Catholic Weddings
Options

What's an appropriate confirmation gift?

My fiance's goddaughter is being confirmed next weekend and he is clueless as to what to get her for gifts because he's a guy ha ha. What's an appropriate gift in the 50100 range? He got her a rosary from the vatican last year because he was in the area, and now is wishing he'd saved it for this occasion.

Thanks ladies :
image 312 Invited
image 182 Are ready to party!
image 127 Will be missing out!
image 3 Are MIA!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: What's an appropriate confirmation gift?

• Options
    A card with $100 in it?

I'm assuming she might be of the age that she's saving for college, a car, who knows what...

Your FI could write a heartfelt message and/or select a scripture verse for her.
  • Options
    maggieandreymaggieandrey member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited November 2012
    I suggested a gift card someplace she likes to shop because she's very much into clothes right now, but he wasn't sure if cash or a gift card is too impersonal for the occasion. Guarantee he's not going to be able to come up with a heartfelt message, he's just not that kind of guy!
    image 312 Invited
    image 3 Are MIA!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Really? He's incapable of writing a nice note to his Goddaughter? Ok...

But anyways, I don't know of any teenager who wouldn't appreciate cash!

• Options
    It doesn't have to be sappy/Hallmark to be heartfelt -- just from the heart. If for him that means simple, that's okay, too!

I would also probably go with the cash/check over a gift card, and maybe a note to put it in her savings/college fund for something more important in the long run than clothes (as fun as they are). You can't guarantee that she'll use it for that, but at least you tried. Being me, I'd probably also include a religious item or even a book (My Life with the Saints or Your Life in the Holy Spirit or something by Scott Hahn might be good choices, if she is in high school or college.), especially if it were my goddaughter.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Does she wear jewelry on a regular basis?  If you want something more personal, you could very likely find some nice jewelry within the $50-100 range.  I got a few pieces when I was confirmed (a cross pendant from my parents, a necklace from my grandmother), and I still wear them 12 years later.

Then again, cash is never a bad thing...
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Gather a list of people who will do a holy hour or offer a mass or, at least commit to some prayer for her and give the list to her. 
  • Options
    Good ideas, ladies. Thank you. I'll let you know what we end up going with. I'm going to check out the Catholic bookstore, I do like the idea of a religious item, whether a book or jewelry since that's what it's for. maybe that in, combination with cash / check.

I said he wouldn't write a message because his family just doesn't give cards for anything. I'm buying a card because I personally find that to be weird. He'll probably sign it, but i'd be shocked if he wrote anything other than his name!
    image 312 Invited
    image 3 Are MIA!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Cash is always good. I'm a student, so I love getting cash. But I know that if my godmother was alive and I got confirmed at the normal age, I would want something more personal than that for my confirmation from her. For example, the cash was nice, but the only couple whose graduation gift (from high school, so I was a teenager) I specifically remember is the couple that gave me a gift that was meaningful to the situation. I was a pretty sappy teenager, but this is a huge event in her life and I think she deserves something more special from her godparent than cash. Something to always remind her of his role in her religious life. Just my two cents.

She already has a rosary from the Vatican (awesome, btw), but how about a cross necklace or a Bible with her name imprinted on the cover? You could always give her cash in addition to that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I always gave something related to their patron saint - a statue, a book, etc
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Options
    Cash is fine if all else fails, but I don't think a gift card is appropriate.
    I suggest some sort of religious-themed jewelry (I still wear the cross pendant I got for mine many years and three broken chains later) or momento that goes with her personality. Maybe a keepsake bible, a devotional that relates to her personality.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards