March 2012 Weddings

Underwater/ impact resistent cameras

Has anyone purchased or are you thinking about purchasing an underwater and/or impact resistent digital camera before your HM?  My college roommate had one for most of our college years and it was amazing.  I want to say she spent ~$300 (6 years ago?) and it survived until sometime last year.  We took it everywhere-- camping, parties, road trips, snorkeling.. I'm seriously considering getting one so we can take tons of pictures on the HM and not worry about it getting wet or dropping it.. but I'm also concerned about bringing something so expensive and possibly losing it.  How many pictures of two people can you take anyway??

Figured I'd find out what you ladies are doing to help figure out what to do! TIA!

Anniversary

Re: Underwater/ impact resistent cameras

• edited March 2012
    I have a Kodak EasyShare Sport ($60-somthing at WalMart).  I bought it last year for camp and have used it ever since.  LOVE that camera.  I've dropped it down stairs, swam in lakes and oceans with it, went on a zip line last week with it, and it's held up nicely.  And for $60 I don't hesitate to take it in a situation where it might get ruined because I can easily just buy another.  But so far it's taken my abuse in stride.

I have a bunch of videos I took with it while on our honeymoon on my YouTube channel:  http://www.youtube.com/jebuell 

Janine & Cody | Georgetown, Grand Cayman | Feb. 28th, 2012

Surprise BFP | Baby Due Late July/Early August 2013

Pregnancy Ticker

I believe in a lot of things. I believe in fresh tennis balls, the healing power of bunnies, and that the novels of Susan Sontag are something I'll never read. In fact, I don't even know who Susan Sontag is. What is she... like... a painter? I believe in Crystal Lite because I believe in ME. I believe in the movies of Val Kilmer, though these days it ain't so easy. I believe in Darren Sproles, the word "dabble", the first season of "Silk Stockings", and big, warm, moist, gooey chocolate chip cookies that melt in your mouth and all over your face.

• Thanks for the info!! Maybe it's not worth spending the big bucks afterall!
    Anniversary
  • thanks for the info!!!!
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have this one CLICK.  I have had it for a couple of years.  So I paid substantially more when I bought it but I absoulty love it!  However this is not my only camera, I have a DSLR that I use all the time but this underwater camera is my "purse" camera.  It goes everywhere with me... Been snorkling in several different times, mudding, you name it.  I COULD not live without this camera...  And after looking it up online - this makes me want to upgrade it so badly - BUT FI would kill me!  :)

I highly reccommend getting one.  I know my SSIL got this one for her wedding/HM CLICK.  And she seems to really like it.

For fun (because I'm seriously missing vacation) both taken with my underwater camera:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I just ordered this CLICKY for my Nikon Coolpix... I like the idea of only having one camera for everything, an FH just bought my Nikon for me last year.
    This casing is just for Nikon, but I'm sure there are similar products out there for other brands.
  • The camera I am taking isn't water proof or impact resistant. My is a Canon Rebel XS DSLR camera with the manual zoom and all kinds of other cool functions on it. It is a very pricey (over $500) camera but I am taking it anyway. I know on one hiking weekend trip my FI and I took over 140 pictures so I am sure we ill come back with a lot mare than that this time. I have a co-worker who is letting taker her waterproof camera with us just incase as well.
    imageAnniversary
  • We were thinking about getting some disposable underwater cameras for off the cruise. I have a nice canon but I'm terrified of losing it or breaking it. I'll bring it, but I don't want to take it to the beach or on excursions. I think we're just getting some at walmart.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_march-2012-weddings_underwater-impact-resistent-cameras?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:955e4823-0be1-44ef-9ee7-99a63794e103Discussion:31af93ba-fcc0-4367-bceb-e053477fe35dPost:0830f6a1-0502-465a-aaa1-b977ca10713d">Re: Underwater/ impact resistent cameras</a>:
    [QUOTE]We were thinking about getting some disposable underwater cameras for off the cruise. I have a nice canon but I'm terrified of losing it or breaking it. I'll bring it, but I don't want to take it to the beach or on excursions. I think we're just getting some at walmart.
    Posted by ralbro[/QUOTE]

To be completely honest, I think you'd be better off buying a cheaper underwater camera than the disposable underwater cameras.  Those things take HORRIBLE pictures - at least the one that I had did, half of them didn't turn out... And for the amount of money you spend on the disposable, plus to get them developed, and put on a disc, you'd probably be about even when its all said and done.  Just my opinion though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • We have this Lumix. It goes up to 10m underwater and is virtually unbreakable. We use it all the time, its great for actual underwater but also just 'wet' activities like kayaking or rafting. It takes good underwater photos but is also great just as a normal camera. We paid about $280 I think with a memory card.
  • This is our only thing we really want on our registry! We decided if no one buys it by the end of next week, we will just buy it for ourselves so we have it. The one on our registry is the Kodak z5 video camera, I think. It's about $100. We are also looking at the Olympus Stylus Tough line (heard great things) and the Sony Cybershot waterproof (TX10, I think).
  • edited March 2012
    We are going to purchase an underwater camera! I don't want to have to worry about the camera we have getting wet & ruined. Thanks for this post, it helps me out as well!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards