New York-New York City

antique wedding gown alteration/restoration

I have a beautiful off-white silk and lace floor length gown purchased in 1968 for my mother's wedding (she wore a different dress). I am hoping to wear this gown at my own wedding in Sept. I am looking for a really good dressmaker who can help me - I need the bust area to be taken in a bit, and there are some discoloration stains on the dress that need to be disguised somehow. Does anyone have recommendations for a vendor in New York City area, or CT? I live in Brooklyn, NY and the dress is in New Haven, CT. Thanks in advance!

Re: antique wedding gown alteration/restoration

• edited December 2011
    I highly recommend Silhouettes and Profiles on the UWS -- http://www.besttailorsny.com/

I wore my mother's dress too (from 70s) and needed the bust and waist taken in and sleeves removed. Silhouettes and Profiles did a fabulous job at a much better price than other "wedding dress" tailors I checked out. Their alterations looked totally natural 
    to the garment and fit perfectly. 

I don't have any experience personally with how they deal with discoloration, so I can't comment on that, but they've also done restoration work for the Met and frequently work with vintage items, so they definitely know their stuff. 

Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for the help! I ended up getting the dress professionally cleaned, and they were able to lighten it back to a beautiful ivory color, and remove the discoloration (Sutton Cleaners on 1st ave at 59th st). I picked it up last Friday: in the cleaning process, the seams were weakened and the dress shrank a bit, and in place of where the stain was, there is a small tear, so I will still be needing some help to get the dress back in shape. I really appreciate your recommendation, thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards