New York-Upstate

DJ versus live band???

I haven't done my homework yet.. Music ois very important to us.  I looked around on the internet.. a lot of DJ services have packages about lighting etc.  We don't car eor want lighting effects etc.  We just want good music.  We both hate those group dances (electric slide, that cha cha slide to the right thing, macorana and anything resembling the hokey pokey). I personally would liek to avoid Hip Hop and country as well.  We are not country fans (sorry Budtterfly Kisses is out) and although hip hop and rap sounds really good on the car stereo (with the base box).. I really don't want it at my wedding (fairly certain my 89 yr old grandmother who will be 90 then won't appreciate it either.). 

On top of that..some of our favorite music is off the beaten path: our wedding song is by Ben Harper and my sister and brother in law will sing it for us.  We also enjoy Mazzy Starr, Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, Rusted Root, etc.

my FI's mother works with a man who moonlights as a DJ and has offerred his services at a discount rate.  I googled him.. I couldn't find his name or company.  Still waiting for FI to call him so we can find out more info.  I am very wary or the "I have a friend..." idea.  FI's mom is very pushy about this. 

What are others doing..how do I assure good music at an affordabl;e rate?  Is it better to have a live band or DJ?  I have never been to a wedding with a live band but i have to admit..the idea sounds really appealing.  No chicken dance with a live band and no threat of Eminem rapping  "I'ma tie her to the bed and set this house on fire" (yes i love that overplayed song, no i don't want it at my wedding)

Opinions welcome.

Re: DJ versus live band???

• burtcherylburtcheryl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Bands have a limited amount of songs they sing;
    DJs can play anything by original artists - more choice;
    Bands live sound is great
    DJs sound is good but not like a live band experience;
    Bands make bad MC's whereas DJs are good MC's;
    Bands would not be able to sing the type of music you want;
    A moonlighting DJ is NOT what you want to risk at ALL!
    Get a professional DJ who has liability insurance, good equipment and talent and does it for a living - this is your wedding day and the entertainment MAKES OR BREAKS it - do NOT skimp on this essential element;
    You have to think about what you guests like to dance to like when you give them a choice of food - do not limit the music to just what you want to hear as this gives less choice for your guests - why give your guests a choice of food when you like chicken - would you like them all to eat chicken because you do?

A good band will cost about $2500;
    A good DJ will cost you about $1200;

80% of people go with a DJ;
    17% with a Band:
    3% with a IPOD or other (DEFINITE disaster)
    Burt and Cheryl
  • edited December 2011
    my sister went IPOD route.. NOT a good idea.
  • camishay1camishay1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, although very economical, i think we're steering clear of the ipod idea.  We're leaning towards a band.  Mainly because it fits our theme (old hollywood glam) and we want something a little different.  We hire djs on a routine basis.  As part of our side business, we host/promote parties and events.  Although, selection of music is more limited, if it can be afforded, I am all for a band !  :-)  you can have a dj, anytime....bday parties, retirements, holiday parties, etc.  but a band has that WOW factor.  :-)

good luck and best wishes
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our DJ was a WOW factor and I have seen MANY bands - many, and many have been mediocre and some terrible
    Burt and Cheryl
  • camishay1camishay1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    this is true, burtcheryl....that's the drawback to a band, one must be very careful in the selection process.  Not all bands are good bands, and the entertainment can make or break your party.  
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Why not go for a DJ and a band combo?
    Best of both worlds?
    Burt and Cheryl
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    no bands play or sing rusted root and some of your choices therefore a DJ and band combo would be best
    Burt and Cheryl
  • edited December 2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards