Second Weddings

wedding dresses for the mature (age 57) bride?

Does anyone have any thoughts on a good dress design for a 57 year old bride where the September wedding will be held at a lakehouse...and the bride wants to be able to dance and chase her grandkids?  Thanks...

Re: wedding dresses for the mature (age 57) bride?

• Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    LMAO Susan! Welcome!

I'll be 55 when I marry next August, but we are having a more elaborate affair.

I'd recommend looking for what is called "Destination Wedding" dresses. They tend to be a bit more casual and are perfectly fine for a second wedding.

If you find a dress style you like I'd recommend having it made into tea length versus full length, when you have it altered. Tea length is more comfortable, or even go knee length if you want. Both are a bit more casual.

I bought one from this designer at a sample sale at a local salon. I'm going to have tea length in front, floor length in back.

http://www.landadesigns.com/index.php?cPath=6

Good luck.
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Honestly, if you want a traditional floor-length dress, you can dance and chase grandchildren in it.  You just need to have a bustle added if it has a train.  My wedding was on my 56th birthday, and I managed swing dancing in mine.

• SueR13SueR13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not wearing a wedding dress... but am wearing a long dress... and today I checked out my shoes - to see if I could run after grandkids in them! They worked. Yippee!

I'm "only" 52, though. LOL
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 112 Invited image 80 Joining the fun
    image 30 Missing out image 2 are total flakes
    RSVP Date 07/20/10
  • edited December 2011
    I don't have grandkids, but I've ordered a long simple white dress off the rack from Macy's.  I'll do something more elaborate with accessories.  You'll find here that we'll tell you to wear what you feel great in. 

2D Bride, I love your dress!
  • Marrin713Marrin713 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Cocktail type dress maybe?  I was totally non-traditional (age 54) at both the ceremony and the reception.  I see all the beautiful dresses and I think yeh, that might have been nice......but in the end it's not me.  I wore a long sundress type thing at the reception and jazzed it up with jewelry and a shawl.
  • Britt1406Britt1406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You could always look at bridesmaid dresses too... they have a more "casual" selection and many times you can order them in white/cream (or find a color you want, if you don't want white).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    October 2012 Pumpkin Patch Babies click here for list.
  • edited December 2011
    I just got engaged and haven't decided what to wear, but was looking at the destination styles, they might be what I end up with also. But my daughter, who is 34 suggested ball gowns! I have 3 grandchildren, I am 52 and my fiance is 40. I think you should wear what you feel comfortable in and whatever your usual style is, have fun and don't stress out!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards