Christian Weddings

Monday QOTD

With Tropical Storm Debby gearing up for some fun, let's talk about weather. Anyone live in an area where hurricanes and tropical storms are frequent?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Monday QOTD

• When I lived in Virginia, we would get the residual wind and rain from some of the storms, especially if they hit the Carolinas or Va Beach.  More so in Central Va when I was in college than in my hometown west of the mountains.

Here in Kansas, I don't know how much one coming up from the gulf would affect us.  We've had some nasty thunderstorms and strong winds, but apparently the town we're in hasn't had a tornado on the ground in over 30 years.
  • We loose power on perfectly sunny days. We actually get wind when there are hurricanes off the sc coast, but that's about it. I was in Richmond what Isabel hit. Campus lost power and water. So we were all sent home for a week. Hurrication!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I live in the land of the mildest weather ever.  We rarely get tornadoes, never a hurricane/tropical storm, an inch of snow is a blizzard, and only one or two minor earthquakes in my lifetime.  The worst is the 3 weeks of 90+ degree heat every summer.  I hate that part.
  • When I was in college in southern Illinois, we got the residual rains from Hurricane Katrina ... it rained for about 3 days straight. And while I wasn't living there at the time, when DH was still there something called an inland hurricane struck the college town and knocked out the power for two weeks. DH and I don't live in an area where anything like that can come our way.
  • We get nothing (thankfully...I hate storms).  All we get are haboobs and an occasional (VERY occasional) flash flood.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker weddingpreview
  • Hi. Me! 

I'm a SoFla girl. We get hurricanes/tropical depressions/whacky weather every year. :)

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_monday-qotd-20?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:3a87c988-3527-4b07-a214-a3f68a3e3855Post:c09eb99e-8894-4930-b198-fbdea0cbcc72">Re: Monday QOTD</a>:
    [QUOTE]I live in the land of the mildest weather ever.  We rarely get tornadoes, never a hurricane/tropical storm, an inch of snow is a blizzard, and only one or two minor earthquakes in my lifetime.  The worst is the 3 weeks of 90+ degree heat every summer.  I hate that part.
    Posted by DramaGeek[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Ditto. Except she gets more rain than I do where I'm at ;)

</div>
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • We get super heavy snowfall in the winters (where the only road into town gets closed down) and forest fires in the summer. No hurricanes or tornados that I know of.
  • I live in East TN...nothing happens here...well except for snow. I live in the mountains so snow can get pretty bad.

My older sister and her H and ILs are leaving for Panama City, FL Saturday.  They are flipping out about Debbie (They purchased insurance on their rooms so they can get a refund if they don't get to go)...4th of July is not a good time to go anyways. It's always so crowded then.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • When I lived in central Va, we would get some remnants of hurricanes. Now that I live in western Va, to my knowledge they don't get anything from hurricanes (I have only lived here 3 years and so far so good).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • What is this "weather" stuff you speak of?

~ California Girl :)

Haha, I have actually never been in really terrible weather, and saw snow for the first time since I was ten this year (and that's because we drove to Reno to see my nephew's birth). The thought of tornados or hurricanes or super heavy snow totally freaks me out! But I wouldn't even get out of bed for an earthquake less than a 5.0.
    Things I love: my Bunnies, baking, books, and The Beatles
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_monday-qotd-20?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:3a87c988-3527-4b07-a214-a3f68a3e3855Post:1f4c1482-91d1-46ee-970b-b40b5251b35c">Re: Monday QOTD</a>:
    [QUOTE] Now that I live in western Va, to my knowledge they don't get anything from hurricanes (I have only lived here 3 years and so far so good).
    Posted by Ash61612[/QUOTE]
    We were hit pretty hard by Isabel in 2003, and I was on the other side of the mountains than you are now.  School was closed for 3 days due to flooding and power outages.  Which wasn't fun at all because there was no power, we couldn't go outside, and the only bridge out of town headed towards Roanoke was flooded, too.
  • No, I'm in Canada and we just get the tail end of those storms, some rain and wind. We honeymooned during a hurricane last August, that was interesting! Irene I think. Lots of airports were closed and it caused a lot of confusion for others.
  • Nope... but Texas is in Tornado Alley
    Daisypath Graduation tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Nope, we're in a pretty safe area. The only thing we have is a lot of basement flooding and we did recently have a tornado (which is a much more rare occurance up in Canada than a lot of the places in the US so it causes A LOT of damage because nothing is built to be prepared for any type of storm. So a small tornado that the US would think is 'normal' is a few million dollars of 'OH NO' up here lol).

I am always mesmerized with the images of what some of you face. I can't imagine knowing I was preparing for that...
  • I live in England, so we get rain.... and rain.... and more rain....
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards