Canada

Chair Covers

Are chair covers worth it? They seem like they are so much money for such a simple thing. I really hate the chairs at my venue though.

thoughts?

Re: Chair Covers

• edited December 2011
    Not worth it! I think they're totally unecessary.
  • beansugarbeansugar member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to a wedding once where they had the chair covers.
    We kept tripping over the ends because they didn't  fit snuggly on the chair.
    I don't think they're worth it....unless the chairs are just sooo unbearably ugly.
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes - I'm having this dilemma too! 

My chairs are really bad...I am debating between chair covers (not the fluffy puffy ones, but the form fitted simple ones) and renting chiavari chairs...

Obviously the chair covers are far more inexpensive but I am not at all a fan of them either!  The chiavari chairs look so much nicer and take up less space.

What to do...what to do...
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just how bad are the chairs? I thought I'd need chair covers at my venue too (standard black conference chairs in a gorgeous old hall), but in the end they actually turned out OK without them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • LevenahLevenah member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I found a picture that you can kinda seem them.

I just feel like $300 is so much for stupid chair covers, but at the same time they are such an ugly blue that doesn't go with my decorating at all!  Ugh!

(note: my colors are pink/black)

• LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine are dark red with a dark gold trim...my colours are whites, ivories, creams, and maybe a hint of peachy pink...
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh wait, I looked at them again, I had it backwards.  It's worse.  It's a muddy brown with a red trim and back, with gold legs.

• edited December 2011
    I am trying buying them used instead of renting them. On ebay, it is cheaper than the $3 rental fee at our venue and they will put them on for free. 

I am not sure oh bad my chairs are, but I would like to cover them.

• miellenmiellen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    EEEEE the dreaded banquet chairs... if I had them in my venue I'd cover them. Renting Chiavari is a little out of my budget so chair covers are a fair middle ground.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Eh, call me crazy but I don't find any of these banquet chairs *that* bad. Of the 3 though, I do think Levenah's chairs are probably the worst, mainly because of the colour scheme. If you go all out with the pink and black, I guess the blue chairs will kind of stick out. But if you don't go too heavy on the pink, the chairs wouldn't be so offensive. Any chance of changing the colours? :)

It comes down to this - is there something else you'd rather spend that $300 on? For us, the chair covers were pretty much the last thing on the priority list, so we didn't get them. Really, it won't be the end of the world if you don't cover them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    And Littlin and surfergirl, I honestly don't think your chairs are bad at all.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ring_pop!  Chair covers or chair replacements are not at the top of my list.  I plan on tackling that after I have decided on other decor and flowers, and see what my budget is like at that point.  I most likely will do simple chair covers, however, to keep everything all nice and creamy-ivory in the room.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks Ring_pop. It is nice to know that I am over thinking chairs.  It would be nice to not put extra time and money into covers.   In fact, I don't think I am even going to buy them anymore. Smile
  • silversparkssilversparks member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had chair covers because we thought the chairs at the venue were really beat up looking.( We have pics from the day of with the room set up both before and after the chair covers were put on, and yes I think it made a difference. However, the $250 we spent on them was just about the only decor we had in reception area (not including the floral centerpieces). So it was a small amount for a significant impact on the larger space.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • MissLeahMMissLeahM member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Personally, I think chair covers are overrated. But thats just me, if you want to budget them and pay go for it.

I have never been to a wedding where anyone refused to sit down because the chairs were too ugly. And midway through the reception, there are shawls and jackets over the chairs anyway.

The only way I would pay for chair covers is if there were stains all over the seats (think: theatre chairs)
    image Married and Junk.
  • mcrotondomcrotondo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Levanah and I are getting married at the same place and I have to say the chairs are not nice.  Although my colour scheme goes with the blue chair, I am still getting covers.  You are right, that people will put their jackets on the chairs and no one ever remembers whether a chair was covered or not, but here are some things to consider:

1.  It is not a dark hall.  The room gets a lot of light and if I remember correctly, you are getting married in the summer so day light lasts well into the evening, so the chairs will be seen.

2.  That room alone has a lot of impact, its gorgeous and people will be amazed with the view of Lake Ontario, so you don't need to go crazy with expensive chair covers (i.e with bows and frills), however, despite the fact that the view is breathtaking, I would still consider the cheapest plain chair cover you can find.  It is a small detail like this that might bring the whole look together expecially if your colours don't go with the blue of the chair.  

3.  Maybe you can cut in other areas?  It know it is hard to cut in certain areas, everything needs attention, but maybe in the flower department or linnens department or wedding cake department. 

It is your call and I think your wedding will be beautiful no matter what you decide because the venue is just spectacular

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards