July 2012 Weddings
Options

Bridal Shower Guest List...

My mom and sister have offered to throw a shower for me and they have asked me to make a guest list.

I started working on it and have 40 people so far and I'm not sure if that is too many for a shower. I'm including all of my aunts and female cousins, even though I'm pretty sure some of them won't come b/c they live across the country. I'm also not sure if I should include some of my FI's family that I know (right now I just have his mom and his SIL).

Is it more rude to invite ppl you really don't expect to come (and run the risk of seeming gift grabby for inviting them) or to just not invite them? I'm probably over thinking it, but I like getting your guy's input on this stuff.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Bridal Shower Guest List...

• Options
    AllyG303AllyG303 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited January 2012
    My mom is inviting family and people that live here...no OOTers except for my aunt, cousins and grandma, and FI's mom. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker weddingpreview
  • Options
    Not sure how we are doing this yet. My BMs are planning this with my mom and I come from a small family- we don't have a lot of ladies, but we will only invite people who are invited to the wedding if this helps.

My FMIL is throwing me another shower- FI comes from a huge family so she's going to take care of the guest list, it's too difficult to combine the showers because our families live 4 hours apart so I guess we're going to do two, but we're not going to invite the same people to both, don't want to seem gift grabby.
    doggie Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I am starting my guest list for my shower. I have people that I know won't come to the shower, but they invited me to all their wedding activities plus they are my friends. I don't think it is gift grabby. The way I look at it is you want them there and you want them to be included in your wedding activities so why not invite them you never know they may just surprise you and say yes that they are attending.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    There has been no talk of a shower for me yet, and now I'm starting to get nervous that we're behind on that!!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    My mom amd FMIL have only invited close friends and family and we have 56 invited.  We left off OOT people and people who most def wouldn't come (wives of friends, etc), so we didn't seem too grabby. 

I feel like showers seem to be such an inconvenience for people nowadays....
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Kate's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_bridal-shower-guest-list?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:bab77e20-db22-43f8-96cc-c96239790cf9Post:65cf6c83-529e-4c7c-84c6-ce97557f9ef7">Re: Bridal Shower Guest List...</a>:
    [QUOTE]There has been no talk of a shower for me yet, and now I'm starting to get nervous that we're behind on that!!
    Posted by ceglare4[/QUOTE]

Nah, I think it's still early... unless you're looking at having it at a restaurant or something.  Places around here tend to book up a few months out. 

My mom is a momzilla so I'm sure everything has been planned for months already.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Kate's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    ceglare maybe they are planning a surprise shower for you? I HATE suprises so the first thing I said was that I did not want a suprise! Plus my MOH asked me for a guest list, I think she said mine would be in April or June, depending.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    haha after I saw this thread I texted my mom and asked her if I was having a bridal shower. She's thinking sometime in May. She's going on a 10 day cruise in a week so she said no wedding anything until after she gets back haha. At least I know the idea hasn't been lost on her.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I think it's fine to invite everyone you want, including those across the country but be sure you ONLY invite those who are invited to your wedding.
    . Anniversary aandt image
  • Options
    My mom already asked me for my list.  We have 60 people.  It's all of my close friends all of my female family members, his female family members and that's it.  If we added our parents close friends it would get out of hand.  I hate surprises as well so I know that my shower is April 14th.  My mom is throwing it at a restaurant in our town. 
    Visit The Nest! BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    i think it is probably a good bet to invite everyone in town that you want to, but only invite the out of towners who are very close to you.  the only shower i have in the works is one for my mother's side of the family (my grandma was one of 8 so i have a very, very big family on this side!) we will probably just invite all of the ladies who live nearby, plus my aunts who i am close to who are out of town.  
  • Options
    Thanks for all the input! And yes, I'm not putting anyone on there I'm not inviting to the wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @Lady - mine is going to be April 14th too :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_bridal-shower-guest-list?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:bab77e20-db22-43f8-96cc-c96239790cf9Post:03d7be62-96a1-4b44-b82b-d5cc274183f9">Re: Bridal Shower Guest List...</a>:
    [QUOTE]@Lady - mine is going to be April 14th too :)
    Posted by BmoreBride311[/QUOTE]

Nice :) 
    Visit The Nest! BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I'm having two showers. One is for my moms side of the family. They are all OOT so we are having it in Philidelphia, which is the half-way point for everyone. They would have been mad if we didn't have one for them but we still wanted it to not be a hassle. My other shower will be local and include my FI's family (who are mostly local) and my friends. Some of my friends would have to travel but I couldn't imagine not inviiting them.

image 180 invited image 145 are ready to party image 35 are missing out image 0! can't find the mailbox rsvp's due back June 20th! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Every woman who is invited to the wedding.  I think my mom said around 50ish including the younger girls (under 12)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_bridal-shower-guest-list?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:bab77e20-db22-43f8-96cc-c96239790cf9Post:ec182684-3a49-4d33-9f98-00003f09153b">Re: Bridal Shower Guest List...</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>My mom is a momzilla so I'm sure everything has been planned for months already.
    </strong>Posted by k8888[/QUOTE]

HA. Mine too! But she's the best.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_bridal-shower-guest-list?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:bab77e20-db22-43f8-96cc-c96239790cf9Post:96962bc3-4056-4fd2-877a-2b2a9ccdceaf">Re: Bridal Shower Guest List...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Every woman who is invited to the wedding.  I think my mom said around 50ish including the younger girls (under 12)
    Posted by littlemoments324[/QUOTE]

Me too, only it's going to probably be closer to 100 people. But it will probably be potluck in the basement of our church. But that's the norm here. I think it's a regional thing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Untitled
    image 218 Invited image 130 Are ready to party!! image 79 Are missing out. :(image 10 Are making me wait. :(
  • Options
    I know my mom has started working on the guest list.  We have narrowed it done to be sometime in May.  I said surprise me if you want or don't, I'm pretty easy going.  I know I'll find out before though because my friends will jump all over getting together one weekend and I know my OOT cousin/bridesmaid is going to coming over for it.  I would like a surprise, but I doubt they can pull it off unless its April 21st and I'm not expecting it and dead tired from tax season.

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards