Massachusetts-Boston

Bagpipes at Wedding

Hi Ladies!

So I have decided to have a bagpiper play at our wedding as a surprise to Future Hubby (who is a huge bagpipes fan).   For those of you who have had one during your ceremony, when did he play?  While guests sat?  During specific parts of the ceremony?  I was thinking I'd like it for the whole wedding processional, including my dad and I walking down, however can they play that long? LOL I suppose I could ask the bagpiper these deals, but its a friend of a friend and I don't have the contact information yet, so I figured I'd check here first to see what's the norm.

TIA!

Re: Bagpipes at Wedding

• edited December 2011
    We had a bagpiper but he only played for guest arrival (30 min before the ceremony) and departure - we used musicians for the processional and ceremony itself. The bagpiper was actually a gift for us so it was a nice surprise when we got to the church...

That really doesn't help much...sorry!
  • edited December 2011
    As you exit the church, that would be such a surprise!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks girls!
    I should have clarified, we are actually getting married outside and the only other music I had planned on having was Enya for the processional and recessional.  I guess I could have mentioned that! :)

Think it would be good to have him play as the bridal party walks down the aisle?
  • megandjaymegandjay member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that would be great! I love the bagpipes (when they are good, haha!)!

I think they can play a wide variety of music, surely enough for parts of the ceremony. I have only ever seen them like Bostonbride, play outside of the Church for before and after the wedding.
  • edited December 2011
    Hi ladies, I am actually trying to find someone to play for my wedding next summer too. Does anyone have any recomendations? I know this is something my fiance really wants. TIA!
  • edited December 2011
    We went to a wedding where the piper played outside before and after the wedding. He also piped from the back of the church when the bride went down the aisle. For the recessional he piped as he walked down the center aisle, met the bride and groom  who then followed him out of the church. It was pretty neat. HTH
  • edited December 2011
    @ jesibel - I LOVE the idea of bagpipes for the whole ceremony! there are so many options on what can be played, I say go for it!

@ Miller - I'm happy to recommend our bagpiper, PM or leave your email address I'll send you his contact info. - he was a gift, so I'm not sure on pricing, sorry!
  • megandjaymegandjay member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Miller- you can get a bagpiper through the Boston Police Dept marching band. They quoted $250 for 30 min before and after. We just decided it was one more thing and didn't get it.

http://www.bostonpolicegaeliccolumn.com/hireapiper/hireapiper.htm

I will say that it is very important to make sure you have an experienced bagpiper, not just someone who is new/learning, or it can be terrible ;-0
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you Megandjay! I know nothing about bagpipers so this is a bit challenging for me.
  • edited December 2011
    ours was a cop from the south shore...seems to be their thing to do :)

someone also recommended Boston Pipers to me, here's their website: http://www.bostonpipers.com/
  • edited December 2011
    Bostonbride you have a pm, :-) TIA
  • m4150m4150 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had a bagpiper do outside as guests entered, and then the ceremony. He piped up the aisle to start the ceremoy, then for the bridal party and then me and my dad. At the end of the ceremoy, he played as we went down the aisle. He was $250 and a firefighter. Having the bagpiper do the ceremony was unexpected to many guests and one of the details that many guests have commented on since the wedding. Depending on your ceremony venue, they may have to use the smaller pipes for inside so as to not be overbearing.

I work with bagpipers alot for a firefighters memorial that I coordinate. Any questions, email me at melissa at mjhcomm dot com.

Hope this helps!
  • edited December 2011
    Hi!

I have to weigh in on this since I am a former Scottish Highland Dance Champion!  I know of a pipe major who I can get you contact information for if you are interested.  He's really great.

As far as what they can play, they're pretty flexible so I would chat with whoever you hire.  Most of the weddings that I have been to, the piper has played during the recessional but since I am a huge fan of bagpipes, I think having them as much as you want is a great idea.  Feel free to send me a PM if you are interested in the piper's name.

Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    We had a piper at our wedding (tradition in my family) - he actually played at my mother's wedding, so that was kind of neat. Anyways, his name was George Kinney from Sound O'the Pipes. He was fantastic - he had a few original compositions that were just beautiful. We had him play for the parents seating and processional, and the recessional, so it was 3 songs total (I can't remember his pricing, but I think he charges by the song?). I was really glad we could have a piper - you can't play the pipes outside in certain temperatures, but thankfully it was a balmy 70 degrees last Halloween!

• edited December 2011
    thanks a bunch girls!  Lots of useful information here :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards