Wedding Etiquette Forum

Another name for the "Cocktail Hour"

My niece is having a dry reception.  We are having small appetizers 1 hour before the reception begins.  What should I call that hour?  I don't want to call it a cocktail hour if no drinks are served.  Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks so much!
Angelhelper

Let the Lord Lead... and follow Him.

Re: Another name for the "Cocktail Hour"

• Appy Hour?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Refreshments hour?  Fancy snacktime?
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Could you say:

Appetizers (or Hors d'Oeuvres) to begin at 6:00
    Dinner will be served at 7:00
  • Of course we are having drinks, just not the alcoholic type.   :)
  • Mrs.B6302007Mrs.B6302007 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited May 2010
    Hors D'oeuvres

or Hors D'oeuvres Hour
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• I don't think you need to call it anything - on the invitations, you can simply state that the reception begins at x hour.  I consider cocktail hour part of the reception, actually.  If you want, you can say "reception to begin at x hour, dinner served at y hour" or something like that. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_another-name-cocktail-hour?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:457c0ae4-d8b9-470e-a978-ef696e4391c7Post:106323b7-1718-4bee-aee7-75f4969eeb35">Re: Another name for the "Cocktail Hour"</a>:
    [QUOTE]Could you say: Appetizers (or Hors d'Oeuvres) to begin at 6:00 Dinner will be served at 7:00
    Posted by MattsPenguin[/QUOTE]

agreed...you don't have to assign a name to it, just say it like it is...
  • haha I like Fancy Snacktime, Brie :)
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • Mocktail hour? A dry wedding I went to had mocktails, so that's how they listed it.

Though it made me jump to an image of guests mocking each other for an hour, but I'm strange like that.
  • pag4989pag4989 member
    First Comment
    You don't need a fancy name for it. You can just put on the invites hors douvres being served at ___  with dinner following or you could put ceremony with reception immediately following.
  • Thanks Ladies for all of the great suggestions!  I agree, I would avoid naming it,  but I have to.  These suggestions really helped!  Wow you ladies respond fasssst!Angelhelper
  • Welcome Hour?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We're calling ours "Mocktail Hour" and the bartender will be making the mocktails for us. :)
  • I don't understand why you have to call it anything. The cocktail hour is part of the reception and doesn't get called out or named separately.
  • cluebeecluebee member
    First Comment
    One of the venues we visited liked to refer to this as the Social Hour. I actually like that better than cocktail hour.
    January 2013 Signature Challenge - Favorite Thing About Fall
    College Football Returns! Go Dawgs!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic | Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    pregnancy week by week
  • This thread keeps showing that Knot Annie is the author for me, lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards