Military Brides

Amending Orders to Reflect a Spouse -- 9 months later?

My fiance is Air Force and I have to ask because he can't be the only blue-suiter to ever encounter this circumstance.

My fiance is a Captain-Type and he moved to a new duty station this past December. I am a Civilian currently working at his last duty station -- I am in a contracts internship program that I will graduate from in July. Through my office, I've worked a transfer for myself to an office near his current station. I thought everything was going swimmingly until I got a call today from my program advisor saying that even though I am moving several states away, I likely will not get PCS funds, and certainly will not get them until *after* we are married. It's kind of a catch 22, because our wedding isn't until September.

They mentioned the possibility that my Fiance might be able to Amend his orders (which he moved on this past december) to include me even though we were not married at the time. Has anyone else had experience with this? How did you handle it? What did you do?

Did anyone else have to do a Civilian PCS separate from their spouse when they got married? If so, did the money come from your exiting organization or from your acquiring office?

Re: Amending Orders to Reflect a Spouse -- 9 months later?

• Here's what I have gleaned from this board:  If you aren't included on the original orders, and he's already done his home move, and already moved all of his stuff from his last station, then you will pay to move all of your stuff out of pocket. If he hasn't done his home move, I would move all of my stuff to where his is and let them move it all together, which they will as long as it's under the weight limit. I'm pretty sure that's all you can do. I've heard a little about amended orders before, but, generally, I think that if you weren't already living together and your stuff wasn't already moved, you're pretty SOL about getting any money to move or getting a reimbursement, especially as he moved last December. I do think that even if you were to receive funds, that your advisor is right and you would not receive them until after you're married. 

I don't know if this is a lot different if you are a civilian employee of the DOD (I'm assuming that's what you are). I would think any funds you receive directly from your employer would be like any other job that offers to cover your relocation expenses, not related to your FI's PCS. 

My FI and I were living together when he got his orders to PCS, so the movers just moved all of our stuff together. However, while his gas and hotel rooms on the road came out of his PCS funds, we were out of pocket for any expenses I incurred. 

Worst case scenario: You will have to pay all of your moving expenses and will not be reimbursed. People do it all the time, and while it's expensive and not much fun, but I'd just go ahead and prepare for that. 
  • From what I know, you cannot be on his orders if you are not married.  Maybe some other ladies know other details but the military does not recongnize you until you are married. 

Welcome to the board!
  • Drat.

Any tips on recieving my own Civilian PCS through my career field? I mean, I'm relocating from one base to another base. It'd be useful to know which chain of command I need to bark up.
  • Sorry.  I don't even know where you would start. Good luck though!
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_amending-orders-to-reflect-a-spouse-9-months-later?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:7c94ae91-fb2b-4f10-a7eb-218daf9fbe09Post:cb21f837-e58d-47df-aad6-0c5cab8d9bca">Amending Orders to Reflect a Spouse -- 9 months later?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance is Air Force and I have to ask because he can't be the only blue-suiter to ever encounter this circumstance. My fiance is a Captain-Type and he moved to a new duty station this past December. I am a Civilian currently working at his last duty station -- I am in a contracts internship program that I will graduate from in July. Through my office, I've worked a transfer for myself to an office near his current station. I thought everything was going swimmingly until I got a call today from my program advisor saying that even though I am moving several states away, I likely will not get PCS funds, and certainly will not get them until *after* we are married. It's kind of a catch 22, because our wedding isn't until September. They mentioned the possibility that my Fiance might be able to Amend his orders (which he moved on this past december) to include me even though we were not married at the time. <strong>Has anyone else had experience with this? How did you handle it? What did you do? Did anyone else have to do a Civilian PCS separate from their spouse when they got married? If so, did the money come from your exiting organization or from your acquiring office?
    </strong>Posted by AshleyBKeen[/QUOTE]

Hey there, my H is AF as well. I was able to do a Civilian PCS spearate from my H but it was after we were already married.

Here is how it worked for<em><u> us</u></em>....
    H was able to amend his orders but that was after we got married and after he got me on DEERS, Tricare etc and I got my Mil ID -- which required a copy of our Marriage License. Personally, I don't know what he had to do to get his orders ammended. I do know his orders were cut (DD'd) for his first duty station move w/ a report no later than almost 1 yr later. Between that time he went to SERE and 4 month training at a different base. Since we got married during his training and before he reported to his perm. duty station he could ammend his orders.

We did a partial DITY move. First, he needed to get a POA for me to set up the move with TMO. We submited the dates online and then I was contacted by the TMO department at the base closest to me. The movers came and got my stuff back in Minnesota and brought it to our current place. (H is also from Minnesota and since he came straight from the AFA he never did an offical home move which is why I was able to get movers; at least that is what I'm told).  H on the other hand rented an UHaul and did his move on his own. (He was only moving 4 hours from his last base) He then submited all his receipts afterwards. I think he came out like $150 ahead.

TBH I think you are stuck since you are not a dependent yet. But I know there are ways around the moving allotment (like H finding out he could do a home move). <strong>My first piece of advice would be to call the TMO office where you are currently and where your FI is</strong>. ((H got different answers from his home base TMO and the TMO where he was doing training))

whew.... that was long. I will prob DD the dates this evening granted my interent at home desides it's done throwing a temper trantrum.
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_amending-orders-to-reflect-a-spouse-9-months-later?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:7c94ae91-fb2b-4f10-a7eb-218daf9fbe09Post:b0c087fd-d7d1-467b-af3c-541555c1ebf3">Re: Amending Orders to Reflect a Spouse -- 9 months later?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Drat. Any tips on recieving my own Civilian PCS through my career field? I mean, I'm relocating from one base to another base. It'd be useful to know which chain of command I need to bark up.
    Posted by AshleyBKeen[/QUOTE]

I do know that moving for work is tax deductible. I was able to deduct my costs for driving to job interviews while I was back in Minnesota but looking for work at our current station.

I'll try to do some goggling and add it when I find it.

ETA: <a href="http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc455.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc455.html</a>
  • I learned from these boards that because we are getting married after he moved, they will not pay for all of our stuff to move. My fiance` says this is not the case, he says that they will pay to ship everything. But honestly we don't nkow for sure either way. Our plan is just to go stress-free (or at least as much as posible) and not worry about it until after the wedding when I am on his orders. We are just going to go form there. Worst case scenario, we pay to ship what we need on our own!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image253 Invited
    image123 Accepted
    image53 Declined
    image99 Leavin' Me hangin
    RSVP Date: August 5, 2012
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_amending-orders-to-reflect-a-spouse-9-months-later?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:7c94ae91-fb2b-4f10-a7eb-218daf9fbe09Post:8953dd8d-231c-42ea-be70-06aed7ee17ce">Re: Amending Orders to Reflect a Spouse -- 9 months later?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I learned from these boards that because we are getting married after he moved, they will not pay for all of our stuff to move. My fiance` says this is not the case, he says that they will pay to ship everything. But honestly we don't nkow for sure either way. Our plan is just to go stress-free (or at least as much as posible) and not worry about it until after the wedding when I am on his orders. We are just going to go form there. Worst case scenario, we pay to ship what we need on our own!
    Posted by holycrapitsalexa[/QUOTE]
    Well if your stuff is all in one place and under the weight limit, they'll move it. It's not like they'll ask you which cup is yours. Maybe that's what he means? 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_amending-orders-to-reflect-a-spouse-9-months-later?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:7c94ae91-fb2b-4f10-a7eb-218daf9fbe09Post:2ad91ba5-4c2f-467b-8417-b1d4b359c564">Re: Amending Orders to Reflect a Spouse -- 9 months later?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Amending Orders to Reflect a Spouse -- 9 months later? : Well if your stuff is all in one place and under the weight limit, they'll move it. It's not like they'll ask you which cup is yours. Maybe that's what he means? 
    Posted by Irishcurls[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto.  If you already live together and aren't married when you PCS, they will move your stuff too as long as you are under the single SM weight limit.  H and i were married on our first PCS together, but not at the time orders were cut, so we only had single sailor weight limit.  We were fine though and didn't go over the weight limit with both of our stuff.  </div><div>
    </div><div>If your FI is already at that base though and you are just moving there to be with him then no, you aren't getting it paid for and it will be all out of pocket.  As for your work paying, that is something you would have to talk to with them.  But the military is not paying for you to join your FI where he is.  </div>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_amending-orders-to-reflect-a-spouse-9-months-later?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:7c94ae91-fb2b-4f10-a7eb-218daf9fbe09Post:2ad91ba5-4c2f-467b-8417-b1d4b359c564">Re: Amending Orders to Reflect a Spouse -- 9 months later?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Amending Orders to Reflect a Spouse -- 9 months later? : Well if your stuff is all in one place and under the weight limit, they'll move it. It's not like they'll ask you which cup is yours. Maybe that's what he means? 
    Posted by Irishcurls[/QUOTE]

He is already there...He went a while ago, that is what I mean.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image253 Invited
    image123 Accepted
    image53 Declined
    image99 Leavin' Me hangin
    RSVP Date: August 5, 2012
  • So, Belated Update:

Thanks for all the replys.

Here's what it all boiled down to: 

Ya'll are right, we were SOL on getting me moved as a dependent. IF he had not yet arrived at his Permanent Duty Station (due to school on the way or something similar), we may have been able to make magic happen, but because we weren't married when he got to his station, I was not able to be amended to his orders.

HOWEVER, because I am an AF Civilian, we may be able to garner some AFPC funds for a Civilian PCS for me, but it's entirely dependent on which way the wind is blowing through the money tree. It was completely unavailable to me as an intern (for you PAQs and CC's out there contemplating station reassignment and marriage) because they had a limited amoung of PCSes set aside for vectoring.

In the end, we may have to pay to move my stuff -- which we'll do if we have to. :)

Thanks for the assists!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards