Catholic Weddings

Confession before marriage?

I was baptized just 2 years ago through the RCIA, and am having a Catholic wedding in a month.  FI is not Catholic (this isn't important but just thought I'd include it...).  I have never gone to confession.  With baptism, all of my really good sins were washed away, so I haven't really had anything pressing to confess.
I thought it would be a good idea to go to confession before I'm married, just to start with a clean slate before I receive another sacrament.  I'm just nervous because I never have before, and I don't really know what to expect.  Is there anyone else who's planning to go to confession one last time before getting married?
Thanks...and be gentle :)

Re: Confession before marriage?

• edited December 2011
    Congrats on the upcoming wedding. I also went through RCIA a few years ago and they encouraged us to go to confession since it is one of the sacraments. I was a bit intimidated at first as well, but just remember priests have heard and seen it all. And everything you tell them has to remain confidential.

Here is a website that may help you as you prepare: http://www.scborromeo.org/confess.htm

Just be yourself. Regardless if you think you don't have anything major to confess, there is always something that you can think of it. It will help you start your marriage off fresh and clean. Both H and I went to confession a few days before our wedding.
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    yes, you really should go to confession before your wedding, so as to prepare yourself to receive the sacrament.   our priest heard confessions right after our rehearsal the night before.

also, as an FYI, all Catholics are obligated to confess their sins at least once a year, and at least once during hte season of Lent (many use the once during lent to fulfill the once a year obligation)  Ideally, you should confess anytime you have mortal sin on your soul prior to receiving communion, but you can certainly confess more often as it is a sacrament - why wouldnt you want to receive sacraments as often as possible?

its really not that bad.  remember, there is nothing you can tell him that he hasnt heard before.
  • edited December 2011
    This is interesting to me because I thought you had to go to confession before getting married. I guess it depends on the parrish.
  • agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    2nd on the confession more than once a year.

Canon law:

Can.  1065

§2. To receive the sacrament of marriage fruitfully, spouses are urged especially to approach the sacraments of penance and of the Most Holy Eucharist.

• edited December 2011
    Good to know. Thank you!
  • edited December 2011
    Confession/Reconciliation is on our pre-marital "checklist" from our parish, and I plan on going a day or two before the wedding. I haven't talked to fi about this, but since he is much better about going to confession than I am, I am sure he will want to go as well. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Several of my friends had included confession in the 1/2 hour before the wedding began. I think its a great thing because it put one in a prayerful state of mind, and you receive 3 sacraments all within a couple hours of each other. The grace just flows!

These are also people that go to confession no less than every 4-6 weeks or so, so its not like they waited to unload a lifetime of sins.

• edited December 2011
    Thank you!  I didn't know about the once a year thing, that is certainly good to know.  I will go the Saturday before, I think.  I'm all about being in a good and prayerful state of mind before I'm married- why not?  Thanks again everyone :)
  • clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_confession-before-marriage?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:93cc0f09-2881-4f23-b4af-80fc1e20255dPost:113255cf-0432-4022-82c2-aa2822110dfb">Re: Confession before marriage?</a>:
    [QUOTE]2nd on the confession more than once a year. Canon law: Can.  1065 §2. To receive the sacrament of marriage fruitfully, spouses are urged especially to approach the sacraments of penance and of the Most Holy Eucharist.
    Posted by agapecarrie[/QUOTE]

<div>Spot on.</div><div>
    </div><div>You're not supposed to wait until you have a laundry list of sins to confess.  Confession is an examination of conscience.  While you are only required to go once a year, you should literally go as often as possible.</div><div>
    </div><div>My grandpa, who is 90 years of age, confesses every few weeks.  But he's basically bed ridden.  All of us believe he mainly discusses with the priest how he can be an even better person in terms of character development.  Confession is a powerful way for human heart to develop and mimic itself as close as possible to Christ's heart.</div>
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Thank you!  I didn't know about the once a year thing, that is certainly good to know. 

sadly, for some reason, it seems confession (penance, reconciliation) is not talked abotu in churches these days except during Lent.  IMO, it really should be encouraged and pushed.  in more conservative parishes priests will try to slip in a plug for it in a sermon if they are preaching on something related to sin, but it seems pretty rare.  tehn, tehy fire up and talk about it weekly during Lent.   a shame, really.
  • edited December 2011
    It really makes you feel so much better.  I think it will be a beautiful feeling to walk to the altar with a clear conscience to take my wedding vows.  I plan to attend a morning mass the day before and go to confession that day as well.
    We're going to second-line into the New Year! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards