South Carolina-Charleston

Old Wide Awake Plantation

Does anyone have any thoughts on Old Wide Awake Plantation for a fall 2013 wedding? I was ( and still sadly am) interested in Boone Hall Plantation in Mount Pleasant but due to their limited availability I'm looking at a few other similar locations. Thanks for your help!

Re: Old Wide Awake Plantation

• I have never heard of it myself. But looking at their website, it is beautiful! If they have availability and meet your budget I dont see how you could go wrong.

Maybe some of the other girls here have more detail on this plantation.

We were married at Middleton Place in May of 2010. They are great to work with and the plantation is beautiful.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I was considering Old Wide Awake Plantation for my Venue. Reese Witherspoon was married at this plantation when it was on the Stono River. I went to look at the house and was very disappointed. The family actually sold the property & moved the house so it is no longer on the river. The picture on the website is deceiving because it shows the house on the river and now there is a pond in the yard. The House itself is ok and has big yard that you can use as well as lots of parking. I would definitely go look at it and if you are still interested ask for a lower rate ( He will come down ). I asked before I visited and he was easy to work with . I decided to get married at Tidewater Chapel in MT Pleasant.
  • In Response to <a href="http://charleston.weddings.com/Sites/weddings/Pages/main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-carolina-charleston_old-wide-awake-plantation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:600Discussion:fd4ff6b9-80c4-4b88-9e09-b02f0f4476d0Post:eac08244-2b41-4c30-882b-23b77bf7cabe">Old Wide Awake Plantation</a>:
    [QUOTE]Does anyone have any thoughts on Old Wide Awake Plantation for a fall 2013 wedding? I was ( and still sadly am) interested in Boone Hall Plantation in Mount Pleasant but due to their limited availability I'm looking at a few other similar locations. Thanks for your help!
    Posted by caseynm13[/QUOTE]

Old Wide Awake Plantation is very unique. It's been a while since we've done a wedding there, but it was gorgeous. Don't hesitate in booking it if Boone Hall falls thru. It is well worth the drive to get to this hidden treasure!
    <a href="http://www.charlestonweddingphotographers.com" rel="nofollow">http://www.charlestonweddingphotographers.com</a>
  • We have rented Wide Awake PARK for our October 2012 wedding...beautiful and extremely affordable...only $600 for the day!!! It is the property on Stono river that the house at Old Wide Awake Plantation use to sit on!  Not many ppl know, but you can rent it out for the day through the town of hollywood (just google and it'll come up).  

Downside, unless you find a wedding coordinator to do the work....you are doing all the organization yourself.  For me that was an upside, to got to do what we wanted!  There is a barn with lovely ivy overgrown on it, that can be used as back up if bad weather (hopefully not!) and the restrooms are inside.  There are several outlets for electricity through out the park too.  

I'll probably post a review in November after the wedding!  
  • We have rented Old Wide Awake Park and Plantation for our May 2013 wedding. Ceremony will be at the park and the reception at the house. I absolutely fell in love with the property when we went to see it. Things to consider: you will most likely want a tent for your dance floor area since the bar is on the lowest level of the house. If you wanted the park for the ceremony it is a separate fee. The wrap around porch is beautiful and the property is well taken care of. They are also very easy to work with and they have a wedding coordinator that will take care of everything the day of so you can enjoy yourself. If you haven't decided yet I would definitely consider this venue and check it out.
  • Just a note on the plantation, I was interested in it as well but didn't have good luck in communicating with the planner there, we were always playing phone tag and when I came in from out of town to look at it, she told me she couldnt show it, so I backed out. I am just renting the Park for the day and am going to have my ceremony and reception there. Both are very nice peices of property, however I personally really love how the park is right on the water! I can't wait till my wedding in September its going to be so beautiful!!!:)
  • Just a note on the plantation, I was interested in it as well but didn't have good luck in communicating with the planner there, we were always playing phone tag and when I came in from out of town to look at it, she told me she couldnt show it, so I backed out. I am just renting the Park for the day and am going to have my ceremony and reception there. Both are very nice peices of property, however I personally really love how the park is right on the water! I can't wait till my wedding in September its going to be so beautiful!!!:)
  • Thank you all for your words of advice! We went ahead and decided to book Old Wide Awake plantation without the park. We'll be married there in October of 2013 and are having our reception there as well. Im sorry for anyone who has had a bad experience there previously! Thus far, I havent run into any issues and am In love with the coordinator there! Ill keep everyone posted:)
  • Good Luck cateyes5. We just had our wedding (ceremony and reception) at wide awak park on October 20 and it was beautiful!!!!!  I'm waiting on pictures to write about our venue but I couldn't have been more happy with how everything turned out!
  • caseynm13caseynm13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2012
    had you opted to get a tent? What is your guest count? I am having such a difficult time deciding on whether or not we need a tent. Our guest count is pretty large withover 150 guests and I worry about not using one. thanks!
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-carolina-charleston_old-wide-awake-plantation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:600Discussion:fd4ff6b9-80c4-4b88-9e09-b02f0f4476d0Post:034fa82e-a5a6-4a0e-913b-8b9f15ada22b">Re: Old Wide Awake Plantation</a>:
    [QUOTE]We have rented Old Wide Awake Park and Plantation for our May 2013 wedding. Ceremony will be at the park and the reception at the house. I absolutely fell in love with the property when we went to see it. Things to consider: you will most likely want a tent for your dance floor area since the bar is on the lowest level of the house. If you wanted the park for the ceremony it is a separate fee. The wrap around porch is beautiful and the property is well taken care of. They are also very easy to work with and they have a wedding coordinator that will take care of everything the day of so you can enjoy yourself. If you haven't decided yet I would definitely consider this venue and check it out.
    Posted by Nikkibride113[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards