Canada

Durham Region Brides?

Hi Everyone,

My first post here, thought I would post something to see who else is out there, maybe share who you're using for vendors, etc.

We're using a venue that doesn't officially do weddings, but has done a few, so we are bringing pretty much everything in, from toilets, to tables/chairs and into all the "usual" stuff.

We are planning for a July 9, 2011 wedding after thinking our ideal date was July 2nd, we changed the date to give my fiancee a week after finishing his school year (teacher!) .

Half the wedding guests will be coming from out of province, we really want to ensure everyone who attends the wedding is taken care of (of course) and feels the trip was worth it!

All we really have planned is venue, date, and a catering quote, pretty blank slate beyond that! I probably know more of what I don't want than what I do want.

The venue is not 5 minutes from our place! Ceremony and reception is all in one spot!
Engaged on July 16, 2010 -Finlay, our new puppy brought me my ring before Trevor got down on one knee! RingPup!

Re: Durham Region Brides?

• LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hello and welcome!  I got married in Toronto 2 weeks ago but grew up in Pickering.  

We used a few vendors from Durham - florist (sort of - border of Pickering & Scarborough - Audrey's Flowers), and stationary - Impressions Invitations (Oshawa).  Both excellent and highly recommended!

Where are you having your ceremony & reception?

Giving your fiance time is a good idea!  I'm a teacher too, and I really appreciated the few weeks after finishing teaching summer school and before the wedding to pull it all together.
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Dude. I feel like I just stepped into the twilight zone.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada_durham-region-brides?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:46Discussion:c2788d7d-0378-4a61-99cd-7ef7ccede7c3Post:eba57a87-2b3f-43d5-a5a2-6f0b3fe2a3d8">Re: Durham Region Brides?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Dude. I feel like I just stepped into the twilight zone.
    Posted by ring_pop[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure who you are or what this means, simple hello would do, I feel like this is a little rude?
    Engaged on July 16, 2010 -Finlay, our new puppy brought me my ring before Trevor got down on one knee! RingPup!
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    She didn't mean to be rude - I think it was the nickname "ringpup" being so close to "ringpop" - she's the moderator of this board - been around a long time!  It's funny when people pick similar names by coincidence, that's all!  No harm! :)
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hello there. I was just kidding. I saw your screen name and was like, whaaaa?

Annyway... sorry to get off on the wrong foot. Welcome to the board!
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    Sorry! I didn't even read your username!

Re-do? Thank-you for the welcome, lol.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada_durham-region-brides?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:46Discussion:c2788d7d-0378-4a61-99cd-7ef7ccede7c3Post:985b458f-61d6-4bfe-9b57-7d7a55a63bba">Re: Durham Region Brides?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello and welcome!  I got married in Toronto 2 weeks ago but grew up in Pickering.   We used a few vendors from Durham - florist (sort of - border of Pickering & Scarborough - Audrey's Flowers), and stationary - Impressions Invitations (Oshawa).  Both excellent and highly recommended! Where are you having your ceremony & reception? Giving your fiance time is a good idea!  I'm a teacher too, and I really appreciated the few weeks after finishing teaching summer school and before the wedding to pull it all together.
    Posted by Littlin[/QUOTE]

I am originally from Bowmanville, we live in Oshawa now (not the gross part associated with Oshawa :p) and we are getting married on a farm about 5 minutes from our house! They've done 3 weddings before,but don't formally do them, so we have to bring in everything! I am planning a "locally" themed wedding -wine will be from a local orchard, caterer will be using meat from the farm where we'll be married, vegetables from other local farms, desserts from local bakers and bakeries, as well as homemade treats -not doing a wedding cake as we're not cake people, maybe a carrot cake or something like that if we have to. It will be a little different, but hopefully fun! We have 3 ceremony location options on the property (one indoor if need be) and the reception is in a barn (never inhabited by animals, but even then, I'd be ok with that!) that was put on the property 2 years ago from a nearby conservation area. The barn wood let's light in between the boards, the old barn board gives the place unreal character!  Finally excited, we had looked at halls and I would have rather runaway than get married at some of the places we looked -now I am finally excited! I plan events at work for thousands of people, so this will be so so fun to do for myself.
  • edited December 2011
    It sounds like a beatiful place to get married. DH and I used to talk about having a rustic barn wedding and we had a running joke when driving he would point out the crappiest ugliest barns and say "Oh that's a perfect barn for our wedding" = )

Good luck with planning!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards