Snarky Brides

Mirena removal?

Has anyone had a Mirena removed? I hate mine and want it out, but I've been reading online that there is a post removal crash and some TMI side effects. We're going to the beach next week and I don't really want to ruin my vacay.

Also, how was the removal itself? They didn't prescribe me any cytotec which I thought was odd.

Re: Mirena removal?

• Honestly, it came out so fast I barely felt it, which was a far cry from when I had it put in. It hurt so badly I nearly fainted afterwards. I had it out a year ago. I think I mostly just had spotting for a few days afterwards. I drank a detox tea so I am not totally sure if that helped, but I don't remember having the crash people talk about. But I was someone who gained a LOT of weight from having the Mirena so i also don't know if that may have affected how the removal hit me. Good luck I feel amazing without Mirena.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Thanks, button! I almost fainted, too; DH had to come pick me up. I am so ready to be done with this stupid thing.

• I was thinking about going the IUD route myself- I'm assuming you both recommend against it?  
    If you don't mind me asking Married why was your experience so bad with it?
    "You're not my life but you're the one I want to spend it with. You're not my world but you're the best thing in it."
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_mirena-removal?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:8b090f55-6003-41d2-9510-56c798efd3e8Post:0027c99a-0cea-4afd-abd4-48004395e5ec">Re: Mirena removal?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was thinking about going the IUD route myself- I'm assuming you both recommend against it?   If you don't mind me asking Married why was your experience so bad with it?
    Posted by psubride09[/QUOTE]

<div>Coming from the other end, I love my Mirena.</div><div>
    </div><div>You'll hear opinions from both ends of it, the only way to truly know if it's a good form of BC for <em>you</em> is to try it (after of course consulting with a doctor).</div><div>
    </div><div>OP - sorry you had such a bad experience with it. My little sister had hers removed shortly after insertion because she likewise didn't like it (she was way too paranoid that she was going to get pregnant with it in there). She said she didn't even feel it come out and she didn't have any crazy side effects (till this post I wasn't aware you COULD have side effects from removal). To be fair though, she also already had a kid, so I'm sure that changes things a little bit.</div>
  • I recently had mine out. I had no problems when it was in. Was great form of birth control for me. I've had really heavy bleeding post-removal and am now on low dose BC pills to regulate the bleeding.

The removal itself is totally painless. Nothing like the insertion - which hurt like crazy.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker 129image 102image 24image
  • psubride--I had mirena put in a couple years ago.  I have never given birth (I hear it's different if you've already had kids).  It was the most painful thing I have ever experienced; the doctor said I might feel "some cramping."  I almost kicked her in the face while she was putting it in.  She said later that that's what labor feels like.  
    I was useless for the next couple days.  I took 800mg Ibeprofen (as told my my doctor), but it just took the edge off the horrible cramping.  That lasted for about a week.  Now when I get my period, I have terrible cramping, and I never used to cramp up like that before mirena.  

On the flip side--my friend got her IUD just after me.  She always had terrible cramping on her period, so she didn't really notice a change once she got mirena.  She says she doesn't bleed on her period anymore, but she still experiences bloating, cramping, etc. when it's that time of the month.  
  • I am on my second Mirena.  My first one "fell out" a few months after insertion.  I was having pain during and after sex, went to the doctor and he said it was working its way out.  I barely felt the removal at all.  The insertion is worse than labor but then again I had an epidural for that.  I didn't experience any crash or heavy bleeding post removal of the first one.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I also barely felt it come out. I can't say that I hated it, but I had very sharp cramps that doubled me over. I figured it would go away after a while and it didn't. I worked at a pharmacy at the time and talked to the pharmacist who basically told me that it was my body's way of pushing it out because it was doing more hard than good. Overall, like I said, I didn't hate it, but I was glad it was gone.
  • psu - I have a copper IUD, not Mirena (mine has no hormones.  I believe they recommend Mirena more to people who have already had kids).  Bad cramping when it went in that lasted the day, and I do get cramping a bit now during periods, which I didn't before, but other than that, no problems whatsoever.  Love it.

• I had mirena in for 5 years with no periods at all during- though it hurt like a mofo going in. When i had it taken out in July, the Dr said "cough really hard". I did and felt a pinch, and that was it. No cramping afterward, no spotting/ bleeding. No "crash'. Nothing for the whole next month. Just had my first period since and it was pretty light. So, hopefully things are starting to balance out into normal non-bc status.

Hope that helps.
    Ovarian cyst lapro: '01, '04, '09 Conal biopsy: '01- results negative Dilation: '03 for cervical scarring Pcos test: '05, FSH and LH normal Mirena removed July '12 My Ovulation Chart
  • Insertion was awful for me. I gave birth without meds. My mirena insertion was worse than child birth. Since having it put in 8 months ago, my hair has fallen out in clumps, I have horrid acne, and I'm moody. DH can feel the mirena during sex. I can't lose my last 10 pounds of baby weight. I'm going on Yaz.

• i've had mirean for 3 months now...had spotting and regular period too...no cramping anymore now (had it horribly before getting the iud).

i've also had 3 kids and insertion was worse than c-sections.

talk to your doctor he/she will guide you in the right direction for you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • MFJ, I'm on my second Mirena. I had the first for the full five years, and while I gained a bunch of weight, I still prefer it to the near constant agony of my severe endometriosis.

The removal (I have not had children) hurt like a motherfuckerr, but hurt less than the insertion. I loaded up on NSAIDs before my appointment, but my doctor did not prescribe anything. Since I had the second one put in right away, I can't tell you about any other side effects.

Good luck.
  • It effing sucked.  I was doubled over in pain in tears afterward... and the insertion wasn't too awful.  I had cytotec for the insertion, but they didn't prescribe anything for the removal- maybe that was part of the problem?

I"m not sure how long you've had it, but I had my Mirena for 5?6? months and my life was pure hell. I hated that thing with a passion- awful cramps, nonstop bleeding, horrendous mood swings, etc etc etc.  So I know how you feel about wanting it gone asap. Sorry it's been a sucky experience for you too :(
  • oh... I forgot about the weight gain. I think I gained like 20 pounds in those 5 months (and most of it was gone quickly after removing it, despite the doctor telling me it was in no way related.)
  • MFJ I love Yaz. I would definitely make sure you need it for the PMDD. I think some people take it, and don't really need it for what it's intended for and that's why people have been having bad side effects like blood clots. I've been on it for 5 years and have not had any problems.

If your prescription says you can get the generic, DON'T! Gianvi is the generic and it is not the same. I had it for two months and had terrible mood swings, which is the reason for being on Yaz in the first place. I pay extra for the brand each month and it's worth it. 
  • SpecialK, endometriosis is the suck. I don't blame you. Steph, I thought I remembered you saying your removal was pretty bad. Oh and the weight gainmy baby weight came off steadily until I got my Mirena. I've held steady or gained and can't shake this last 10 pounds. I was on Yaz before and loved it. I actually feel more myself already placebo effect? Maybe. My removal went ok. Nothing like insertion for me. Just some bleeding afterward. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the input, ladies.

• Excuse the lack of punctuation and paragraphs above. Damn mobile version.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards