Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Wedding day timeline

I have my reception site from 9am and we have to be out at 930pm. Our menu is ideal for an early dinner (sandwiches and salads). Im not sure what time I should start cermony, receptiopn etc...I have to start working on my invitiations and im not sure what my times are yet.  Ceremony and reception are at the same site. Any ideas??

Re: Wedding day timeline

• Options
    With serving sandwhiches and salads, that sounds more like a lunch meal then an early dinner meal.  Why not have the ceremony at 11 or 11:30 and then have cocktail hour start at 11:30 or 12, then lunch served and reception start at 12:30 or 1pm.  If you are having dancing and drinks then count on a 3-4 hour reception so you are looking at possibly having the whole day done and over with by 3:30 or 4:30 or maybe even 5pm.

• Options
    Thank you for your hlelp..  I was kind of hoping to have everything go up until 9pm.. but I guess the menu kind of throws it off... hmmm. 
    <div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-day-timeline-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9bf100b7-b5ab-4c01-9d64-1ecf9177b70aPost:bb3fb3a3-62cc-468e-8445-3f4c747f4436">Re: Wedding day timeline</a>:
    [QUOTE]With serving sandwhiches and salads, that sounds more like a lunch meal then an early dinner meal.  Why not have the ceremony at 11 or 11:30 and then have cocktail hour start at 11:30 or 12, then lunch served and reception start at 12:30 or 1pm.  If you are having dancing and drinks then count on a 3-4 hour reception so you are looking at possibly having the whole day done and over with by 3:30 or 4:30 or maybe even 5pm.
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]

</div>
  • Options
    I would do lunch as well especially since you have to be out by 9. It is probably going to take at least an hour to pack up all your wedding stuff so you would need to end the event before 8 anyway.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-day-timeline-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:9bf100b7-b5ab-4c01-9d64-1ecf9177b70aPost:1d0115f2-2254-4290-bf30-eea95a4c370a">Re: Wedding day timeline</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you for your hlelp..  I was kind of hoping to have everything go up until 9pm.. but I guess the menu kind of throws it off... hmmm.  In Response to Re: Wedding day timeline :
    Posted by Beetini[/QUOTE]

Do you have to stick with sandwhiches and salads?  Is it a budget concern?

• Options
    Unfortunately its more of a budget concern.. While I havent set the menu in stone with the caterer. It is the cheapest option. <div>In your opionion- Would eating sandwiches and salads around 4 be odd? I dont want my guests to be starving by the end of the night </div><div>
    </div><div> Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-day-timeline-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9bf100b7-b5ab-4c01-9d64-1ecf9177b70aPost:1531b839-4222-4183-a6dd-5b9e0eb97d5d">Re: Wedding day timeline</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wedding day timeline : Do you have to stick with sandwhiches and salads?  Is it a budget concern?
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]

</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-day-timeline-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:9bf100b7-b5ab-4c01-9d64-1ecf9177b70aPost:8712ee55-259e-4ddd-b176-97812dd7dd97">Re: Wedding day timeline</a>:
    [QUOTE]Unfortunately its more of a budget concern.. While I havent set the menu in stone with the caterer. It is the cheapest option.  In your opionion- Would eating sandwiches and salads around 4 be odd? I dont want my guests to be starving by the end of the night   Response to Re: Wedding day timeline :

Honestly?  Yes I would find that odd.  Around that time I would be expecting more dinner type food like a piece of meat, a starch and a veggie.

Do you have to stick with this caterer?  Have you considered an italian or bbq type food?  Typically pasta dishes can be pretty inexpensive.

• Options
    I agree with Maggie. When I think of sandwiches, I think of lunch. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    If I ate a sandwich at 4, I'd be home by 7pm because I'd be hungry and I'm no fun dancing on an empty stomach.
  • Options
    what about using a pasta/italian caterer?  you could probably get trays of different italian dishes with a couple of salads for a price similar or just slightly more than the sandwiches.

i agree you cant really serve sandwiches at 4 or 5 pm.... i mean, it is a meal, but peple will definitley  be expecting dinner/hot food at that time unless you are doing it at a park and you specify "picnic reception" or something like that.
  • Options
    I wish this could work. We have already paid the deposit for the caterer. they have an italian menu but it is over our own budget. I guess I will to make our menu for lunch instead. Maybe do something for an after party since we will be out so early. Thank you! <div>
    </div><div>n Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-day-timeline-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9bf100b7-b5ab-4c01-9d64-1ecf9177b70aPost:2fcb8c84-3cae-4dc7-9b5f-0848c3974a9f">Re: Wedding day timeline</a>:
    [QUOTE]what about using a pasta/italian caterer?  you could probably get trays of different italian dishes with a couple of salads for a price similar or just slightly more than the sandwiches. i agree you cant really serve sandwiches at 4 or 5 pm.... i mean, it is a meal, but peple will definitley  be expecting dinner/hot food at that time unless you are doing it at a park and you specify "picnic reception" or something like that.
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]

</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-day-timeline-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:9bf100b7-b5ab-4c01-9d64-1ecf9177b70aPost:94f945b1-b9b2-4306-925f-b682f8d0c6ad">Re: Wedding day timeline</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wish this could work. We have already paid the deposit for the caterer. they have an italian menu but it is over our own budget. I guess I will to make our menu for lunch instead.<strong> Maybe do something for an after party since we will be out so early</strong>. Thank you!  n Response to Re: Wedding day timeline :

Just an FYI, if you do anything formal, meaning actual invites and such for the after-party then it will be up to you and your FI to host whoever comes.  But just by discussing with some friends and family about meeting at a place to grab some drinks or what not will keep you off the hook for having to host/pay for anything.

• Options
    why wouldnt you just put the afterparty money towards the food at your wedding?

how much deposit money are we talking about?  might be worth cutting your losses?  if its a popular caterer, you might be able to get them to give the deposit back if they know they will get other business to fill your slot.
  • Options
    How formal is your wedding?  What type of sandwiches were you planning?  
    Where I grew up it was extremely commion to have a buffet with some type of hot sandwich along with a few sides at wedding receptions.  These were definitely less formal events, but I don't think sandwiches and salads automatically disquality you from an evening reception.   If sandwiches = coldcuts, then I agree with PP.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards