California-Los Angeles

Dinner while on honeymoon!

Hey LA knotties!!

I posted recently about where to stay when in California and we have booked a 1 bedroom house right near the beach in Marina Del Rey (booked on VRBO) thanks everybody for your suggestion and tips and we will def venture out to many of those places.

But now I need some more help, we are total foodies and I need some recommendations for great places to go eat in Marina Del Rey, Venice Beach, or Santa Monice. I would like 1 really nice meal but then I am open to all suggestions of just great restaurants. We love all food so please give us lots of ideas.

Thanks so much for your help, I can't wait to visit LA!!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Dinner while on honeymoon!

• edited December 2011
    I like The Lobster.. the food is great and you can take a walk on the pier and/or the popular 3rd street promenade.
    HTH :)
  • DodgersBrideDodgersBride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI and I went to Tony P's in Marina Del Rey for our first date. I loved it. You can sit outside and watch the sunset and boats(some have light decorations). It really nice outside and they have heaters in case it is cold. Dinner for us was about $60

We also had dinner at the Viceroy in Santa Monica. It was a bit pricey but it was delicious. The hotel is very nice so it's worth the trip just to see the hotel. Dinner was over $100 but so worth it to me. Also make reservations jic.
  • edited December 2011
    C&O's is a staple Italian restaurant in Venice.  There are two on Washington, but go to the one closest to the beach.  The garlic rolls there can't be beat!  And if you go at night, they pass out lyrics to "That's Amore," play it over the speakers, and everyone sings along.  It makes for a delicious and fun experience!  Now I want garlic rolls...yum!

I'm not as familiar with the area, but check out yelp.com too for reviews.
  • edited December 2011
    I love Joe's Restaurant in Venice. It's near the Abbott-Kinney area. We had a tasting menu and service was great when we were there! There's also a Pacific Dining Car in Santa Monica. i've only been to the original downtown, but it's a steak house.

And for a more casual dinner I highly suggest:
    Versailles (Cuban)
    El Cholo (Mexican)
    Border Grill (Modern Latin)

If you like craft beer, try Naja's Place in Redondo Beach.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mery- I am going El Cholo tomorrow. I want cheese enchiladas. Also FI went to Wurstkuche (you told me about a while back) for guys night. He said everyone liked it. He is supposed to take me there but I won't hold my breath.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_california-los-angeles_dinner-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:68Discussion:2f59b9ac-c7ec-46f2-a71d-bf385af8de5dPost:14d5268a-5b98-4e9e-ac76-2508dfdd58c4">Re: Dinner while on honeymoon!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Mery- I am going El Cholo tomorrow. I want cheese enchiladas. Also FI went to Wurstkuche (you told me about a while back) for guys night. He said everyone liked it. He is supposed to take me there but I won't hold my breath.
    Posted by DodgersBride[/QUOTE]

My coworker wants to go to Wurstkuche, but he lives in the valley, so it's a bit out of the way! I took a friend there a few weeks ago when we were already downtown. Love it!

I LOVE El Cholo. That and Loteria are my fave Mexican places. Do you go to the original one on Western? That's my favorite. I like the early California enchilada, table side guac, the green corn tamales and the LA Lemonade. Though the margs are great too.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Cafe Del Rey in Marina Del Rey is awesome! Also if you have a car and venture south along the beach you will end up in Manhattan Beach (about 5-6 miles, you can even get there on the bike path.) Cafe Pierre on Manhattan Beach Blvd, if you're a foodie you will LOVE it!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_california-los-angeles_dinner-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:68Discussion:2f59b9ac-c7ec-46f2-a71d-bf385af8de5dPost:c790ef07-610b-40e1-adeb-07052f22c054">Re: Dinner while on honeymoon!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dinner while on honeymoon! : My coworker wants to go to Wurstkuche, but he lives in the valley, so it's a bit out of the way! I took a friend there a few weeks ago when we were already downtown. Love it! I LOVE El Cholo. That and Loteria are my fave Mexican places. Do you go to the original one on Western? That's my favorite. I like the early California enchilada, table side guac, the green corn tamales and the LA Lemonade. Though the margs are great too.
    Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]

I went to the Loteria at the Farmer's Market. I had their chilaqules(sp). I've only been to the El Cholo in downtown. I believe it's fairly new location. I am going to try the one in Pasadena tonight, I haven't tried the Lemonade. I will have to tonight. I believe FI has been to the one on Western. 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_california-los-angeles_dinner-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:68Discussion:2f59b9ac-c7ec-46f2-a71d-bf385af8de5dPost:62389612-3d94-478b-8a8a-c46ad896c75d">Re: Dinner while on honeymoon!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dinner while on honeymoon! : I went to the Loteria at the Farmer's Market. I had their chilaqules(sp). I've only been to the El Cholo in downtown. I believe it's fairly new location. I am going to try the one in Pasadena tonight, I haven't tried the Lemonade. I will have to tonight. I believe FI has been to the one on Western. 
    Posted by DodgersBride[/QUOTE]

I used to go to the Loteria at the FM all the time. Now they have a huge restaurant on Hollywood Blvd that is really nice - and ALL their drinks are half priced during happy hour, which is 3-6 everyday, I think. I know they just opened one in Studio City, too.
    my read shelf:
    40/112

Photobucket
  • JuneMaggieJuneMaggie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love sushi roku in Santa Monica and I also love the Ivy down the street- those are more pricey- my favorite breakfast is The Griddle Cafe on Sunset in West Hollywood- there are so many good restaurants in all those areas- Gladstones for fish down PCH could be fun too- it is in Malibu but a pretty drive!
  • edited December 2011
    Father's Office in Santa Monica is a fun, upscale pub with great gourmet-style burgers and fries.  I don't know much else in the area, but I have a friend who used to live there, so I'll get back to you :-) 
    Learning to live and work from home: My blog
  • RoMy215RoMy215 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

You could easily eat your way through LA!!! So much good food!!! =)
    I think everyone has made some great suggestions...if you want to do something a little bit different one day/night...I'm not sure about the rest of the country, but in LA food trucks have really become such a trend. There are tons of them and there is just about any food you can imagine (Thai, Indian, BBQ, hot dogs, vegetarian friendly...there's a Grilled Cheese Truck and a lot of established restaurants and bakeries have trucks as well), and you can get some good food. Tuesday nights you can find several trucks gathered at The Victorian on Main St. So you can get food from the trucks and then grab a drink and find a seat (if you can) either outside on the patio, or somewhere inside. If you go to the back downstairs there's The Basement bar where they have music -- I think after 8pm. They have happy hour drink specials until 8pm. Parking can be a little hard to find, but it's not terrible. When you're done eating, you can take a walk down Main St or to the beach if it's nice out.
    Go to http://roaminghunger.com/la/vendorsor http://www.findlafoodtrucks.com/
    Happy planning!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards