African American Weddings

Are you using an MC?

We are going back and forth trying to decide if we want / need one?

Our DJ or one of our Band members can make the simple announcements directing the guests but FI wants someone that can walk around and help keep the party lively.

If you are using one can you tell me the average price they charge? And what exactly do they do?

Wedding date July 7, 2012

Re: Are you using an MC?

• edited December 2011
    Nope... that's something we require our DJ to do. 

I don't know that you really need to incur the extra expense of a "hype man/MC." Most reputable DJs know that this is a part of being one. Otherwise he/she is just a cd player/changer. LOL
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    130 image Are on the way! The rest don't matter... FINAL COUNT~!
  • wallacjewallacje member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011

Nope.

Our DJ announced everything that we needed.

Seems to me like any DJ that done a wedding reception before would do that for you without the extra cost.

• edited December 2011
    We are having one but she is a friend of the family so she is doing it free of charge. I have no idea what she charges regularly though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Nope, thats what we paid the DJ for.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • cosmos07cosmos07 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No...we are using one of the band members.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MsAmeera25MsAmeera25 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My DJ package includes one an MC and a DJ so I am not sure of the cost factor separately. All the weddings i've attended had an MC and a DJ so I thought this was the norm.

• edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies. I know that an MC is not necessary but I like the idea of someone walking around interacting with the quests and the DJ / Band is pretty much staying in one spot.

If I can find someone inexpensive I might hire one.
    Wedding date July 7, 2012
  • chescamchescam member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

We had an MC. He was a DJ back in the day and he did an awesome job. I emailed him what I was looking for and he did that and much more. Our situation may be different though because all of the music at our wedding was done friends.

The DJ, MC, and soloists were all friends.

Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    Nope, we will use the DJ for that.  He better be hype too. lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • hatroopeshatroopes member
    edited December 2011
    We had an MC - there was no doubt in my mind that I wanted one. He was a comedian that performed at an event we went to and he kept us laughing the entire night, so DH and I approached him about MCing our wedding. His "going" rate was $500, but we were able to negotiate with him for a reduced price.

He was funny for the most part and kept the laughs coming till........................................

he made an off-color joke about a Chinese stereotype, and one of our photogs is Chinese. I'm not sure if she heard him, but I was SOOOO embarassed! I say go for it if you can afford to, but make sure not to hire a moron like we did.
  • edited December 2011
    My Dad wants to do it! He's actually a great public speaker and keeps folks laughing. He's worried my biological father will be jealous though, so he want's me to mention it and see how it goes. I told him our DJ could just do it to avoid the drama, and he is very passionate about someone who actually knows us doing it to share personal stories and relate to the guest. I hadn't really thought about it in that way, but I think that may fit our crowd well.
  • edited December 2011
    Excuse my extreme ignorance, but is having an MC for a wedding a southern thing? I've never heard of anyone having one before outside of using the DJ as the MC. What do they do for the most part? Are they a separate part of the entertainment?
  • kaimahkaimah member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    No, my family is from West Africa and it's a big deal who you select to MC your wedding.  My wedding is 10 months away and I get asked daily about my MC choice. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • hatroopeshatroopes member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_using-mc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:a476fa10-17f9-4519-b8ae-f6293eef9e2aPost:732f1ac3-a108-424c-b397-7aa9609074ad">Re: Are you using an MC?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>No, my family is from West Africa and it's a big deal who you select to MC your wedding.  </strong>My wedding is 10 months away and I get asked daily about my MC choice. 
    Posted by kaimah[/QUOTE]

<div>This exactly! My sis-in-law didnt have an MC at her wedding, and it was a little different - that was the first wedding I've been to that didn't have one</div>
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_using-mc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:a476fa10-17f9-4519-b8ae-f6293eef9e2aPost:732f1ac3-a108-424c-b397-7aa9609074ad">Re: Are you using an MC?</a>:
    [QUOTE]No, my family is from West Africa and it's a big deal who you select to MC your wedding.  My wedding is 10 months away and I get asked daily about my MC choice. 
    Posted by kaimah[/QUOTE]

This!!! my family is from Ghana and my parents already knew who they wanted to be my MC as soon as I got engaged, lol

Gotta love it!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • MsAmeera25MsAmeera25 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_using-mc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:a476fa10-17f9-4519-b8ae-f6293eef9e2aPost:35f9321d-77c9-4179-974d-e94c54a51c17">Re: Are you using an MC?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Excuse my extreme ignorance, but is having an MC for a wedding a southern thing? I've never heard of anyone having one before outside of using the DJ as the MC. What do they do for the most part? Are they a separate part of the entertainment?
    Posted by kiyamurph[/QUOTE]

<div>Hmm i'm not sure if it is a southern thing because I've been to weddings in tons of places and they always have an MC. Their roles may be different in different areas though. My MC's responsibility is to introduce the bridal party etc, and keep track of the timeline, he will be working closely with my planner to have the appropriate atmosphere music etc. But more importantly to ensure the DJ is focused on the 1 thing he is responsible for which is the music with no distractions such as requests etc.</div><div>
    </div><div>Usually by having a DJ and an MC there is a smoother transition between songs during introductions because the DJ isn't talking and then trying to get the song ready. Our MC is funny and entertaining so in some ways he will entertain the guests but that isn't his main purpose.</div><div>
    </div>

• edited December 2011
    Ok, thanks for clearing that up MsAmeera.  This is the first time I've ever heard of an MC.  Our DJ did all of the announcements and everything and the night flowed just fine.  You learn something new everyday!
  • edited December 2011
    We didn't have enough programming at our wedding to require an emcee outside of our DJ. I wanted the focus to be on partying vs. a lot of other formalities.   

If you do select someone, I would advise you to give them a script so that the program of your reception follows the format you have in your mind. You also want to make sure they don't inadvertantly turn their time on the microphone into a roast.  I would meet with them and be sure to give clear parameters about subject matter.  I have seen it be done really well or really badly when there is no direction given.  
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards