Wedding Etiquette Forum

Only 3 bathroom breaks per week?

124»

Re: Only 3 bathroom breaks per week?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_only-3-bathroom-breaks-per-week?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a75ed647-854c-4e38-a13c-5a9b081e9788Post:cf229174-44a1-4499-98b1-b78ff6055c68">Re: Only 3 bathroom breaks per week?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Only 3 bathroom breaks per week? : ugh yes. and then if they don't get a chance to make up what was missed, they mess that part up on standardized testing and the teacher gets called to the mat for why that kid didn't do well. #viciouscycle
    Posted by whitsy[/QUOTE]

<div>Not only does the teacher get called out, their pay might change because of it.</div><div>
    </div>
  • "Oh, yes, to this as well. In a perfect world, it would only impact that one kid. In reality, it impacts the 27 other kids in the room whose attention has been broken or will be broken when the kid returns and asks for clarification or directions that were already given." I was always one if those kids that got so easily distracted when kids left and came back. It broke my concentration and shifted my focus. By the time I regrouped, the teacher would have moved on to something else and I was lost. In a class of 20, if every kid and teacher leaves to use the bathroom or wander the corridors, that'll be 40 times I'm being distracted.
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_only-3-bathroom-breaks-per-week?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a75ed647-854c-4e38-a13c-5a9b081e9788Post:70fc3676-aa67-4660-8236-1b3600d0fa4b">Re: Only 3 bathroom breaks per week?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Only 3 bathroom breaks per week? : Not only does the teacher get called out, their pay might change because of it.
    Posted by teachermegs[/QUOTE]

Yeah, our governor is pushing for merit pay in TN. We already do the Race to the Top mess so I have sinking feeling that's coming.
  • I don't even want to get into what they are already doing down here with our pay and test scores.

• Our governor is an idiot, megs.  My consolation is that I didn't vote for him.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_only-3-bathroom-breaks-per-week?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a75ed647-854c-4e38-a13c-5a9b081e9788Post:adf4e75b-23bb-4fdd-a5aa-92b96a2b113e">Re: Only 3 bathroom breaks per week?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't even want to get into what they are already doing down here with our pay and test scores.
    Posted by teachermegs[/QUOTE]

I hate that for y'all, so much. I subscribe to several teaching newsletter, so I've kinda been trying to stay on top of it, since we are doing the same race to the top y'all are. I feel like it's kinda of an, "If FL does it, we'll try it next" sorta scheme.
  • I actually did have a legitimate medical issue where I had to have free access to the bathroom. In middle school, they instituted passes. So in the cafeteria, only 2 people could go use the bathroom at once. I didn't need a pass because of my issue. It was fine.

In high school we had 4 minutes between classes. I rarely if ever had to leave class (40 minutes) to use the bathroom.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • I had a professor last semester who wouldn't let anyone leave the lecture hall to use the bathroom.  She would literally stop lecturing and GLARE at the back of your head while you walked out, and then she would throw her hands up in the air and sigh.  Sometimes she would yell at you as you left and sometimes she would wait for you to come back before stopping to make an announcement about "CLASSROOM POLICIES!!!"

She was fun.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_only-3-bathroom-breaks-per-week?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a75ed647-854c-4e38-a13c-5a9b081e9788Post:d9c66695-bfe8-4108-abc1-cf19739351bd">Re: Only 3 bathroom breaks per week?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Our governor is an idiot, megs.  My consolation is that I didn't vote for him.
    Posted by mica178[/QUOTE]
    I didn't either. <div>I just wish people would listen to what teachers have to say about what is going on. </div><div>
    </div><div>As for going to the restroom, my students go when they need to. I send them during the day in small groups and if they need to go again, it isn't an issue. </div><div>
    </div>
  • edited January 2012
    Totally would not work for me. I have interstital colitis, so I go alot evn when medicated.
  • My governor is a douchenozzle.

Chrissy, I hear what you're saying.  The system here is that school rules transcend individual rights in order to maintain a safe environment. So that's how things like this get put into practice--if it helps to maintain peace and safety, that's looked at as more important than your individual right to go to the bathroom (it sounds funny/sarcastic when I type it out, but I meant it genuinely :P)
  • The whole "they can go during passing time" thing is bullshiit. The girls bathroom would always be full and a line out the door during passing time. Sometimes it took the whole 5 min of passing time just to walk to class in hallways that were completely crowded from wall to wall and you had to pretty much just shuffle the whole way there. If I COULD get to class in a minute, there is no way I'd be able to go BACK out, get to the bathroom and hope to finish my business before the bell rang. Unless you were RIGHT by the bathroom once you left your classroom when passing time began, bathroom time was pretty pointless.

We had bathrooms in our classrooms until like 5th grade, so elementary school wasn't really an issue here. 
  • My middle school were all about breaking kids of that freedom feeling.

During lunch hours, you were reprimanded if you were caught inside the school to go to the bathroom. If it was a 'wet playtime', you were confined to your classroom.

When I first started my period, I was too goody two shoes and all that good stuff. I also had hella cramps, upset stomachs, sickness. I was too shy and quiet to ask, to a couple embarrassing incidents.

This control wasn't just with bathroom breaks. Low income families had 'discs' for lunch (meals paid for). I once saw the vice-principal full on screaming at a kid in the playground because he didn't want his dinner. Everything I went through with my periods, I barely ate for that week and a half. Scared me shiitless that I might be yelled at like that so I often 'lost' my disc.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_only-3-bathroom-breaks-per-week?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a75ed647-854c-4e38-a13c-5a9b081e9788Post:34c52a4b-3978-4d84-accc-949751933dbe">Re: Only 3 bathroom breaks per week?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>The whole "they can go during passing time" thing is bullshiit</strong>. The girls bathroom would always be full and a line out the door during passing time. Sometimes it took the whole 5 min of passing time just to walk to class in hallways that were completely crowded from wall to wall and you had to pretty much just shuffle the whole way there. If I COULD get to class in a minute, there is no way I'd be able to go BACK out, get to the bathroom and hope to finish my business before the bell rang. Unless you were RIGHT by the bathroom once you left your classroom when passing time began, bathroom time was pretty pointless. We had bathrooms in our classrooms until like 5th grade, so elementary school wasn't really an issue here. 
    Posted by musicalsunlight[/QUOTE]
    I disgree. Maybe in your school, but in my HS and the HS I teach in, there's never once been a line to use the bathroom. Even when they limited the bathrooms because kids were writing bomb threats.

I think it comes down to what we said--teachers need to be trusted to find a compromise that works for kids and instruction, kwim?
  • Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited January 2012
    " So basically any other arguement of distracting others or vandalism or whatever is not greater than someone's human rights, IMO." The thing is, I have a right to an education, as a young student. If my right is being disrupted by their right, then there is a conflict. The fact that the bathrooms are far and the lines are too long shouldnt be effecting my ability to learn. Basically, it's a problem the school needs to solve so classes arent being disrupted. Regulating someones bathroom time isn't inhumane as long as their needs are met. You can't always choose when you can go, that's life. Same as eating or sleeping. Again, no one should have to hold it in for long period of time, but I don't have a problem with some regulation that works best for that particular class.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_only-3-bathroom-breaks-per-week?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a75ed647-854c-4e38-a13c-5a9b081e9788Post:0953e3a1-7360-4ba3-b515-49531e7bbf42">Re: Only 3 bathroom breaks per week?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I get that Nates.  And in many cases, the good for the greatest number of people is better than the good for an individual.  But as long as no one is getting hurt, I don't see a reason to regulate personal rights.  And in my mind, distracting others isn't one of those things.  Vandalism to property is closer to that, but that is why there is a court system and <strong>insurance</strong>.
    Posted by crfb87[/QUOTE]

Yeah, funny thing about that.  Our district, due to budget crunches, had to up their deductibles to $100k.  So, when four little douchsticks did $50k worth of damage to our building all in the name of trying to prank a staff member, we ate it.  Sure the kids were arrested and went to jail but we didn't see a dime of that.  And, what about when that vandalism prevents others from taking care of their biological needs?  Closed bathrooms kind of mean that that doesn't happen.
  • I pee at least twice sometimes 3 times an HOUR. (small bladder) so that wouldn't fly with me. Honestly I'd be upset if a teacher told my child he couldn't go use the restroom because he went 3 times THAT WEEK already.

When I was in 5th grade the teacher refused to let a girl go to the restroom because "she went too often" and the poor girl peed her pants.

That same teacher did the same thing to me. She refused to believe I peed more than once every 5 hours and actually went into the bathroom with me "to listen". When she didn't hear enough she made stand in the corner and called my mom to say I was a "nusiance" to the class. Mom took me to the docs...turned out I had a bladder infection and a UTI so I did HAVE to go.

That teacher later became a step-aunt. I still hate her to this day...17 years later.
  • I'm astonished by the number of people who support this rule. If there are problems in the restrooms, then the school needs to hire staff to supervise the restrooms.

I've worked with several day camp/childcare-programs, and all of them specified that denying a child the use of the restroom constituted child abuse and was a fireable offense.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards