Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Apologies to friends who aren't invited?

I'm close to 'finalizing' a guest list, and I'm freaking out--I'm part of a very large theater company, and not all of the company will be getting an invite (due to cost, and because frankly, I'm closer to some members than others).  But I know it might get very awkward if people start talking.  Should I make some kind of public disclaimer on our company forum apologizing to people who don't make the cut?  There's another company wedding happening this May and I'm pretty sure I'm not on the invite list, and frankly, I feel super weird everytime another company member brings it up.  I think I'd feel more comfortable if the couple had made an announcement about a smaller guest list or something.  Is this a faux pas?  If I do it, what should it say?

Re: Apologies to friends who aren't invited?

• Options
    No no no. You do not tell people they aren't invited, that's horribly rude. They'll figure it out on their own. Lots of people get married, and lots of people can't invite everyone they want for whatever reason. 

If someone asks you directly, you can say something like "Unfortunately we couldn't invite everyone we wanted to be there. Have you done anything fun this winter?" and change the subject. 
  • Options
    This isn't like posting a cast list. If someone asks, the best thing to do is say something like 'We've chosen a small venue and cannot accomodate everyone that we would love to'. It's always better to blame it on the venue rather than budget, etc.

It is a faux pas, basically. 
    my blog - for the love of ein
    'Next time, just fart.' - BriSox81
  • Options
    Definitely do not make an announcement. It is totally a faux pas to draw attention to those who are not being invited. Just don't talk about your wedding at work.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
  • Options
    Say nothing up front. If people are rude enough to question or say, "I'm invited, right?" just tell them you are not able to invite everyone you would like. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    The main reason is because of how HORRIBLY awkward and uncomfortable I feel whenever people bring up the other wedding (particularly since I'm an executive of the company and everyone assumes I have been invited).
  • Options
    Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited March 2013
    Yes, it's a faux pas to break news like that to anyone who doesn't bring it up first. If they ask if they're invited, that's rude on their part. It's okay to let them know that you weren't able to invite everyone you wanted to. But it's not okay to make a preemptive speech on it. It's pre sumptuous.
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Apologies to friends who aren't invited?:[QUOTE]The main reason is because of how HORRIBLY awkward and uncomfortable I feel whenever people bring up the other wedding particularly since I'm an executive of the company and everyone assumes I have been invited. Posted by mcjabber[/QUOTE]

Just to get on the same page as you... you feel awkward when other people assume you are invited to a wedding, so telling everyone that you're only inviting some people to your wedding will make it less awkward for you.
    Did I get that right?
  • Options
    Oh no. Please don't do this. To me, it seems incredibly self-centered, as if the bride imagines everyone is just dying to find out whether they are invited or not. No one is as interested in your wedding as you are. I like the previous analogy of posting a cast list.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_apologies-to-friends-who-arent-invited?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:849b9ea0-5c73-4ee1-aa1a-68e71ede6297Post:e2ffcf04-8d9e-437f-8c4d-b7148c9adff3">Re: Apologies to friends who aren't invited?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The main reason is because of how HORRIBLY awkward and uncomfortable I feel whenever people bring up the other wedding (particularly since I'm an executive of the company and everyone assumes I have been invited).
    Posted by mcjabber[/QUOTE]

<div>You can choose not to feel awkward. You know you're not invited, when people start talking about it you have a few options: 1) Walk away; 2) Change the subject; 3) Listen politely and then change the subject. </div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
  • Options
    I suppose this is what I expected people to say.  However, it's my attempt to NOT be selfish, to save people from the embarrassment that I have when I'm asked for details about the other wedding and I have to tell them that I'm not  involved with that one (and then they are embarrassed for asking, despite how diplomatic I am in my response).  I know that I'd feel more comfortable if the elephant in the room had been already addressed.  

I guess there's no way around some awkwardness no matter what.  The consensus seems to be that the uninvited will just have to deal with it.
  • Options
    People should have more common sense than to discuss an event in which not everyone is invited. That's a bad on your co-workers' part though.

To avoid that situation with your own wedding, if people bring up your wedding at work (whether they are invited or not) try to steer them away from it. In private you could also mention to the invited guest{s) that you'd prefer not to speak about the wedding at work. Now... if your guests still go and talk about your wedding when you're not around, there's nothing you can really do about that. But that's kinda bad on them if they're insensitive enough to rub in their plans in front of people who aren't invited.
  • Options
    OP, you said originally that's youre "pretty sure" you're not on the invite list. What if that couple is planning to invite you? Have invites gone out yet for you to know for sure?

I'm not sure why people are asking you questions about someone else's wedding in the first place. If they ask again, why don't you just direct them to the bride or groom? "Oh, sorry, I'm not sure. You should ask [the bride]." 
  • Options
    Do you think your announcement will stop people from talking about your wedding in front if those who aren't invited? It won't. In fact, people are now ALSO going to discuss who you meant when you said not everyone will be invited.
  • Options
    Don't make an announcement.  The uninvited members of your theater company are going to hear about the wedding anyway.  An announcement would just rub in their not being invited.
  • Options
    If I heard an announcement like that at my work, my first question would be, "Oooh, who didn't get invited?"  I probably wouldn't care until an announcement like that was made.
    "I give you this ring as a symbol of my vow, and with all that I am, and all that I have, I honor you."image
    July 12, 2013
  • Options
    QueerFemmeQueerFemme member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2013

Honestly, conversations like this don't have to be awkward or uncomfortable.  Just put on your grown up panties and be honest.  Communication is an acquired skill for a lot of people. 

You don't have the space or budget for everyone.  Neither does anyone else.  If someone assumes YOU are invited to another person's wedding, that doesn't have to be uncomfortable or embarrassing either. You are making a big deal out of nothing.  You respond with "Oh, I'm not sure.  You may want to ask her directly". 

For your own wedding, when people bring it up, you say "our venue is quite small and we aren't able to invite everyone we would have hoped to.  I hope you understand".  End of discussion.  

If YOU don't make a big deal and act all butt-hurt when either of these scenarios occur, everyone else will think it's no big deal either. Cuz, guess what?  It's really not a big deal.

• Options
    Out of curiosity, would it be okay for the OP to mention to those she IS inviting that she wasn't able to include everyone so she'd like to minimize work chatter? I was planning to handle it that way with the people from one of my jobs.
  • Options
    Everyone has covered it, just wanted to chime in and say I feel you on the awkwardness. I grew up at a school that REQUIRED all kids be invited to each birthday so no one was left out, so I feel very bad when I cannot accomodate those rules as an adult. Too bad none of us are kids anymore! ;)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_apologies-to-friends-who-arent-invited?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:849b9ea0-5c73-4ee1-aa1a-68e71ede6297Post:1ed3007e-e94a-44f9-acc4-6a8cb258cde4">Re:Apologies to friends who aren't invited?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Out of curiosity, would it be okay for the OP to mention to those she IS inviting that she wasn't able to include everyone so she'd like to minimize work chatter? I was planning to handle it that way with the people from one of my jobs.
    Posted by Xstatic3333[/QUOTE]

<div>If people at work are already chatting about the wedding, you are okay to take them aside and ask them not to bring up the topic. I'm not sure I'd do that if no one is talking about it yet- your mention might *cause* them to talk about it, KWIM?</div>
  • Options
    Gotcha, good point.
  • Options
    This reminds me of that woman who wanted to hang a sign up sheet in her break room at work for the wedding. I wonder how that turned out. 

Btw OP don't do that. 
    158 Invited image | 68 will be there image |6 can't make it image | 84 still need to reply! image
    RSVP Deadline: 4/6/13
    4/26/13 March Siggy Challenge: Bridesmaid Dresses

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_apologies-to-friends-who-arent-invited?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:849b9ea0-5c73-4ee1-aa1a-68e71ede6297Post:4b3a1b66-143a-4a7c-a0fd-e81cd0615f9c">Apologies to friends who aren't invited?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm close to 'finalizing' a guest list, and I'm freaking out--I'm part of a very large theater company, and not all of the company will be getting an invite (due to cost, and because frankly, I'm closer to some members than others).  But I know it might get very awkward if people start talking.  Should I make some kind of public disclaimer on our company forum apologizing to people who don't make the cut?  There's another company wedding happening this May and I'm pretty sure I'm not on the invite list, and frankly, I feel super weird everytime another company member brings it up.  I think I'd feel more comfortable if the couple had made an announcement about a smaller guest list or something.  Is this a faux pas?  If I do it, what should it say?

Please don't do this.

A friend/coworker of mine got married almost two years ago. I, along with a small group of other coworkers were invited. One of us threw her a "work bachelorette party" at a local restaurant. People would bring up the wedding, she'd answer the quesion, and then apologize to those who weren't invited each time. I felt uncomfortable and embarrassed for her each time. It was just awkward. She was making a bigger deal out of it than it was.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_apologies-to-friends-who-arent-invited?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:849b9ea0-5c73-4ee1-aa1a-68e71ede6297Post:23a196cc-bc4c-4531-9314-ed8024bba1e7">Re: Apologies to friends who aren't invited?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I suppose this is what I expected people to say.  However, it's my attempt to NOT be selfish, to save people from the embarrassment that I have when I'm asked for details about the other wedding and I have to tell them that I'm not  involved with that one (and then they are embarrassed for asking, despite how diplomatic I am in my response).  I know that I'd feel more comfortable if the elephant in the room had been already addressed.   I guess there's no way around some awkwardness no matter what.  The consensus seems to be that the uninvited will just have to deal with it.

Believe it or not, they probably don't care.  YOU think its an elephant in the room, because you are projecting your feelings onto other people based on what YOU felt in another situation.  Chances are, they probably don't care.  Having planned a wedding myself and knowing how hard it is to work with the guest list, I honestly will not be offended if I am never invited to another wedding, because I UNDERSTAND.  Other people might too. Give them some credit.
  • Options
    I understand what you're trying to accomplish, and it's considerate of you to try and take other people's feelings into account.  But I agree with everyone else-don't make a public announcement.  It would make people more uncomfortable, and the talk of your wedding (and you) would likely increase, and probably not in a good way. 

Like others have suggested, I recommend being frank with people if they approach you about it.  If they're not invited, just tell them the venue is too small to accommodate everyone.  If people start talking about your wedding, ask them not to bring it up while you're at work. 

Hopefully this works out well for you.  We all know that figuring out the guest list is one of the hardest parts of the planning process.  Stand your ground, it will all be fine!  :)
  • Options

We are having a family only reception so we want to invite everyone to the wedding but send reception only cards to the family.  My family thinks that is tacky but we will have cupcakes after the wedding to pass out to all the guest.  Any suggestions... abbott3 

• Options
    Blue_BirdBlue_Bird member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited September 2013
    abbott3 said:

We are having a family only reception so we want to invite everyone to the wedding but send reception only cards to the family.  My family thinks that is tacky but we will have cupcakes after the wedding to pass out to all the guest.  Any suggestions... abbott3 

@abbott3, please post a new thread with your question. As for your situation, your family are completely right. It's rude to have a tiered reception. If you can't afford to host everyone at your reception, then you only invite those you can afford. It's perfectly fine to have a family-only wedding, but you can't split the event in half and only invite half the guests to the thank-you portion.
  • Options
    Blue_Bird said:
    abbott3 said:

@abbott3, please post a new thread with your question. As for your situation, your family are completely right. It's rude to have a tiered reception. If you can't afford to host everyone at your reception, then you only invite those you can afford. It's perfectly fine to have a family-only wedding, but you can't split the event in half and only invite half the guests to the thank-you portion.
    Cosigned.

Anniversary

• Options
    Blue_Bird said:
    abbott3 said:

Cosigned.

She did. http://forums.theknot.com/discussion/996036/reception-only-invites#latest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards