Wedding Recap and Withdrawal
Options

How to start changing your name?

I am a little lost on where to even begin on changing my name legally now that we are married. We got certified copies of the certificate and our application but now I don't know what to do with them! Should I buy one of the name change kits or can I swing it on my own? And does anyone know the order to change your name? Help please! Thanks

Re: How to start changing your name?

• Options
    Those name change kits are really a waste of time.

The first place you need to go is the Social Security office to change your SS card.  Go on their website to see what you need to bring with you.

Then, you'll go do your driver's license.  How long you have to wait between changing your SS card and your DL depends on the state.  I had to wait 48 hour in between, but some states don't require you to wait at all.

Then, you can start changing everything else.  Those are the two main things you need to get done though.
  • Options
    I live in Michigan and on Tuesday once my husband and I got back from our mini-weekend honeymoon we changed in one afternoon my SS card, my DL, and updated all of our bank info to be joint (including ordering checks, debit cards etc.).

I just called up the few utilities that are in my name and they updated those right over the phone for me, the one credit card I have they updated immeditately and sent me a new card within 24 hours at no charge, the only thing we're running into a small issue with is all of our insurance (auto life etc) and that's just do to the agent being out of the office.  Depending on how quickly you plow through things you could have everything changed within a week at the most. 

Hope that helps :)
    Off Ortho Evra Birth Control Patch-Feb. 2011 Began TTC March 2011 8/30/11- U/S results normal,structural appearance normal, possibly partial sub-septate uterus???? Sept 2011 CD 20 Check- Progesterone normal/indicates ovulation at a 12 9/14/11 CD 3 blood work- Estrogen Normal-35 FSH levels-5.9 9/30/2011- S/A- Results GOOD October 2011 10/7/2011- Surprise BFP!!!!!!!! 10/12/2011- MC Confirmed CP at roughly 4wks 2 days EDD:6/18/2012 Our 2 yr. Anniversary 10/13/2011- Follow up consult with OB and lay out a treatment plan 10/20/11 MRI with/without contrast uterus labeled as Arcuate uterine abnormality, small cyst detected on left ovary. End October 2011- Fired Original OB/switched and interviewed several practices with new OB and Love her! 12/02/11- HSG uterus looks perfect with no abnormalities detected and tubes clear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! this is a big help!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards