Getting in Shape

Insanity

Hey ladies!!

I saw an infomercial for the work out Insanity... Yes, I love infomercials!!

Anyone heard anything about this? I read the reviews online and most are good but some say it will hurt your back pretty bad. I have scoliosis pretty bad in my back and I dont want to do anything that will mae it worse.

Any thoughts?

Getting Hitches 08/09/2014

Re: Insanity

• I haven't tried it either. Before committing to it, why don't you try one of the workouts from bodyrock.tv? They're similar in concept and intensity but shorter, and for a lot of them you need basic to no equipment (as long as you can deal with the sexual innuendoes). I would suggest getting used to those before trying Insanity - I'm in quite shape and I think I would be dead about halfway through!
  • I've done the first month of Insanity (twice now), and it is the most aptly named program out there. It's a lot of high intensity, plyometric moves. They hurt. it's the type of program that you have to expect that you won't make it through the entire workout without stopping.

I really liked it, but ended up getting sick both times, and it's not something that you can pick up where you left off when you feel better.

I've looked at a few of the Bodyrock tv clips, but haven't done the workouts, so I can't comment on how they compare, other than to say that I prefered the tone of the Insanity ones, kwim?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_insanity-16?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:a990ac12-655c-470c-a515-415b8d8e8ec5Post:04f96205-0c6c-493e-81fd-415605cc9e8e">Re: Insanity</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've done the first month of Insanity (twice now), and it is the most aptly named program out there. It's a lot of high intensity, plyometric moves. They hurt. it's the type of program that you have to expect that you won't make it through the entire workout without stopping. I really liked it, but ended up getting sick both times, and it's not something that you can pick up where you left off when you feel better. I've looked at a few of the Bodyrock tv clips, but haven't done the workouts, so I can't comment on how they compare, other than to say that I prefered the tone of the Insanity ones, kwim?
    Posted by jennylee813[/QUOTE]

<div>I've done the Bodyrock workouts (the ones that only require bodyweight and a ball becuase that's all I have at home) and I like the fact that they're short and quick. They don't take more than 15-20 minutes to do. To me an hour of high-intensity intervals seems counterintuitive and counterproductive. There's a reason sprinters sprint short distances, not long ones. :-) If you (general "you" out there) prefer short and intense, bodyrock is a good place to start.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_insanity-16?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:a990ac12-655c-470c-a515-415b8d8e8ec5Post:a3540201-1c2c-4f01-975b-4fcc6734fba4">Re: Insanity</a>:
    [QUOTE]I haven't tried it either. <strong>Before committing to it, why don't you try one of the workouts from bodyrock.tv?</strong> They're similar in concept and intensity but shorter, and for a lot of them you need basic to no equipment (as long as you can deal with the sexual innuendoes). I would suggest getting used to those before trying Insanity - I'm in quite shape and I think I would be dead about halfway through!
    Posted by unchatenfrance[/QUOTE]

<div>I absolutely love bodyrock tv.  It is such a great workout.</div>
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_insanity-16?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:a990ac12-655c-470c-a515-415b8d8e8ec5Post:ba1c4e45-e50f-41c3-be25-d4853e2fec1d">Re: Insanity</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Insanity : I absolutely love bodyrock tv.  It is such a great workout.
    Posted by lbarr088[/QUOTE]

<div>Haha, I am totally going to sound like bodyrock is paying me, but I haven't done any of their workouts or been on their website for ages and saw that Zuzana is gone. A quick google search indicated that she is on her own now, and her own workout series is even more minimalist on the equipment. I'll definitely be trying some of them!</div><div><a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.youtube.com/user/ZuzkaLight">http://www.youtube.com/user/ZuzkaLight</a></div><div>
    </div><div>Sorry to hijack the thread, OP!</div>
  • Thanks ladies...

I will look up bodyrock tonight and check that out. I want to get into a routine as I have been just doing a few exercises I like everyday but nothing formal.
    I want something I can do every other day and do what I want inbetween those "structured" days.  

• Zuzana is gone?  I love her.  LOVE her.  I would sweat and pant like no tomorrow to her workouts.  I will definitely check out her workouts.  Thanks for the link! 

Nike, best of luck!  If you try one of the workouts let me know how you like it!
  • I'm actually doing insanity right now and I love it. It is definitely crazy-intense but I think it's totally do-able. Even with taking a handful of breaks because I'm not in tip-top shape at present, I dropped 7 pounds during the first week. If you're motivated and don't mind a ton of jumping, I definitely recommend it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_insanity-16?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:a990ac12-655c-470c-a515-415b8d8e8ec5Post:d8401c7c-5296-4ec0-a716-6bbaed66bdeb">Re: Insanity</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Insanity : I've done the Bodyrock workouts (the ones that only require bodyweight and a ball becuase that's all I have at home) and I like the fact that they're short and quick. They don't take more than 15-20 minutes to do.<strong> To me an hour of high-intensity intervals seems counterintuitive and counterproductive. </strong>There's a reason sprinters sprint short distances, not long ones. :-) If you (general "you" out there) prefer short and intense, bodyrock is a good place to start.
    Posted by unchatenfrance[/QUOTE]

<div>Insanity isn't all high intensity. The warm up goes through the same routine three times and takes about 5 minutes. Then there's another 5-7 minutes of stretching. The high impact, 'workout' is actually between 15-20 minutes at most, and it too starts slow and builds. Then there's the cooldown stretch. </div><div>
    </div><div>It's still a killer.</div><div>
    </div><div>I like the overall vibe I get from Insanity. Again, I haven't done bodyrock, but I did look at a few of the videos and didn't feel the same energy. Maybe I was looking at the wrong ones???</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks all...

I will ask my doc what he thinks before I start it... With the 45 degree curve in my spine, I really should be asking him what he thinks would be best for me.

Thanks

• edited January 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_insanity-16?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:a990ac12-655c-470c-a515-415b8d8e8ec5Post:82bd841c-4682-439b-a173-1ac377591f6e">Re: Insanity</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Insanity : Insanity isn't all high intensity. The warm up goes through the same routine three times and takes about 5 minutes. Then there's another 5-7 minutes of stretching. The high impact, 'workout' is actually between 15-20 minutes at most, and it too starts slow and builds. Then there's the cooldown stretch.  It's still a killer. I like the overall vibe I get from Insanity. Again, I haven't done bodyrock, <strong>but I did look at a few of the videos and didn't feel the same energy. Maybe I was looking at the wrong ones???</strong>
    Posted by jennylee813[/QUOTE]

<div>Do you basically do the insanity workout along with the video in real time, like you would to an old-school aerobics tape? You can't do this with the bodyrock videos. They basically explain to you what the workout is but then you do it on your own time. That's probably the difference in vibe. That and I'm guessing insanity doesn't have gratuitous shots of the instructor's breasts and butt :-)</div>
  • Yeah, it's a real time thing, so that makes a difference.

There are lots of scantily clad men and women in the workout, and *spoiler alert* Shaun does remove his shirt! Surprised
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I did start the Insanity program and I have knee issues and some past back issues. I pushed through two and a half weeks thinking I would get used to it. The rest of my body did but my knees and back never did. I was going to the chiro twice a month (I usually go once). It was an excellent workout and showed awesome results, but I couldn't put myself through it. My Chiro never came out and told me to quit, but he always hinted towards it. It was hard talking myself into giving it up because I saw such awesome results. Definitely talk to your doctor. If you go to the chiro run it past them, too. They know what your back should be able to handle.

On a side note, if you decide it isn't something you should risk but you would still like an at home workout I recommend giving Jillian Michaels a try. Her 30 Day Shred uses the interval training like Insanity does but it is half the length and not as hard on your knees and back. Of course, it doesn't show results quite as quickly but it is still really good.
  • I will look into the 3 day shred... I heard that shes not that great htough because she doesnt do the work outs with you while Shaun did. I will look into that though... Some results are better than nothing...

I have never been to the chiro... My doc wants to do surgury on my back and I can let that happen. I dont want to make it worse but im not stopping my goals for this either... just need to get smarter on the subject.

• LiLe422LiLe422 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2013
    I absolutely agree that you should consult your doctor before starting any workout program. 

My experience with Insanity - I love it, but ouch!

It is an intense program and if I do all the jumping my knees tend to be sore the next day or two (even when I'm super careful, ya know -  knees over ankles.)  I tend to replace some of the high impact jumping moves with a lower impact move.  Otherwise, I think it is a fantastic workout.  My FI does Insanity with me and never has knee soreness.

Just a side note - I noticed a pp mentioned getting sick after Insanity.  That happened to me when I first started but quickly realized it was because I couldn't eat before I worked out.  Now I work out in the morning as soon as I wake up and I never feel ill.

Currently,  I am doing a Hybrid of Insanity and ChaLean Extreme.  Its is a 14 week program that is a combination of the two programs.  I love this one because I get the great cardio of Insanity and the strength training of ChaLean.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Thanks Stage... I am going to look it up when I get home.

• I LOVE Insanity, and have done it several times over- seriously, saw some great results. However, and this is also coming from somebody with a back injury and minor scoliosis in my lower back, this may not be the best program for you if, a) you don't already do pretty intense cardio at least 4-5 days/week, and b) ESPECIALLY if you have really bad back problems. I am actually taking a break from doing workouts like that because I re-injured my back and, if you're not careful, Insanity can make back injuries WAY worse (it even says something about it in the warning/fitness info on every DVD). My suggestion- if you are already able to do pretty intense cardio, pull up one of the videos (I recommend the Plyo Cardio Circuit, cause that's the first one you start out with anyways) and watch some of it, see what you think (since nobody knows your back problems, capabilities, and/or limitations like YOU do). If you think you can handle it, try a bit of it. Do NOT feel bad supplementing/modifying some moves that might hurt your back- trust me, it's not worth it. 

Again, I LOVE this program and Shaun T is crazy motivating- but I've also aggravated a back injury by not paying enough attention to my body while doing this program, and can honestly tell you that that sucks and will only delay your workout plans further. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_insanity-16?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:a990ac12-655c-470c-a515-415b8d8e8ec5Post:daa055ce-fa72-4224-a10c-1dede4f92a6e">Insanity</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey ladies!! I saw an infomercial for the work out Insanity... Yes, I love infomercials!! Anyone heard anything about this? I read the reviews online and most are good but some say it will hurt your back pretty bad. I have scoliosis pretty bad in my back and I dont want to do anything that will mae it worse. Any thoughts?
    Posted by nikegrl688[/QUOTE]

If you have Soliosis, I wouldn't recommend it but you should check with your Dr.

It is VERY hard on the knees and people with back/joint problems. My H has Arthritis in his back and couldn't do it. I have started it 3 times. (Haven't completed yet) This time; I'm determined. It leaves you sore in places you didn't know you had muscle. It's all about technique though so it's definitely not for everyone.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards