Wedding Reception Forum

Sorority Sisters

Is anyone doing anything for your sorority sisters?

Re: Sorority Sisters

• I'd invite them and seat them together (with their dates), but other than that I wouldn't do anything else unless you've made some of them WP members.  Then you would give the ones in the WP a gift.  It's just not really appropriate to single out any set of guests for extra special treatment (additional favor, better favor, different centerpiece, etc.) unless they're in the WP. 

Although you could dedicate a song that you think they'd like to them. 
  • Just invite them as guests. Don't do anything special for them.  Mine were seated at the same table so they could chat.  It's not polite to single out some guests as more "special" than others.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I was in a sorority, and I cringe when people do sorority-type things at their weddings. It just seems exclusive and tacky.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_sorority-sisters?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:d4048713-dc3e-443b-9a6c-4cdba67b738bPost:59643271-d03c-45c3-a578-c98b57333967">Re: Sorority Sisters</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was in a sorority, and I cringe when people do sorority-type things at their weddings. It just seems exclusive and tacky.
    Posted by cwaggoner07[/QUOTE]

I agree. I love my sorority sisters and many of them are my good friends but we're not in college anymore. Doing sorority things now is dumb.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I agree, if you want to do something with them, maybe have the dj play a song from when you were all in college together. He doesn't have to announce it or anything, but you can still have your moment with your girls, but without making into a huge deal.

My cousin wasn't in a frat, but he had a big crew of guys he hung with in high school. Between graduation and when he got married, he didn't stay as close with some as he was with others so some were in the WP and the rest were invited. At one point during the reception, the dj started playing some song that was apparently very popular when they were in school, and they all got in the middle of the dance floor, sat down and simulated rowing a boat around the floor. Apparently, every time that song came on at a dance or a party, this is what they would do. My cousin said he wanted the dj to play the song, but the "dance" wasn't planned. Everyone ended up having the same idea at the same time. It was a great moment, and 14 years after the wedding, we still laugh about it when we see the picture.
  • RunDogRunDog member
    First Comment

It's a tradition for us to sing our ring pass song at weddings. The bride sits on a chair and any girls in the sorority link arms and sing around here. My friends say I have to do it, but it feels creepy, haha. Guests are going to be like what the eff? Does anyone else do this?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was just gonna do a flower or something. but I guess I wont.
  • At the weddings I have been to the bride usually takes extra pics with the photographer after the ceremony with her sorority sisters and the groom takes extra pics with his fraternity brothers.  Other than that, no special treatment.
  • pkontkpkontk member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_sorority-sisters?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:d4048713-dc3e-443b-9a6c-4cdba67b738bPost:69042b0b-8bf8-4487-957f-dad7ef862a6d">Re: Sorority Sisters</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's a tradition for us to sing our ring pass song at weddings. The bride sits on a chair and any girls in the sorority link arms and sing around here. My friends say I have to do it, but it feels creepy, haha. Guests are going to be like what the eff? Does anyone else do this?
    Posted by vscrivano23[/QUOTE]

It might be a little awkward to do in front of guests - is there a time before the wedding where you can do that privately with them?
  • RunDogRunDog member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_sorority-sisters?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:d4048713-dc3e-443b-9a6c-4cdba67b738bPost:b38512c4-98c8-457e-ab65-c434cb6045ac">Re: Sorority Sisters</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sorority Sisters :   It might be a little awkward to do in front of guests - is there a time before the wedding where you can do that privately with them?
    Posted by pkontk[/QUOTE]

I'll probably just nix the creepy sorority song. It creates a huge lag during the wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_sorority-sisters?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:d4048713-dc3e-443b-9a6c-4cdba67b738bPost:b38512c4-98c8-457e-ab65-c434cb6045ac">Re: Sorority Sisters</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sorority Sisters :   It might be a little awkward to do in front of guests - is there a time before the wedding where you can do that privately with them?
    Posted by pkontk[/QUOTE]

Agree.
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards