Michigan-Grand Rapids

Hair/Makeup in St. Joseph, MI

I'm looking for reasonably priced hair and makeup options in St. Joseph, MI. Anyone have any advice? Thanks!

Re: Hair/Makeup in St. Joseph, MI

• edited December 2011
    OOO!!!!

Sorry. Got excited there because you're looking in the area I'm living, and you're the first person around here, on here, I've seen :)

There are two Aveda salons : Scot Matthew and Affinity
    Then there's Reva Salon, and for a super cheap option try the Moored Beauty school on Lincoln Ave.

I'm desperately trying to find reception places in the area that aren't going to break the bank. Do you know of any? I'm looking to spend $1k or less, if at all possible.
    Ovarian cyst lapro: '01, '04, '09 Conal biopsy: '01- results negative Dilation: '03 for cervical scarring Pcos test: '05, FSH and LH normal Mirena removed July '12 My Ovulation Chart
  • simmsea19simmsea19 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yay for St. Joe!

I'm getting married at the Veranda...other options I've heard of are the Shadowland Pavillion, The bandshell across the Veranda, the beach, the art center. Does it have to be in St Joe? My friend got married at Millcreek Barns and that was really cute...I know she was on a budget too.

I'm paying for everything myself so I understand your budget! Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the information ladies. I too am getting married at the Veranda in August of 2012, and being from Chicago, I have no idea where to go for hair or make-up. Or flowers. Or ANYTHING! I'm going to go to the wedding walk this Sunday to see vendors in person and get ideas.

Good luck finding a venue!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm also another Veranda bride!! Have you seen their new lounge furniture?! Really nice! As for hair...I currently go to Brandy at Scott Matthews Salon and she is great! The only down side is that she is only there Wed-Fri. But I would highly suggest her. I've also been to Affinity Salon (which is also Aveda) and they were great, too. I'm totally lost on make-up though...I really want airbrush and so do some of my girls so I think we're going to have to hire someone from Kalamazoo or South Bend. We should start a discussion board for Veranda brides! I would love to share decorating tips and ideas...let me know what you think. Good luck planning!
  • edited December 2011
    Found my venue! We're having the reception at the Heritage Center---so pretty! But then, we're also getting married October next year, so we needed an indoor venue. We both loved the Veranda, but it was a bit over budget and exposed to the elements for our time of year. Congrats to you all!

So, I love the idea of starting a discussion board. But maybe we could do it for St. Joe brides? That way, anyone who is getting married in the area, regardless of venue, can still share all their insight and info about the area. I think that'd be awesome! i know it'd sure help me :)

Kestrands: Tara Floral is fantastic! There's also a place called Bloomies right downtown--so very easy transferring and delivering to the Veranda. Other florists are Apple Valley (Victoria's Cottage), Crystal Springs Florist, Floral Brook, and H & J Florist. I have phone numbers for all these!

I've been doing research for months, so I've got tons of names and numbers of vendors for just about everything. Let me know and I'll see what I can find for you all!
    Ovarian cyst lapro: '01, '04, '09 Conal biopsy: '01- results negative Dilation: '03 for cervical scarring Pcos test: '05, FSH and LH normal Mirena removed July '12 My Ovulation Chart
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    YES! We need to start a Southwest Michigan/St. Joe board!!!
  • MpiedtMpiedt member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm having my reception at shadowland Ballroom in St. Joe! Absoluetly love the venue and its not so expensive because I am getting married on a Friday next June. I am having a hard time finding a local makeup artist. Let me know if any of you find a good one in the Southwest Michigan area.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm also a St. Joe bride! We are deciding between the Heritage Center and Shadowland Ballroom for an August 2013 wedding. Did you all start the St. Joe Board yet? (If so, can you post a link?) I definitely need some help with vendors since I am planning from Chicago. :)
  • MpiedtMpiedt member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would recommend you go with the shadowland ball room if you have over 150 guests and are doing a buffet meal. I went to a wedding with about 185 guests at the Heritage Center last February and they had a buffet and it was WAY too cramped. Everytime I wanted to get out of my seat to dance I bumped into the people sitting at the table behind me. Also the dance floor was very small. Shadowland has a much better floor plan for weddings and is much bigger in general than the heritage.

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also, does anyone know any good but cheap bakeries that do cupcakes? Thanks!!!
  • MpiedtMpiedt member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I happen to own a bakery. It's called Amanda Marie's Bakery. I can do wedding cupcakes for around sixty cents each. I also have a cupcake tree that I rent out for $10. I have pictures and all sorts of cake flavors on my website amandamariesbakery.com. As of right now I don't have a walk in bakery. I have a licensed kitchen I own and currently only bake to order. I am located in Eau Claire, MI.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Great! What's your email? I have a whole bunch of questions.
  • MpiedtMpiedt member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mpiedt@yahoo.com
  • edited December 2011
    No love for the Heritage? :( Actually, we chose it as our venue because we're getting married in October and needed an indoor venue to ward off Michigan's sketchy weather. And we're only having 80-100 people and a plated dinner service, so there's no crowding at all. Its an amazing space- I'm so excited!

Simmsea, you should check out mimi's cupcakes out of St Joe. They have an amazing variety and are super accomodating with working on new ideas. We're working with them for our wedding with them making 9 dozen cupcakes in 4 different flavors, and are even experimenting with our ideas to see how they work out. Really good, cost-wise, too! Definietly a lot cheaper than doing a cake. their website is www.mimis-cupcakes.com

No offense, mpiedt. Just giving her an option that is here in town.

I have no idea how to start our own discussion board, but wish we could! I know it'd be very helpful to alot of us. Hopefully, someone can figure it out!Smile
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the info Mpiedt. We are trying to keep our guest list at 150. I love features of both Shadowland and Heritage and we are just trying to crunch the numbers.

Is anyone else a 2013 bride?
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Found some contact info!

General Customer Service

Email: feedback@theknot.com
    Hours: Monday through Friday, 6 a.m. to 5 p.m., PST

Maybe if we all send them a note to start a Southwest Michigan section it will get done!
  • edited December 2011
    Hi! I am also a St.Joe bride - August 2012 at the Shadowland Ballroom. We are planning from St.Louis, so I definitely need some help with vendors! Any recommendations on rehearsal dinner locations? bakeries? Hopefully we can get the southwest Michigan site started - it would help a lot!
  • edited December 2011

I am also in St. Louis and getting married in St. Joe in June!  I thought for sure I would be the only one from St. Louis!  We are having our ceremony in Sister Lakes and the reception at The Heritage.  I am looking for some makeup people right now that would be available for on site weddings.  I have a couple of emails out right now to some people and hopefully will find some good options!

• Thanks for all the advice. Quick question for St. Joseph brides - where are you planning your rehearsal dinner? We have anticipated 40+ guests and don't want to break the bank the night before the wedding. Our top choice is the Boulevard, but we are open to other suggestions.. Happy planning!
  • We are getting married at Blue Dress Barn in July, 2013. Because of it being a holiday weekend I'm in panic mode trying to find cottages, photographers, caterer, dj, etc. Any advice on cottages, hotels and shuttles? Thanks!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-grand-rapids_hairmakeup-st-joseph-mi?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:95Discussion:a56d3eb5-b0a5-49af-8ed0-63ae02b5ae79Post:ceaf9a50-c37f-46f7-9a25-9612e630880b">Re: Hair/Makeup in St. Joseph, MI</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are getting married at Blue Dress Barn in July, 2013. Because of it being a holiday weekend I'm in panic mode trying to find cottages, photographers, caterer, dj, etc. Any advice on cottages, hotels and shuttles? Thanks!
    Posted by vieustupak[/QUOTE]

Hi!! just saw your post:)
    Were getting married at the BDB in May! Do you have any suggestions??
  • I need hair and makeup for my wedding!!!! where o where to go??
  • If you're looking for hair or makeup or even nails in St. Joe, MI...it's all about a place called Beaux Cheveux. The owner is a young super hot, super trendy chic and her salon is SUPER luxury but not over priced. She keeps it to 4 stylists so the place isn't over crowded or too loud like a lot of the salons there. I'm getting hair and makeup done for me and my girls for my wedding and she's letting us make a true day of it...we're bringing snacks and mimosas and everything. I'm also using a local photographer...Jen Mayo who is truly artistic. She is going to do our per-wedding photo shoot at the salon since the salon is so gorgeous!!! We are actually having our reception at Berrien Hills Golf Club which is right on the river across the bridge from St. Joe. It was less than half the price than the shadowland and the veranda which I also priced and its catered by The Bistro which is the best restaurant in St. Joe! We actually ended up doing our rehearsal dinner at the Boulevard (attached to the bistro) because we were so pleased with the food and the service (Anne Vonk is amazing!!!). Hope this helps girls! Good luck!
  • For the blue dress barn ladies...there is a hotel in watervliet that isn't too far and it's easy to get to...two straight shots. Otherwise you're looking to Benton harbor for hotels. You can possibly find some cottages on vrbo.com around sister lakes and such. Mark Duroscher is a phenomenal DJ with Sunset Coast DJ Mobile Entertainment who has a small set up so it doesn't take up a ton of space at the barn, since that barn is long but really narrow.
  • umbargermumbargerm member
    First Comment
    edited March 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-grand-rapids_hairmakeup-st-joseph-mi?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:95Discussion:a56d3eb5-b0a5-49af-8ed0-63ae02b5ae79Post:9667f358-875c-4863-86ff-c044d1bf8a4b">Re: Hair/Makeup in St. Joseph, MI</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the info  Mpiedt . We are trying to keep our guest list at 150. I love features of both Shadowland and Heritage and we are just trying to crunch the numbers. Is anyone else a 2013 bride?
    Posted by kmb564[/QUOTE]

My daughter is a late summer 2013 bride.  We are seriously thinking abojut doing the wedding and reception at Shadowland Ballroom.  We wamt to do a beach ceremony. Any suggestions for where we can get chairs, etc.?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-grand-rapids_hairmakeup-st-joseph-mi?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:95Discussion:a56d3eb5-b0a5-49af-8ed0-63ae02b5ae79Post:4b255291-20c7-4d6d-a171-f7cca86b0344">Re: Hair/Makeup in St. Joseph, MI</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for all the advice. Quick question for St. Joseph brides - where are you planning your rehearsal dinner? We have anticipated 40+ guests and don't want to break the bank the night before the wedding. Our top choice is the Boulevard, but we are open to other suggestions.. Happy planning!
    Posted by kestrands[/QUOTE]
    The Boulevard has the best food and is the caterer for the Shadowland ballroom.
  • I'm having 30+ for our rehersal at Tosi's in Stevensville. Our wedding is at Shadowland so I wanted to mix things up. Tosi's has delicious Italian food and a warm cozy atmosphere (its a Nov 2013 wedding), but in the summer they also have a pretty courtyard as well. Def something to check out!

I am still in desperate need of a hair and makeup person or persons. Anyone heard good things about REVA?

• Hey oconnorkatie4, have you tried Salon Devoir? I have not heard great things about REVA, and I am using Salon Devoir for my August 2013 wedding in St. Joe.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards