Maine

How much should my flowers cost?

I just got a quote for my bouquet and it seems really pricey to me.  Since florists seem to keep their prices under wraps, I thought I'd see what other ladies in the area are paying.  Here's what I was quoted by a supposedly reasonable florist in Portland - I'm not using any out-of season or exotic flowers like orchids:

Bridal bouquet - $190
Bridesmaids - $90
Boutonnieres - $25
Courages - $20
Arrangements for Alter - $75
Tossing Bouquet (carnations) - $30

Thanks for the help!

August 28th, HERE I COME!

Re: How much should my flowers cost?

• edited December 2011
    That seems fairly reasonable for the Portland area but if you looked around you might find someone cheaper. I'm getting my flowers in Waterville and these are my prices:
    Brides bouquet: $150 (all sorts of different flowers)
    Bridesmaids: $40 (mostly gerbera daisies)
    Boutonnieres: $15
    Corsages: $20

I didn't get a price on a tossing bouquet and we are not having alter arrangements.
  • edited December 2011
    Bridesmaids - $90

Is that for all of them together or each one individually?

$190 for the bridal bouquet seems like a lot, but it's hard to tell unless knowing what types of flowers are in them especially because some lillies are $8.00 a stem.
  • edited December 2011
    It was $90 each for the bridesmaids.

The flowers that she quoted me fore were roses, hydrangia, delphinium, spider mums... nothing out-of season or exotic.  I told her I was more concerned with the colors than what flowers they used.  The only thing I requested special was daisies in my mother's corsage as they are her favorite. 

I'm not sure where I could cut back at this point.  Wish me luck as I meet with another florist to see what they can do!
  • edited December 2011
    I got my bouquet for $95 and bridesmaids bouquets for $45 each using a florist in Raymond. I am using mostly gerbera daisies and roses. Our bouts were $8 (a daisy and greenery).

It might depend on how complicated it all is. A single flower bout for $25 seems like a lot to me.

If you liked this person and didn't want to look around for someone else, you could ask her to suggest alternatives to bring the price down. My florist worked with me to shrink the price of my bouquet from $110 to $95 and the other bouquets from $60 to $45. That saved me almost $100. Tell her what you'd like to spend for each piece and ask her to suggest alternatives, keeping your colors in mind. Or ask her to shrink the size and use fewer flowers. A good florist should be able and happy to do this.

GL!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Personally, I think that is crazy.

Mine is 50. I am using stargazer lillys and white roses

My bridesmaids will have just lillys and theirs are 15 each.

Rose bouquets/bouts are 12

carnation bouts 6 dollar each.

I am going to a place in Biddeford and hear nothing but amazing things about it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I thought I was being safe when I budgeted $150 for my bouquet and 50 for each of the girls.  In fact, I figured I'd have money left over!  Maybe I need to look in Biddeford. 
    Smile
  • schadbourneschadbourne member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    what is the place in biddeford called? I live in saco and was/am going to look into artistry in bloom but biddeford is so close as well.
  • edited December 2011
    If you're willing to travel I'm using Julie Floyd in Lee, NH. She's self-employed, but extremely inexpensive. The GMs boutineers are like $8, my bouquet is around 100, and the girls are about 70.
  • mikell22mikell22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My flower are all being flown in from Hawaii, but they are all orchids and I think quite reasonable, shipping is expensive, but worth it for beautiful tropical arrangements!!

Bridal bouquet: $85

BM Bouquet: $60 each

Alter Arrangement:

$60 each

Orchid flower wedding arch:  $225

1000 loose orchide for aisle, scatered on tables and other decor: $190

Corsages and Boutineres: $15 each

So yours sounds pretty reasonable.

Mine are from Hawaii Wedding Flowers
  • edited December 2011
    Personally I think that $90 for each bridemaids bouquet is overpriced especially where you are keeping it really simple.  I only plan on spending $100.00 on mine and less than $50.00 each on all of my bridesmaids.  I would look around a bit more if you have the time to do so, or see if the florist can work with you to lower the price.
  • mlhw NHmlhw NH member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011

Another place to check is http://www.lyndseyloringdesign.com/index.html  She travels from Dover NH to Nashua so she may be willing to travel to the Portland area.  We are using her services and she has been wonderful.  She is highly reccomended on the NH board!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Wow!  Thanks for the suggestion.  I will definately see if they can do it. 
  • edited December 2011
    The place in Biddeford is Thom's Twin City Florist.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • schadbourneschadbourne member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • aallen54321aallen54321 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    harmons and bartons in Portland is really reasonable I would try there!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks, mlhw NH!  I am going with Lyndsey Loring Designs and getting everything that the other florist quoted me for - PLUS centerpieces for 8 tables for LESS than what the original floris quoted me - even considering the $100 delivery charge.  I am SO excited, and I'm super glad that I decided to post my question.  It's saving me a TON of money.
  • edited December 2011
    Awesome!! That's good news!
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards