African American Weddings

XP-Replicas/Knockoffs

Curious to know what you ladies think of Replicas/Knockoffs (shoes, clothes, purses, jewlery). Let me know!!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: XP-Replicas/Knockoffs

• flawlessfayflawlessfay member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Personally, not a fan of them.
    Mrs-Flawless-Pitts
  • cincy2011cincy2011 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I personally think if they look real, I have no problem with them.  I can't tell anyway, I'm not into brand names enough to know all of the details about how a REAL Gucci, LV, etc. bag should look.

I think the quality would probably be questionable on knock offs though - like they might break/tear easily?   
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I don't buy replicas but I have a lady that travels internationally and comes to the states and sells the designer labels for less.

I don't knock anyone who buys knock offs but personally I can almost always tell the difference from the real and fake.

Now replica wedding dresses - beware, several knotties have horror stories buying their dresses from Asia. You get what you pay for.

My skin is sensative and I break out if I wear fake jewelry.
    Wedding date July 7, 2012
  • aghouston86aghouston86 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Flawless: not even a AAA can't tell the difference unless you know exactly what your looking for? lol

Cincy: I'm with you. I have bought fake purses in the past, and I made sure to try to get a quality item, that would hold up for longer the 3 months, lol, because you are right, they tend to fall apart rather quickly.
  • flawlessfayflawlessfay member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am not really into name brand things anymore (Passed that stage girl). I love nice things and have an eye for quality. I can spot a replica from a mile away but the one thing about me is that i always tell people "do you".....I won't lie, i like quality more than quantity, I would rather have 1 amazing designer bag lets just say and pay a large amount than buy 20 replicas for that same price,

Mrs-Flawless-Pitts
    edited December 2011
    I can dig it :)
  • edited December 2011
    I don't do knockoffs.  I just feel like it looks so obvious that it's fake and I'd rather save up for the real thing.  I feel the same way about buying a Vera Wang dress from David's Bridal.  The dresses are made from another company that Vera agreed to put her name on.  I absolutely loved the Chelsea Clinton dress but I'd rather have the real thing than the cheaper version from David's. 

Plus, more importanty, I've read from several sources that buying knockoffs funds terrorism, child labor, and sex trafficing.  I didn't think was true at all when I first heard it, but it's been confirmed that this is indeed true.  When a knockoff is being made, unlike a real designer, there's no regulation on who makes it and where the money goes, so that money can go toward the things I mentioned above.  
    edited December 2011
    Oh wow, I didn't know that!
  • edited December 2011

Not a fan of the knock off. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I have a mixture of both. name brands don't make nor break. I feel if I like it I will get it regardless. I say if you like it get.
    www.weddingwire.com/kiwonaandhector
  • edited December 2011
    I'll do some knockoffs, like jewelry or shoes (if it doesn't look fake). I won't do knockoff purses. I'll either buy a real purse or get me a cute purse from Aldo or somewhere like that. I don't knock anyone that wears knockoffs cause it may be what someone can afford.

Truthfully, I bought a coach purse from the coach store & ended up taking it back to exchange it cause the stitching was loose on one side. For the amount I paid for it, I expected it to be on point. So, with that being said, the real stuff can have defects as well.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • EsquireJLEsquireJL member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_xp-replicasknockoffs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:9f4f8b8f-5910-4829-9d77-6f5de4737159Post:0129e92a-e1a8-4d8d-88d0-49283617234a">Re: XP-Replicas/Knockoffs</a>:
    [QUOTE]Plus, more importanty, I've read from several sources that buying knockoffs funds terrorism, child labor, and sex trafficing.  I didn't think was true at all when I first heard it, but it's been confirmed that this is indeed true.  When a knockoff is being made, unlike a real designer, there's no regulation on who makes it and where the money goes, so that money can go toward the things I mentioned above.  
    Posted by kiyamurph[/QUOTE]

This! Congress just passed legislation to help designers with this problem.  Knockoffs fund terrorism and a myriad of international evil.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards