Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Drink Logistics

My to-be and I aren't really big drinkers, so we've opted out of an open bar. We will be having the reception for 65 people in my parent's back yard (renting a tent, tables, etc) and they have a few old canoes that we thought would be cute to fill up with ice and beer / wine / coolers / soda, and then we will have two signature mixed drinks. I've done the math, and for $500 I can get 7 alcoholic beverages for everyone, plus additional soda, water and a champagne toast. 

So two questions - does this logic sound OK? 

Think this will be enough? Considering some people probbaly wont drink alcohol (kids, grandparents, other non drinkers), and others may have 10+ drinks. . . . ?

What else should I consider? 

Also, I am trying to work out in my head how drinks at meal time will work. We are having a sit down catered meal with chicken, brisket, sweet potatoes, salad and vegetables. Do people kind of get their own drinks when they arrive from the canoes, and then take them to the table? Or should I do some pitchers on the table of water / sweet tea / lemonade? Or do I ask the two servers I am hiring to take drink orders / pour? 

Also, is it rude not to offer coffee and tea - espicially considering it will be hot and in August?

Re: Drink Logistics

• Options
    I'm not clear on how you are serving the signature drinks.  The canoes sound cute, but I don't know how much insulation they would provide, so you may have to keep refilling ice.

During meal time, I would have servers pouring water and offering wine (generally they come around with a bottle of red and a bottle of white).  If you have room on the tables for pitchers, you could do that as well, but I would have served water and wine at a minimum.  Also, I was just at a wedding that was a similar format, and I think it would be good if you could have the servers continually refilling water glasses after the meal, because it was really hot--it would have been nice not to have to keep going up to refill our own water.  

I think people want coffee and tea after dinner regardless of the season, so I would offer it.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_drink-logistics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:15a6313c-1327-4242-b35a-1110ba78de04Post:4764f139-8bd7-459f-a9b3-101ee0883b33">Re: Drink Logistics</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not clear on how you are serving the signature drinks. [/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Renting two big tin coolers, will have one set up on either side of the canoe.

</div>
  • Options
    I can tell you from personal experience that a kevlar canoe will keep the beer cool just fine ;)

what material are the canoes made out of?
  • Options
    It's hard to say if it's enough because we don't know your crowd. Do you have some big drinkers in your crowd? What percentage is underage/non-drinkers?

I think it's OK to just have it be self-serve. It sounds fairly casual from your description, so I don't think served alcohol is necessary. I would probably offer coffee though, after dinner/dessert.

You asked what else you should consider, so I'm just going to throw some things out there that pop into my mind when thinking of a backyard wedding. Perhaps you've already dealt with these things, but just in case.

Have you gotten the insurance figured out for hosting a large party at a house, especially since you are providing alcohol? What about if someone underage sneaks a drink? The hosts would be held liable. From what I understand, if you serve someone alcohol at your place and then they leave and get in a wreck, you can also be held liable for serving them (or your parents if it's their house).

Have your parents checked with the city on any codes they need for hosting a big party in their yard? What about parking permits for that amount of cars? Have you let the neighbors know, so you won't get the cops called on you for noise?

What are you doing for restrooms? A lot of times, the plumbing in a house is not meant to be used that frequently and can become a major issue. I would look into some nice portable toilets if I were you with that amount of people.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    That sounds like a great idea, OP. I love the idea of using old canoes.  Don't worry; any canoe made of any material completely filled with ice will keep everything cold throughout the night.  That much ice in one place isn't going anywhere fast. 

• Options
    I would definitely have coffee and tea, especially for after dinner.  I am one of those crazy people that will drink hot coffee in 100 degree weather, doesn't bother me.  What will bother me is if I don't get my coffee fix!
  • Options
    Thanks for all the great advice!! 

OK, coffee and tea are a must! :) 

Not sure what the canoes are made out of. . . they're my Dad's and are quite new. I was going to put extra ice in a freezer in the garage, and then have the catering company top it up if it starts to look a little too melted. 

Summer2011Bride - thank you so much!! You asked a lot of good questions, and these are all things I need to plan with my parents. I've put your comments into my wedding excel sheet under my to-do list Cool
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards