elaborate lie created by his parents.  I'm not a Dursley.  My house is magic.  And my kids absolutely love it. 
    Posted by The Mel and Todd Show[/QUOTE]

I can see all that.  I really can.  My first post in this thread did say that I am torn on the issue.  I think not pretending he is real boosts the imagination too because the child can create their own vision of Santa and have fun with it.   It can still be "magical" just not in a literal sense.

However, like with most parental issues, I kind of figure we'll just make that decision when we actually have a kid.  It's kind of hard to know what we will do exactly until we are in the situation.   My sister was very against it but has a 3 year old and is considering it a little bit now. 
  • I have learned a major life lesson here. Don't be a Dursley. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_anti-santa-news-anchor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:cdb0a3f3-274f-4663-8515-95b61fb424b9Post:a7e31022-b19b-4e10-905c-1695e6a7b0e5">Re: Anti-Santa News Anchor</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anti-Santa News Anchor : I think I'd be weirded out to get a gift from a cow that's being raised for food. "Hey, remember that great gift the cow got you last year? In the spirit of continued giving, he's your Christmas dinner this year!"
    Posted by djhar[/QUOTE]

Right?  I thought it was a little odd.  But my uncle is just like that.  Whenever he gives us monetary gifts, the check is always like ___3.29, so like 53.29 or 103.29.  His birthday is March 29th, and you better believe I will never forget it haha.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_anti-santa-news-anchor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:cdb0a3f3-274f-4663-8515-95b61fb424b9Post:7998dcc2-8bb4-498f-850e-23e744aa8923">Re: Anti-Santa News Anchor</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anti-Santa News Anchor : It's really not all that elaborate.  They're real presents.  You sign a different name to them.  I also give my kids a present from each pet every year.  But here's the thing- my pets didn't buy them.  So I'm lying there, too.  But you know what?  It's a good lie.  Because it's magic. And when you're little, magic is amazing and you should be given the freedom to believe in all the magic you can imagine for as long as you can imagine it.  I also make my computer talk to my oldest son.  Her name is Karen.  And she's magic.  And I'm reasonably certain she'll be an amazing childhood memory, not an elaborate lie created by his parents. <strong> I'm not a Dursley.</strong>  My house is magic.  And my kids absolutely love it. 
    Posted by The Mel and Todd Show[/QUOTE]

<div>I <3 you.</div><div>
    </div><div>I also got presents from the dog and from Santa. I might still get Santa presents actually, I just can't remember because I haven't done Christmas with my dad for the past 3 years.</div><div>
    </div><div>I understand the logical argument of it being contradictory to say it's ok for a man to come into your house and to accept presents from him, ditto the lying part, but really? None of us got into the candyman's van because we thought he was Santa, and out of all the myriad parent issues on this board, I'm willing to bet none is based in the fact that Mommy and Daddy lied about Santa.</div>
  • When my brothers stop believing in Santa we started attending mid-night mass with my grandmother who lived about 30 minutes away.   After mass we would go back to grandma's for monkey bread and then get home around 2-3am.   When we walked in the door the house was filled with presents.    Apparently little elves (our neighbors) still wanted us to be surprised.  It was awesome.

But my favorite Christmas memory is after the tree went up  my parents starting to put gifts under the tree with numbers on them.  The numbers went from 1 until whatever.   For 20-something days gifts would just appear with a number on them. You had no idea who got what box.  We would pick them up, shake them trying to figure out which of the 4 us gift it was.    We even made side-bets.

When we returned from Grandma's at 2am mom would pull out the master list and one round at a time she would call out some random numbers for us to pull out to open.  There was NO logic behind the numbers.  One round might be her saying "Lynda gets #14, J # 24, A # 2 and P gets # 11"   It was the best way to have christmas when no one believes anymore in Santa.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Lynda, that's a great idea! I love it. Very unique.
  • Mel.  You give me happy feelings. That was wonderfully written.

And Em. If you and Mel and I got togehter, we'd have a MEM sandwich.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_anti-santa-news-anchor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:cdb0a3f3-274f-4663-8515-95b61fb424b9Post:ce57b568-9316-42ef-88da-63ad4f17561c">Re: Anti-Santa News Anchor</a>:
    [QUOTE]When my brothers stop believing in Santa we started attending mid-night mass with my grandmother who lived about 30 minutes away.   After mass we would go back to grandma's for monkey bread and then get home around 2-3am.   When we walked in the door the house was filled with presents.    Apparently little elves (our neighbors) still wanted us to be surprised.  It was awesome. But my favorite Christmas memory is after the tree went up  my parents starting to put gifts under the tree with numbers on them.  The numbers went from 1 until whatever.   For 20-something days gifts would just appear with a number on them. You had no idea who got what box.  We would pick them up, shake them trying to figure out which of the 4 us gift it was.    We even made side-bets. When we returned from Grandma's at 2am mom would pull out the master list and one round at a time she would call out some random numbers for us to pull out to open.  There was NO logic behind the numbers.  One round might be her saying "Lynda gets #14, J # 24, A # 2 and P gets # 11"   It was the best way to have christmas when no one believes anymore in Santa.

My parents did that with us too so that we couldn't get what we got because we had no idea which present went with whom.
  • When I was 12 my parents wrapped all of my presents instead of leaving some unwrapped as a surprise on Christmas morning. I was not having it. I was a spoiled brat too. I cried b/c I still wanted Santa presents. My dad is a pushover and went to Wal-mart and bought a basketball goal, scooter and some other stuff to be the "unwrapped santa presents"

Spoiled rotten child. Party of Me.

But now my parents don't wrap most of my gifts so it's like 1 wrapped present and everything else is "santa" I screwed myself after that year.
  • LDY your presents from Santa weren't wrapped?
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards