Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

is plastic glasses ok or tacky?

I'm having a sit down/'full service meal.  As part of it, I added water goblet (50 cent rental plus 50 cent delivery per person) to go along with the dinner that is on china and sterling silverware.

the bartender is using plastic glasses. I'm ok with that for beer and mixers.  I'm a bit more 'snobby' on it for wine, but....

I'd like to add a champage toast.  After talking to the caterer it would another $1/person plus a corking fee if we used them.  However, we can put our own bottles on the tables, and buy glasses to keep the price down.

Would it be tacky to use the disposable champgane flutes?  I won't use those cheap little -piece cups, but the more sturdy types.   

Re: is plastic glasses ok or tacky?

• edited December 2011
    I think this depends on your budget, how many guests you have, the formality of your wedding, and what type of plastic you are talking about. If you really are going to break the budget with the glass rental than purchase nice plastic from a place like smarty had a party but for a $1 per person I cannot imagine you finding them for much less.

A pkg of 12 is $8.50 from smarty had a party then you have to pay shipping, so right there you are at .84 pr person without the shipping. I say go for the glass rental if you are going to have to buy the plastic, it'll probably work out to be almost the same cost either way.
    I'm a Mrs & My Honeymoon Memory
    imageimage
    Wedding Items For Sale
  • soozy87soozy87 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow, that is a lot, to me anyway. Can you pick up the water glasses from the rental place to avoid the delivery fee? Maybe that way you can get 2 types of glasses.
    ~May 21,2011~
  • kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I'd skip the champaign toast and have your guests toast with whatever they are drinking.  A lot of people don't even like it and I think they just aren't worth the money.  A toast is a toast, champaign doesn't make it any more special.  Save that money and put it towards something else.
  • kbn22273kbn22273 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_plastic-glasses-ok-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:da8eb844-3b7c-4074-84bb-0d05d0953cd0Post:5f76f18e-9464-4d45-ac83-1df97382250e">Re: is plastic glasses ok or tacky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow, that is a lot, to me anyway. <strong>Can you pick up the water glasses from the rental place to avoid the delivery fee</strong>? Maybe that way you can get 2 types of glasses.
    Posted by soozy87[/QUOTE]

Sorry...it's "delivering to the table" (aka setting them on the table) fee.  nice huh :/
  • soozy87soozy87 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh....wow....that is lame...
    Can you/the reception venue set them up without being charged? Or is there no way around that?
    ~May 21,2011~
  • kbn22273kbn22273 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_plastic-glasses-ok-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:da8eb844-3b7c-4074-84bb-0d05d0953cd0Post:a335f51d-1e2b-4e07-a71f-0ed68ae0a13e">Re: is plastic glasses ok or tacky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh....wow....that is lame... Can you/the reception venue set them up without being charged? Or is there no way around that?
    Posted by soozy87[/QUOTE]

i asked.  it's "included" in the rental.  the only way to get around it is to not rent the glasses.
  • tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd do a toast with whatever is in your guests' hands.  For our wedding, I insisted that the champagne be poured immediately before it was handed to each guest just before the toast.  Most of the time caterers will pour it 30 - 45 minutes ahead of time.  By the time you get to the toast, the champagne is flat and disgusting.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • harpsdesireharpsdesire member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You know, if you find the right place (Dollar store, clearance, Christmas Tree Shop, resurant supply place), you might be able to buy glass glasses for a dollar or less each.
  • edited December 2011
    Look at Sam's Club they have like 1000 clear plastic cups for about 80 dollars. 
  • Abby10101Abby10101 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I recently tried this fabulous new cranberry garnish! Stunning in champagne! Sweet & delicious! Impress your guests by serving something beautiful and elegant! Beautiful red color! Will look great in any Glass! 

visit http://loungeattire.com/drink/ for more information

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards