Iowa-Des Moines
Options

Wedding Officiants

I am having a heck of a time trying to find an officiant in Des Moines or Indianola area. My fiance and I are on a tight budget and can't really afford the average of $300 for an officiant. We are struggling to find someone and ANYONE that is available on June 11th, 2011. Any suggestions or numbers I can call to talk schedule an appointment with an officiant?

I had my first wedding breakdown over this yesterday. It's getting so frustrating. Everyone I called either, didn't answer, call me back when I left a message, were booked, or were too expensive. I know it's suppose to be a happy time when planning your wedding, but oh my gosh! I need a break! LOL!

Re: Wedding Officiants

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I haven't picked mine either, but I contact the people at the Des Moines Wedding Chapel, as well as when I googled I found a lady named Bobbi Bergman/Silvernail. Otherwise, there was a post on here, oh maybe a month or two ago, that someone had a link to Polk County judges who will perform ceremonies and their prices are usually $200.
    I don't know if I was too much help, but I hope so!
  • Options
    mgrotluschenmgrotluschen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Bobbi Silvernail was one of the officiants I spoke with the other day and she was booked for my wedding date. :(

Can the Polk Co. judges come to Warren Co.? Or does that even matter?

Just baffles me that the "slip some money into an envelope as a donation" days or done and over with... things use to be so much more simple! lol
  • Options
    milesbellamilesbella member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We actually booked Bobbi and then cancelled because she is VERY unreliable.

Another poster on here recommended Barron Geiger from Crossway Community Church in Altoona.  We met with him last week and he's doing our service.  He was WONDERFUL.  He doesn't charge anything (yes, you read that correctly) - he considers it community volunteer work - HOWEVER, he does require you to do 6 sessions of marriage counseling with him AND buy the book (I'm not sure how much it is, but it was a softcover and can't be very expensive).

ETA - We will be making a contribution to his church for his time, but he doesn't technically charge anything.
  • Options
    medusia00medusia00 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry it took so long for me to respond but I wanted to make sure it was cool with our officiant.

Her name is Rachel Agans. She is amazing and super sweet. She has been very good with emailing back and forth.

She said you can email her at
    r_agans@hotmail.com

Sept 11, April Siggy, HM Picture!!
    On a Boat, with our Flippy-Floppies!
    Anniversary
    Want to see my Bio? PM Me!!
    Wifey Shenanigans & Day Zero
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi this is Bobbi with Iowa Vows. Karen Israel (Milesbella) post is just not true. I chose not to officiate at her wedding because she was very demanding and insisted I signed HER contract. YIKES! I was unable to speak with her for a few weeks due to a family issue and she hit the roof. I had always been kind in our correspondence. Please check out my website at www.iowavows.com. I am happy to provide you with many lovely reviews from happy clients. Please talk to me first, instead of basing your decision on one Bridezilla! Smile
    Thanks, Bobbi
    515-577-9799
  • Options
    medusia00medusia00 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_iowa-des-moines_wedding-officiants?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:80Discussion:d45587ca-8852-4936-90a0-9d04d947915bPost:6f085b0d-6de8-48b8-ba23-456f73529068">Re: Wedding Officiants</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi this is Bobbi Thanks, Bobbi
    Posted by iowavows[/QUOTE]

This is the 2nd time I have told you that Vendors are not allowed on The Knot boards. I do not believe that Brides would like to use a Service that does not know how to follow simple rules posted when you signed up for a username. Please do not come back to the Des Moines boards again. You have been reported and soon to be banned.

Another thing, this is your 2nd screen name, you knew you were in the wrong the 1st time so you signed up, an d you did it again. If you come back again you will be reported to the knot. We are a group of brides, and do not appreciate vendors speaking about other brides in your tone.
    Sept 11, April Siggy, HM Picture!!
    On a Boat, with our Flippy-Floppies!
    Anniversary
    Want to see my Bio? PM Me!!
    Wifey Shenanigans & Day Zero
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Actually, I signed up for this board when I was a first time Bride myself. (hence the two ID's) I am now an officiant and a recently married Bride (2nd marriage). Its just not fair that a person can make a false, derogitory remark about a person's business, while the person has no chance to respond. No need to be mean spirited but there are two sides to every story, and my business should not suffer due to one Bridezilla. You also have been reported, and if necessary I will file a slander/libel suit against you, the website, and the person who made the false, nasty comments. Please stop the harrassment and allow me to respond to criticism.
  • Options
    McsweetsMcsweets member
    edited December 2011
    AGREED!!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank You! Kiss
    This should be a board for all brides (even if I happen to be an officiant too) I appreciate the support. Sometimes when one "MODERATOR" is running the show, it isn't fair to those who someone may have a personal grudge against. God Bless!
    Bobbi
  • Options
    edited December 2011

After several attempts, decided to move on and not try and contact Rev Bobbi Silvernail.  Thank god!  We did talk with a couple that was married by her and in there words "if we could get our marriage annulled and find another person off the street to marry us, we would"  They said she showed up late, confused and stumbled through the ceremony.  Not to mention the paperwork was filed wrong.
    If anyone has had a better experiance with someone else please let us know, I'm down to biting my fingernails.

Deb

• Options
    ebagnallebagnall member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I really like our offician, he's a judge from story county and his price is 200, so lower than the average.  His name is Steven Van Marel.  I'm happy to recommend him to anyone!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hello, I would just ask that reviews that are based on "hearsay" or "rumors" not be listed. This can really hurt a person's feelings and maybe even their business. I have never been late for a wedding, and as a professional news anchor for 15 years I can promise you I've never been confused or stumbled through a ceremony. I have never filed paperwork "wrong". In fact, that is impossible as I take all of my paperwork directly to the courthouse and everything is double checked, and the Wedding Certificate is printed within 20 minutes. My entire career prior to becoming Ordained has been based on reading and ad-libing, remaining calm in serious situations. I don't mind negative reviews if they are true, but I believe this has been made up. I've never met anyone named "Deb" and I just felt the need to defend a false review. There is no need for personal attacks on this board. I wouldn't mind if someone says. I wouldn't use so and so, but I loved this other person, but to attack a Minister with really mean-spirited, untruthful, verbage, especially someone who never did your wedding, is quite low and also harms the credibility of this website...which I joined years ago 2003 as a bride. Thanks for allowing me to post!
    xoxoxoxo
    Bobbi Smile
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards