Plus-Sized

Recommendations for a shaper/slimmer?

Anyone have one they love that doesn't cut off circulation?  I need to trim about 3 inches from my ribcage area.  I am on the VERY plus size end of the spectrum and even though the dress is as big as they come, it still doesn't fit.  I know I could add a corset back, but to be honest, I think they're butt ugly and they wouldn't go with the style of my dress at all.  I am definitely on a low cal diet with exercise, but my first fitting is right after Christmas and I'm terrified.  I am losing inches everywhere except where I need to lose them - in the ribcage area. 

So.... if you have something you'd recommend, I'd love to check it out.  I'm normally a street size 30/32.  Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker
58 invited image | 17 love destination weddings image
20 can't make it image | 21 don't know what to do with a RSVP card image
RSVP Deadline: March 8th

Re: Recommendations for a shaper/slimmer?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_recommendations-for-a-shaperslimmer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:ea9577e4-375a-49c8-9118-291105ee3e85Post:d2307908-9b50-4f72-976f-aa0d1ddee1cb">Recommendations for a shaper/slimmer?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Anyone have one they love that doesn't cut off circulation?  I need to trim about 3 inches from my ribcage area.  I am on the VERY plus size end of the spectrum and even though the dress is as big as they come, it still doesn't fit.  I know I could add a corset back, but to be honest, I think they're butt ugly and they wouldn't go with the style of my dress at all.  I am definitely on a low cal diet with exercise, but my first fitting is right after Christmas and I'm terrified.  I am losing inches everywhere except where I need to lose them - in the ribcage area.  So.... if you have something you'd recommend, I'd love to check it out.  I'm normally a street size 30/32.  Thanks!
    Posted by ChiGirl2013[/QUOTE]

My only recommendation is to use spanx and/or a longline bra.  The longline bra has a corset built into it, so, it may help. 

Losing weight will certainly help, but as you are experiencing, you may not lose weight in the exact location you are hoping for.    Are you drinking lots and lots and lots of water? If not, try that, that may help speed up the weight loss.

By the way, referring to something that probbaly 80% of the brides here wore as "butt ugly" is incredibly rude.   You would have been better off saying "corsets just aren't my style and it wouldn't go with the style of dress anyway".   You can say you don't like or want something without being so offensive.
  • PS.  I have used these waist cinchers in the past.  They aren't super comfortable, but if you can find the right size, you will still be able to breathe.

http://www.lindasonline.com/squeem-firm-compression-cotton-rubber-waist-cincher-26c.html
  • I recommend a Colombian girdle. They're pretty comfortable since they don't have wire boning and do the trick. I bought in a Medium and it was a little small so it hikes up in the back so i recommend going with your true size. i figured since i wanted a 30" waist, i should buy a smaller size and it didn't quite fit my hips since my hips measure 52" If this one doesn't work for you, they have different shapers and girdles that might. I liked them because the mesh is airy.

http://www.amazon.com/Body-Slimming-Shaper-Vedette-Small/dp/B0031AZOIE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1352834339&sr=8-3&keywords=fajas+reductoras+colombianas

• My apologies to anyone who was offended by the way I expressed my opinion.  The board I usually frequent uses that expression quite a bit and I guess it's just become part of my Knottie vocabulary.  I did not mean to offend anyone who does like that style, or who wore a corset back dress.  I will do a better job from now on at reviewing my posts and remembering that I'm not on my "home" board when I post my opinions.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    58 invited image | 17 love destination weddings image
    20 can't make it image | 21 don't know what to do with a RSVP card image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8th
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_recommendations-for-a-shaperslimmer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:ea9577e4-375a-49c8-9118-291105ee3e85Post:565f80a5-9368-4f82-ab75-4b7a43d57852">Re: Recommendations for a shaper/slimmer?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My apologies to anyone who was offended by the way I expressed my opinion.  The board I usually frequent uses that expression quite a bit and I guess it's just become part of my Knottie vocabulary.  I did not mean to offend anyone who does like that style, or who wore a corset back dress.  I will do a better job from now on at reviewing my posts and remembering that I'm not on my "home" board when I post my opinions.
    Posted by ChiGirl2013[/QUOTE]

thanks.  I just important to know who you are talking to.  I can't imagine that even some of the people on your "home board" enjoy hearing that the dress they selected is "butt ugly" either.  They just might not speak up about it.
  • i am on the VERY large size as well. in fact my designer is creating my dress to my measurements (Lazaro) because i am larger than the largest size (which i think was 28 in wedding dress). anyway, i have several spanx products i like. i bought one at lane bryant ages ago and from amazon.. onestopplus has some other brands to choose from that go in higher weights as well. currently, the stock at lane bryant only go to 3x i think
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards