Delaware
Options

Alicia Cohen?

Has anyone used her as a photographer? 

We originally were going to have FI's friend, M, do it (FI went to college for commercial photography and M was in his program) but I've been getting really nervous about having a friend do something so important as a favor (what if something goes wrong, we don't like the photos, how to compensate her, etc) and would feel much more comfortable with a professional.

I found Alicia and she's actually available on our date on what seems like pretty short notice as far as weddings go (just under 4 months).  FI and I both love her work on her website/blog.

So we're meeting with her tomorrow night, I'm really excited, and I just wanted to see if anyone had any feedback on actually using her.

TIA! :)
ttc chart
BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12

Re: Alicia Cohen?

• Options
    khewesmccoykhewesmccoy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Barnyard Photography is amazing, too, fyi!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I can't believe you even thought of having an amateur shoot your wedding. I am a local photographer and I decided to post here to enlighten people on the world of photography since many of you think you know it all. Unless you are having your reception in the woods and you are serving your guests beer out of a keg with a banjo playing your first dance then you are a dope to think some college punk can do nearly the same work as a professional. If you don't care about your photos than hire from craigslist.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_delaware_alicia-cohen?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:77Discussion:1fba0f7b-0ac3-4e0c-b005-885e33998be0Post:179e5ad0-459d-482a-9d27-9585342af38f">Re: Alicia Cohen?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I can't believe you even thought of having an amateur shoot your wedding. I am a local photographer and I decided to post here to enlighten people on the world of photography since many of you think you know it all. Unless you are having your reception in the woods and you are serving your guests beer out of a keg with a banjo playing your first dance then you are a dope to think some college punk can do nearly the same work as a professional. If you don't care about your photos than hire from craigslist.
    Posted by deweddingphotographer[/QUOTE]

Vendors aren't allowed on TheKnot so unfortunately I'm going to have to report your post.  Thanks for being such a doll, though :)
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with deweddingphotog..... blow all your money on an overrated, arrogant photographer.  Who cares about the budget?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I didn't actually book her but I did meet with Alicia and I agree with you her work was impressive since you will find she is rather new to wedding photog.  It came down to her and another photog and I just clicked with the other person more and the other photog experience was more vast in IMO.  I think you will find that for the money her packages offer some flexibility and the albums she will show you are very nice.  GL!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My daughter was married last summer, and theknot was a great source of info.  I didn't post much, but I feel that I do need to respond to your posting about Alicia Cohen.

Long story short.....do not use her.  If you do talk with her, ask her about the wedding she shot on July 18, 2009, at Deerfield.   She took photos of the bride and groom, as well as family photos on the golf course, and proceeded to lose them!   We don't even have a formal picture of the bride and groom.   She said it was a corrupted disc.   We would have been able to get those pictures from the videographer, but without our knowledge Ms. Cohen banned the videographer from that portion of the shoot.   Our videographer would have been able to get us copies of the pictures that Ms. Cohen lost. 

We paid $3,500 for pictures that we feel an amateur could have taken.  She said that the disc was corrupted, but we will never know as she claims that she destroyed the disc, thus not allowing us to attempt to retrieve the pictures.

Your wedding day is a magical day, and you want it perfect.  Please do not make the same mistake we made. 

Please feel free to send me a PM if you would like more info. 
  • Options
    elijon090311elijon090311 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I actually also took the opportunity to meet with Alicia Cohen a few months ago because I was interested in hiring her for my wedding. She seemed really nice and her work was very beautiful. At the end of the day, I did not hire her and instead chose to go with Heather Fowler in Philly. At the end of the day, Heather Fowler just portrayed the confidence and professionalism that I believe a great photographer should have....especially if you're investing so much money in them! I am also getting married at Deerfield so needless to say..... after reading the last post I am really happy that I went with my gut and hired Heather Fowler. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Elijon090311............you made the right decision!!  

You will be thrilled with Deerfield.   Our coordinator was Angela, but she was not able to be at the reception so Steve stepped in and took over.   He was wonderful.  Can't say enough good things about him.  Anything we needed or had a question about, he was right there and made sure the night went perfectly...which it did.   The cocktail hour, the dinner, everything was more than we had hoped for.

Enjoy your wedding day......it goes much too fast!!!
  • Options
    LegosLadyLegosLady member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did use Alicia for our June 2009 wedding and were very happy with the results. We loved the pictures and got so many compliments on them.  I would recommend Alicia. 
    R loves B = Sweet Lily Grace Born July 9th, 2011 FT SAHM and loving life!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had a friend from HS's sister who got married a few months ago just post her pics on FB; they used Alicia.  The pics turned out amazing, IMO.  I know that she is one of the more respected photogs in this area, including PA/NJ.  You might post on those boards to see if anyone there has comments.  If you want, I can try and send you the link to the pictures.
  • Options
    loopner24loopner24 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, we hired her for our wedding last year. Hire Alicia for all of your photography needs! She captured all of the shots we wanted at our wedding plus so many more candid moments that we can treasure forever. Coming from a photography background, finding the perfect, artistic and professional photographer was my number 1 priority for our big day. I, as well as all of my friends and family are thrilled with the results!! We couldn't be happier and would call her in a heartbeat for any photography needs!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards