Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Who's around?

13»

Re: Who's around?

• hkieslinghkiesling member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_whos-around?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:81Discussion:c0e9360e-7a8d-4a6e-a7f2-b203e38c4cb0Post:eeec4d58-dc71-4998-9e10-cd4d57f6f924">Re: Who's around?</a>:
    [QUOTE]HK- did you have to survive on SPAM and Pop-Tarts too?   Also, how come your'e not around as much either? Posted by Steph0871[/QUOTE]

Why am I not around as much?  I check in a couple of times a day, but I'm haven't been at my computer as much as I usually am.  Hopefully I'll be back at desk in a week or two though.  Maybe I'll shoot for Gold standing, too.

I was on the Carnival Cruise ship Carnival in 1999 (I was 17).  We were fed well, thankfully, but we were without AC and hot water for the rest of the trip and without toilets for over 24 hours.  We also had to spend the night with our lifevests in a big entertainment room.  I was in the pool at the time of the fire, so I had to spend the time in just my swimsuit.  Luckily some nice crew members took pity on me and found me some big towels to wrap up in.  Entertainment was minimal, and I ended up learning how to hussle people in a "guess your card" game from a crewman from Turkey, flirted with a lot with my waiter from somewhere in the Balkins, and struck up friendship with a crew person from Albania.  It was quite the experience!
  • k8lyk8ly member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

So, got our first tree this weekend - only the 3rd real tree of my life....so far liking the real tree vs. the fake...any opinions?

Found our decorating styles were very different...I am very matchie matchie, but trying FI method - bit more...free style.  So far just the lights - two different kinds, intermixed.  (I am not anal, I am not anal! ) It actually looks very beautiful!!!!

I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine and he shall be my Squishy. ~Dory
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    HK- I think everyone is just gone lately. :(  Hopefully the board picks up again!

What a crazy experience on the cruise! Were you with your family?

TP- yup. I think today was the last set of weddings, right?  I keep watching for our board to pop up on the Nest.  I hope people stick around; at least some of them. I'm jealous of how crazy busy the October 2010 girls are!  Maybe now that weddings are over, we can have some nice conversations about random stuff :)
  • J&LinMNJ&LinMN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1. I just decided to get a photobooth for the wedding today.
    2. I really wanted to shop for more fun things on Black Friday, but I have no where to put anything because FI is currently completely remodeling one floor of his house.
    3. I have had a headache all weekend on and off, and I think I finally figured out it's coming from the cookie dough I keep sneaking.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • hkieslinghkiesling member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_whos-around?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:81Discussion:c0e9360e-7a8d-4a6e-a7f2-b203e38c4cb0Post:307db17e-ca92-4c6b-b6c8-acb9d66f2916">Re: Who's around?</a>:
    [QUOTE]HK- I think everyone is just gone lately. :(  Hopefully the board picks up again! What a crazy experience on the cruise! Were you with your family? Posted by Steph0871[/QUOTE]

It was crazy, but it makes a good story now.  My mom had a work conference on the cruise (rough, huh?) and I went a long.  We bunked with a coworker and her daughter, who was around my age, so we chummed a lot together.  She had a HUGE crush on our waiter...Svolt...but was too shy to say anything around him.  Hence my flirting with him a lot.  She asked me to, just so we could hang out with him more.  The whole crew/guest seperation thing got a little blurred in the emergency.  Nothing racy, but the crew quarters were flooded with water used to put out the fire, so they had to spend a lot of time in the common areas.  The crew was mostly under 25 and there weren't too many young guests, so...lucky us!
  • tpender13tpender13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We made 3 pages!!!

Real tree vs. fake - I always had a real tree growing up. By the time my siblings had moved out and I was in high school, Mom really wanted to get a fake one. Dad and I refused. Now we can't have real ones in our apartment, and they're so much easier. And the quality has gotten better over the years. Maybe we'll try a real one when we get a house to see if they're worth the extra work...
  • edited December 2011
    3 pages! woo hoo.

We always had a real one growing up. Then we got cats and had to have fake trees. lame.  I always missed the smell of a real tree.  I think we're forgoing the tree altogether this year :( damn dog.  Hopefully we'll be in a house by next Christmas so we can get a tree!
  • edited December 2011
    My family is putting up the tree as we speak :) My family always used to have real trees and it seems every year around the holidays my mom would get sick, after about 16 years she got her allergies tested and SURPRISE she was allergic to variations of pine trees. Its not a problem outside because the air is moving but in a confined area like a house it becomes a problem. The real ironic part is that about 20 years ago she found out she was allergic to a bunch of other trees too... and she was forestry major in college lol. Nothing like literally being "allergic to homework"
  • edited December 2011

We've always gotten real trees.  Today my parents got an 11 footer! It's gigantic but it's in the living room with the vaulted ceilings so it fits.  FI and I have a fake tree, we set in up last year in SD but joked we only should have decorated the top half.  Our dog Duke's mighty tail sent ornaments flying!  Luckily nothing broke hahaha

Hitched! 09.30.11
  • aligrossaligross member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Let's see... three random facts
    1. I'm done with all of my Christmas shopping (thanks to Black Friday)
    2. The FI is watching Kate plus 8 while I look at wedding stuff...
    3. I'm minorly obsessed with my Christmas tree/decorations. The only things that can go on the tree have to be red and gold - and yes, the presents are color coordinated to match the theme of the tree :) (Yes, FI thinks I'm crazy)
  • k8lyk8ly member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh no!  Allergic to Christmas!  Bummer - lol!

I'll have to be careful where I put breakable ornaments - black lab tale can be deadly!  Good tip!

So, matchie matchie- or freestyle?
    I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine and he shall be my Squishy. ~Dory
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • tpender13tpender13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our tree is totally freestyle... we've got so many awesome ornaments! We've got a handful of basic silver ones we got in a set once, and we've got a plain silver star at the top, so that sorta ties stuff together. I love looking at how much personality is on our tree!
  • edited December 2011
    My mom always had two trees :) One smaller one that had matching ribbon/ornaments with plain white lights.  The other bigger tree was a total mismatch, and I loved it. It had ornaments for each of us from every Christmas, for all 4 kids with colored lights.  It was so much more fun!

I'm guessing H and I will have a matchy matchy tree, until we accumulate enough ornaments that is :)
  • edited December 2011
    Steph! Only 22 posts left until you're gold status! haha almost there :)
  • drdifabiodrdifabio member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    a) Love that we have a 3 page thread!

b) Steph I totally want more of penny's cake!!! I think we are going to try to just order a small non decorated one for our 1 year anniversary but I have no idea how I am going to wait that long! And PS - I am going to go look at your pro pics right after this! Love the one in your siggy!

c) We have always had fake trees but I wanted a real one this year until I talked to Joe and figure out how expensive and time consuming they are...I just dont want to worry about the clean up. Maybe when we have a house instead of a little apartment.

Randomness:
    -I cant stop playing card games on my new fancy phone with apps
    -I fainted on Sat night
    -I need to stop picking the nailpolish off my nails...it is even Axxium nail polish which is much harder to pick off but it seems like it just becomes a challenge for me then and makes it even harder to stop!
  • edited December 2011
    Danielle- mmmm cake.  Why did you faint? aaand what are you favorite apps? What kind of phone did you get?
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_whos-around?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:81Discussion:c0e9360e-7a8d-4a6e-a7f2-b203e38c4cb0Post:9b656da7-5f55-4457-bbc1-d27711971e7f">Re: Who's around?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Danielle- mmmm cake.  Why did you faint? aaand what are you favorite apps? What kind of phone did you get?
    Posted by Steph0871[/QUOTE]

I have fainting spells - i have been fainting since I was 3 so I guess you could call me a seasoned fainter. Mine are all injury induced. Basically a bunch of stuff fires in my brain and it has to reboot - at least that is the non scientific way I explain it to people :). So sorry if this is TMI but I had my period and I just changed BC (from Yaz to the Nuva (sp?) ring) so I had cramps I wasnt justed to having and am just getting over being sick where low impact pains have a higher licklyhood of triggering a faint so out I went. Sorry prolly way more than you wanted to know! :)

I got a MyTouch 3g slide and I LOVE it! I have only had ot for about 3 weeks and I am already addicted to it. Before all my phone could do was call and text and maybe take pics if I was lucky so this is a huge step up for me. Fav apps include:
    -Well this is not an app - but I love my weather widget. It is raining right now and when I unlock my phone it is raining on the screen and a little windshield wiper comes out :). Really just fun and when I touch the screen it goes away.
    -Skip bo, spider solitaire, hearts, cribbage...all card games I am not addicted to
    -I have groupon and living social on there so I dont have to print those
    -Email for sure
    -Maps (GPS)
    -And I have actually used the flashlight app quite a few times.
    So that list makes me totally sounds like a geek :) but really it is great to have the internet at my finger tips.
  • edited December 2011
    not TMI.  FWIW, Nuva Ring seriously messed with my body. I tried it a few years ago. I loved not having to remember to take a pill, but man did it mess with me.  I was super dizzy and lightheaded, HORRIBLE cramps.  I couldn't get out of bed for almost two weeks at one point, because I was so dizzy and nauseas.  I only stayed on it for the 3 month prescription I picked up.

Now I'm not on anything, because my doctor was concerned about migraines.  TMI for you... sex drive? significantly improved. H is grateful I believe. haha... just back to condoms, but oh well.
  • edited December 2011
    P.S. oh hey. Mission accomplished.

<---- 6000!
    edited December 2011
    Ha congrats Steph! Only 1875 left for me! :)
    Yeah I actually feel fine on it except for the cramps which I never had on Yaz. I just started it on Friday though. I also have a three month rx for it right now which lines up perfectly with my yearly so we can reassess then. I have a friend looking into the shot so I will have to talk to her after she gets it to see what she thinks of that. I am just sick of taking the pill and dont want to anymore and we know we dont want kids for AT LEAST 2 years....prolly more like 4. And I have heard that sex drive is inhibited from the pill/ring from a lot of people - your DH must be happy! :) I dont have too much of a problem now but more would not be a bad thing :).
  • edited December 2011
    Confession: we had sex about 1-2/month the last few months. I hated it, but I just wasn't in the mood. It was awful.

ok, enough TMI for me.

I'm thinking about the shot, too. Apparently that's one of my last options for BC if my migraines continue... let me know what she says too!
  • debbieupperdebbieupper member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm so late to this party! Oh well, I'll still join in. :)

Lisette - Hope you love the photo wall! How was transporting that baby? I already miss it. ;)

Random things about me:
    1) I lived in India for half a year and as a result I have a tattoo of an elephant (a pretty stylistic "Indian/Thai" elephant) on my back.
    2) I love to ski: water, cross-country and downhill!
    3) I can't wait to quit my job!
    Married and lovin' it!
    Our Wedding! (click.)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards