Wedding Invitations & Paper

Error Uploading Guest List File

I've been getting the following message when attempting to upload my guest list file:  An error has occurred while importing your contacts. Please confirm your file is an Excel document, noted with .xls in the file extension. ERROR [42000] [Microsoft][ODBC Excel Driver] 'Sheet1$' is not a valid name. Make sure that it does not include invalid characters or punctuation and that it is not too long.

The file is in the correct format with the correct extension.  There isn't a sheet named "Sheet1$", so I'm not sure what that's referring to.  I've also made sure that there aren't any invalid characters (I've named the sheet "List").

I'm an avid excel user, I've tried different browsers on 2 different computers, and I'm still getting the same error.  I've named the file different names, tried different sheet names, etc.  I've also checked the help section, but there's nothing there on importing.  Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks!!

Re: Error Uploading Guest List File

• Thanks for your suggestion, I made sure I didn't have any hidden sheets, I have one sheet with a legal name, I tried again and I still got that error message.  Any other suggestions?  Is there anyone at The Knot (tech dept) that I can be referred to?  Thank you very much!!!
  • Apparently it's a bug within Microsoft. I googled the error message and it took me to this page. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/288343

It's the driver used to connect to the spreadsheet. No clue how to fix it or what it really means. I think theknot has to fix the driver on their end. I'm quite frustrated that it doesn't work.
  • this has been happening to me since last year. It is a driver issue on theknot's side... I even deleted my account and recreated it to try to solve the problem (at their suggestion)... nothing. 
  • Having the exact same error here...

Moderator -- Are you all doing anything to fix this on your end, or should we look for another website to do our Save the Date through?

Thanks.
  • I was having the same problem. I created a new workbook, copy and pasted the information into the new blank workbook and that worked. I was able to import the whole file. I think it has to do with formatting alterations that are being made while working in Excel. It's something the website has to look into though.
  •  I have the exact same problem. What use is it to have the resources if they don't work??
  • Same issue here, using Excel 2010 but saving as a 97-2003.xls. 

Whoever is responsible for the backend needs to update this to reflect the fact that these errors are being encountered. 

OR POST THE SOLUTION:

1. Ensure you use ONLY the Headers show in the example (below):
    First Name Last Name Address 1 Address 2 City State Zip Email

2. Forget the spreadsheet you are getting the error with.  Copy the content of the sspreadsheet incuding above column headers into a NEW Excel spreadsheet and name it as required.

3.  It shold upload now, It worked first time for me with this fix.

Good luck Cool

• Copying and pasting the information into a new spreadsheet worked for me. Pasted as text only so the formatting wasn't included and everything uploaded quickly. Smile
  • I am getting the same error. I have tried all of the solutions posted here including hte copy+paste into a new document, getting rid of other sheets, renaming, downloading and filling in the template. I am also a seasoned excel and computer techy saavy person and cannot figure this out. The Knot- CAN YOU PLEASE ADDRESS THIS!?
  • I was having this error.  Here is what worked to get mine uploaded:  Copying and pasting into a new file AND saving AS .xls (NOT the newer version of excel).
  • Wow, I have done all of the above recommended fixes and still no luck.

Hard to believe that this issue goes all the way back to 2010 and no one from TK has responded or remedied the situation.

So much for listening to your customers.
  • I have tried EVERYTHING!!! I am at my wits end. Can theknot.com help us out here?
  • This worked, thanks!
  • I cannot believe this situation.  I have tried all suggestions and have had no luck.  I am mailing invites tomorrow that say to RSVP to the knot.  Does anyone have a phone number or email of anyone at the Knot?  This whole situation just seems crazy.  I cannot believe everyone has had this problem for so long and they have not fixed it!  
  • Nope, copying and pasting didn't work for me either. I made sure there were no punctuation/invalid characters. I changed the sheet name. Saved-as about a million times. So frustrating. I agree, it is ridiculous that this problem has not been addressed yet. I have copies of my guest list in files other than the knot. But I was hoping to import it so I could use the seating chart tool without having to manually enter in all guests' names. So much for using one of the tools for its intended purpose.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_error-uploading-guest-list-file?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:6e2956a3-62dc-4ac8-a2f8-be72d26a3f58Post:b9500f30-29f2-4424-85b1-6e55da66fbe7">Re: Error Uploading Guest List File</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't get an error with uploading. Everything looks great in the preview. I save and there is no error. There simply are no names. Any ideas?
    Posted by JohnnysGirl1211[/QUOTE]

I receive the same issue.  I got mine to come to a "preview" screen and saved, but no names to be found.  Did you find a solution, but chance?
  • I've also tried all the above! Please help! I can't believe they haven't resolved this issue after 3 YEARS! And they have no one you can ask for help!
  • The answer is making sure the tab is named "Sheet1" that you want uploaded. 
  • Tried exporting to XLS files and CSV file from Mac Numbers, same stupid error. I labeled the tab Sheet1 still same problem. WTF?
  • Medme27 said:
    Tried exporting to XLS files and CSV file from Mac Numbers, same stupid error. I labeled the tab Sheet1 still same problem. WTF?
    I had to import into Excel on Mac and then it worked. Lame.
  • I have been trying to import my guest list too. Except I have gotten all the way to the preview screen (all my data is there) and first there is no import my list button and second every time I hit the save button it takes me back to my dash board. My file did not upload or if it did I have no idea where it is because my guests aren’t there. This is very frustrating and I do not want to input them all by hand separately. If I would have known I was not able to upload the file and have my guests RSVP online I would have done it the old fashion was and sent RSVP cards. Please someone help!!! Invitations are already printed with the site to RSVP on them!!!! Email me at shaunabell87@yahoo.com or on here thanks!!!!

• I'm having the same issues…I finally got the excel file to import by copying and pasting into a new workbook, but now I'm getting to the Preview, clicking Save and nothing saves! 0 guests imported.

Is there any way to fix this??
  • Those of you still having trouble might try the Tech board for assistance. GL.
  • skm313skm313 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    For this issue: "Everything looks great in the preview. I save and there is no error. There simply are no names. Any ideas?" the following worked for me:

I saved the doc as a .xls
    I made sure there was zero formatting in my guest names.  I selected a cell of the original template, and used the Format Painter button to copy that format to all my guest rows

The Knot's lack of help is pretty awful.  I wouldn't recommend this site to my friends getting married.
  • You MUST change the sheet name to "Sheet1".... The Knot is terrible. This is ridiculous to have to jump through so many hoops to something so simple. What a joke
  • I was having the same problem. I created a new workbook, copy and pasted the information into the new blank workbook and that worked. I was able to import the whole file. I think it has to do with formatting alterations that are being made while working in Excel. It's something the website has to look into though. oh and save it as a "excel 97-2003 template"
  • Still having issues with this. Tried everything on the boards. I'll contact someone when I can, but seriously. Not cool. 
  • Hi there, you need technical advice. Please post your question on the tech help board. Here's the link:

http://forums.theknot.com/categories/knottie-help

Still having issues with this. Tried everything on the boards. I'll contact someone when I can, but seriously. Not cool. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards