Not Engaged Yet

Random question: Favorite colored stone?

Just thought of this after reading a post below where a knottie (ajwils04) posted pics of her new vintage e-ring with amethyst as the center stone  (completely gorgeous).  Then on the scrolling ads up top, saw a ring advert with a couple of colored center-stones.

As an 11 year old, I saw this catalog picture of an aquamarine ring, in sterling silver.  I wanted it oh-so-badly, but didn't have a shot at the $50 to get it, so instead cut out the pic, folded it really small, and put the picture in my little jewelry box.  I still have it, and still think it's a gorgeous ring, almost 20 years later. :)

I googled colored stones once, and apparently Aquamarine is a very fragile stone on the hardness index or whatever, where diamond is the hardest.  And I knew immediately it'd be completely impractical as an e-ring because I am very rough on my hands.  So apparently that's a consideration with colored stones.
Either way, I love blue/blue-green/green stones (at least the look of them).  I guess I also like my birthstone: peridot, but I've never looked anything up about it, and don't think I'd like it as a center-stone. 

What colored stones have you gals seen that are just gorgeous, enough to be a center-stone, maybe even for an e-ring?

Re: Random question: Favorite colored stone?

• edited December 2011
    I love emerald, since green is my favorite color and it's my birthstone. I also really love sapphires and rubies, which I think make pretty e-rings. I am kind of stuck on the idea of a "traditional" diamond, though.
  • zipis1zipis1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Peridot, amethyst, and tanzanite. All very beautiful.

• AudgiePodgeAudgiePodge member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Rhodolite garnet, but I'm pretty biased on that one.
    I'm not good at feelings.

• Wrkn925Wrkn925 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm pretty stuck on a diamond.  I'd never heard of colored stones being used as engagement rings until I joined here. (Besides stars having pink diamonds and ridiculously expensive stuff like that.)
    But they are all really pretty.  My birthstone is opal (natural), and pink something (man-made).  I wouldn't really want an e-ring in either of those.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I love dark colors, so I like sapphire, garnet, and some of those special topazes (mystic fire and blue mystic). I also like opals, both white and blue.

I did go with a clear stone for an e-ring, just because I feel like it goes with everything, but I did think about sapphire.
  • bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I pretty much love them all. But aquamarine is one of my favorites, as well as blue topaz. BF and I haven't decided for sure what sort of stone I will want in my engagement ring but I for sure do not want a diamond. I just think they are over-priced and I really don't want my engagement ring to cost more than $1000. I would just be uncomfortable with idea of my BF spending that much money. So we will probably go with asha or moissanite because I think they are really pretty but they aren't insanely expensive.

• Elle1036Elle1036 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I originally wanted a sapphire e-ring, but BF wanted it not to look like a birthstone ring, so we strayed away from it.  Still, though, I love blue and yellow sapphires.  I also love tanzite, aquamarine, and alexandrite.
  • edited December 2011
    My mother has a 2 ct aquamarine engagement ring and there are no scratches on it. I can't rate her hardness on her hands but the only problem with the ring is it had to be cut off when she gained too much weight (which has nothing to do with the center stone).

I would go to a jeweler and find out whether they are really that easy to scratch. And FWIW, I have chipped one of my diamond side stones so I would go talk to a jeweler about it. If you love that ring, I say go for it.
    Anniversary image
  • desertsundesertsun member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_random-question-favorite-colored-stone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:9fe9c24c-dfb3-4325-a811-f16fc351e428Post:5ecec4ba-b6e7-4a06-8397-677e32aba365">Re: Random question: Favorite colored stone?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Rhodolite garnet, but I'm pretty biased on that one.
    Posted by AudgiePodge[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Also my favorite. Are you biased b/c garnet is your birthstone? I'm a January girl myself. :)</div><div>
    </div>
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• deburnindeburnin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love sapphires. I especially love the ones with the floating star. I wish it was my birthstone. Instead I got ruby, which I dislike. :(
    ~*~Sept 2013 Siggy Challange - Then (2005) & Now (2012)~*~
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Somebody once said, it's the soul that matters. Baby who can really tell, when two hearts belong so well?
    Tale as Old as Time (Updated 11/26) Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Elle1036Elle1036 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_random-question-favorite-colored-stone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:9fe9c24c-dfb3-4325-a811-f16fc351e428Post:473663da-c4a9-4f27-b5d0-15c255bf36c7">Re: Random question: Favorite colored stone?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love sapphires. I especially love the ones with the floating star. I wish it was my birthstone. Instead I got ruby, which I dislike. :(
    Posted by deburnin[/QUOTE]

I'm a July baby, too!  And I also dislike ruby.
  • bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_random-question-favorite-colored-stone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:9fe9c24c-dfb3-4325-a811-f16fc351e428Post:a49fe482-7fba-49cd-a571-b75a6093fe91">Re: Random question: Favorite colored stone?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Random question: Favorite colored stone? : I'm a July baby, too!  And I also dislike ruby.
    Posted by Elle1036[/QUOTE]

ditto this. I don't hate rubies but they are far from my favorite.

• AudgiePodgeAudgiePodge member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_random-question-favorite-colored-stone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:9fe9c24c-dfb3-4325-a811-f16fc351e428Post:f677856e-4d46-4d9f-a443-ab173838cd52">Re: Random question: Favorite colored stone?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Random question: Favorite colored stone? : Also my favorite. Are you biased b/c garnet is your birthstone? I'm a January girl myself. :)
    Posted by desertsun[/QUOTE]

My birthstone is diamond. I'm an April girl. Rhodolite is the main stone we picked for the e-ring. I love it because of it's purple-y color.
    I'm not good at feelings.

• edited December 2011
    I love saphire even though my birthstone is ruby. I also like ruby though. I don't care what stone my engagement ring would have when I get engaged. I'll leave it up to my SO to choose.

EDIT: Check out this website: http://www.bernardine.com/birthstone/ancient.htm
    There are birthstones by months and by different cultures :-)
  • edited December 2011
    I love pink, but I am a pink girl. And I am not asking for a pink diamond or anything, I also like the pink sapphires, and they really aren't that much more pricey than the diamond stones I have been looking at either. BF said that if pink is what I want than pink is what I will get.

My birthstone is emerald and I love it, but I think it really looks a lot better up against yellow gold and I want a white gold ring.
    "City girl meets country boy. She falls in love immediately. Before you know it her whole world has changed."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards