Favors

Too tacky?

Hi! My name is Elizabeth and I am pretty new to the community. Finally after five years we are getting married. Like everyone, we are trying to be budget concious. So here is my question. The catering package that I am looking at offers a dessert course with theri sit down dinner but I really would like to have my OWN wedding cake. If you serve your wedding cake in lieu of dessert course they waive the $1 cake cutting fee. Is it too tacky or too much to just pay the cake cutting fee and ask the catering company to place the cake/cheesecake/mousse dessert option is special 'favor' boxes for my guests to take home? Any suggestions??

Re: Too tacky?

• jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that's fine but be prepared to look for and purchase your own favor boxes for the desserts.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I think that would be a fine favor.
  • kmg977kmg977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think its cute! So often there are favors ppl just throw away and don't keep but a delicious treat is an awesome option!
  • edited December 2011
    I think it is a great idea.
  • katiebeneskatiebenes member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    People are so stuffed anyways.. we're doing caked wrapped to go too... just do something cute with the boxes... decorate them, spray paint them... just let people see that you didn't just buy them and plop cake into them
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I have been to a wedding inwhich they gave us very pretty boxes with a desert as the favor.  I thought it was by far one of the BEST favors ever!!!!  Instead of something cute but useless...it was something I could enjoy later and I remember it to this day. 

NOT tacky!!!  BUT- you will have to find some attractive boxes for this and to do it on a budget will take some research on your part. 

judge the non-traditional, pop their happy little wedding balloons... and sleep better tonight for you have made the world a better place.
  • edited December 2011
    I would see what is most cost effective for you. In other words, would it be less expensive to pay the cake cutting fee, and then give the dessert as the favor, OR would it be less expensive to not serve the dessert and have the cake cutting fee waived, then find your own favor. 

Depending on the favor you choose, it could go either way. We are doing little bunches of five jordan almonds as the favor because my FI is Italian, and it is an old tradition apparently. In this case, I know it will cost less than a dollar per guest (plus the cost of a decorative box), so I would skip the dessert altogether and not pay the cake cutting fee. If, however, you were going to do silver picture frames or something, it may cost less to pay the cake cutting fee and the cost of a decorative box for each guest.

Either way, though, it is fine and not tacky.
  • tommyandytommyandy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    plastic chinese take out boxes would work out great for this & you can probably get them in your wedding colors.
  • babydi424babydi424 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think that it is tacky, however it may defeat its own purpose; because the caterer may charge a decent sum for the tedious task of slicing and boxing the desserts.
  • kkaimalakkaimala member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    try containerstore.com they have all kinds of cute boxes... or buy some cheaper ones in your colors and mix and match them with a ribbon tied around. This could get expensive though. Frown
  • lharri12lharri12 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've heard of the opposite, in which they serve guests the dessert and then box up slices of cake for people to take home.  At the venue where we are having our reception, they told us that they would box up slices of cake at no charge.  I don't think I'd count this as a "favor" though.  (But honestly, I don't see the point of favors - they're usually junk, and nobody would miss them.)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • kelly-seankelly-sean member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that is a great idea, however if it was a cheesecake they would need to be refridgerated, and you might want to price out boxes before you make a decision because that may take a good idea and make it really expensive.  Plus, it is something that your guests can actually stick in the fridge and enjoy when they get home, instead of pitch when they get home!
  • edited December 2011
    Good idea. I'm doing the same but with Mexican traditional tres leches cake. Family will help cut it and box it for others so we don't have to pay caterers anything.
  • edited December 2011
    I think that's a fine idea!  I make cakes and I find that no one eats as much dessert as you'd think.  I've attended family weddings who give us desserts or cookies as the favors, and it's much nicer than mints on the table, or bubble wands with a name and date.
  • edited December 2011
    You can get chinese takeout boxes and get stickers to hold them together.  I found a place online (papermart.com)  that you can order them and they end up being .09 each.  Also you can go on to vistaprints.com and get stckers printed for next to nothing.
  • AMN0324AMN0324 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's a great idea! Get custom cake boxes made (I would check Etsy.com). I've been to a wedding where they did that and it was a big hit.
  • edited December 2011
    I work for a catering company and we do it all the time.  They are there to serve you and do whatever you ask them to.  It's your day :)
  • katiebeneskatiebenes member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There's a catering store by me... its for restaurants and supplies. I think its called schweppes...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    i think it's a great idea!  i agree with some other posters that people are usually really stuffed by the end of a wedding, and don't feel like eating dessert - i think people will appreciate being able to take some home for later.  go for it!
  • wicked_faerywicked_faery member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    it's not tacky at all. if you were to serve dessert nobody would have room. they all want the cake. so paying the $1 extra isn't worth giving up the amount food that you're stuck paying for. so I say pack it up for the guests totake home & that'll save you money by not buying something they might not enjoy.

just stay away from chinese take-out boxes (unless you have an asian theme...) That would be adding the tacky back in.
    ~~~~June 15th 2011~~~~ Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic My Planning Bio - Updated Nov 2nd
  • edited December 2011
    Not tacky, I'm providing a cd with songs from the wedding and other love songs. We're also doing cookies in boxes, that we're making ourselves. There are several websites that you can order boxes from to put the desserts in, that give you color options as well as different size and style options that can match your wedding theme.

www.bagsandbowsonline.com is one place, or you can just google gift boxes wholesale and you'll get a ton of websites.
  • edited December 2011
    I love edible favors! Not tacky but make sure you compare the costs to be sure that this actually saves you $$$'s. Our favors are edible too, strawberry jam made by yours truly.
    imageGraphics In a world of crazy we need as many hugs as we can get.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:67c2a809-56cc-4a38-b7da-58fd3053912ePost:0dff2853-2f2f-4eab-bc44-33d69bbd0175">Too tacky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you serve your wedding cake in lieu of dessert course they waive the $1 cake cutting fee.
    Posted by YeltonBride[/QUOTE]

<div>Your choice of words has me wondering if you get <em>either </em>the dessert course or free cake cutting... in which case there no question of tacky (it isn't).</div><div>
    </div><div>If you do get both the dessert course and the cake cutting that isn't tacky either... edible favors are sure to be enjoyed!</div>
  • edited December 2011

great idea! we are actually doing a smaller cake and doing brownie bites in teal take out boxes i bought on clearance at hobby lobby.

• edited December 2011
    I honestly think that if you ask them to put cake slices in favor boxes that the catering company will ask for more that the $1/slice cutting fee. If you want to provide your own cake and have guests able to take their own piece- consider cupcakes. And you can still have a small cake for cutting on top of a cupcake tower.
  • edited December 2011
    That is a GREAT idea! And I guarantee people would be far more excited to take home CHEESECAKE than a tube of bubbles with your monogram on them. Money well spent I say!
  • edited December 2011
    not tacky at all! i love sweets and that's a great gift, and you can get diy favor box templates online at places like marthastewartweddings.com or idiy.com.  just type in the search engine what you're looking for and you'll be amazed and the cute FREE stuff that comes up! good luck!
  • JangelisJangelis member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Not at all tacky. Im from the Caribbean. Its actually a custom to give the wedding cake in boxes as a favor. Family members help cut up the cake and box the pieces as well.  Dessert is usually something other than cake.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards