Latino Weddings

Mexican/American Wedding? How to prevent mexican side to take flowers from our tables after the rece

As Mexicans know - at a typical wedding - guests make themselves free to take any wedding decoration etc on the table they sit at after the party is over or when they leave.

I am marrying an american so we will have a mixed crowd.

We rented our vases for our flowers at the reception.

What do I do to prevent our mexican guest from taking our flowers w/the vases?

Its embarrassing but its true.

Re: Mexican/American Wedding? How to prevent mexican side to take flowers from our tables after the rece

• latina40299latina40299 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm going to say word of mouth,maybe your family or Bridal party or even the DJ(?) can spread the word around that the centerpieces can't be taken home because the vases are rented !! HTH
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    my venue coordinator came out w a great idea - to have the vases removed from the table later in the evening - have just leave the flowers on the table.  That way people know its safe to take home.
  • latina40299latina40299 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_latino-weddings_mexicanamerican-wedding-prevent-mexican-side-flowers-tables-after-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:680Discussion:00416b19-8e32-44e9-955b-46a5f7187c5fPost:67e1012f-cca8-4431-b30a-5ea0d19dcaa9">Re: Mexican/American Wedding? How to prevent mexican side to take flowers from our tables after the reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]my venue coordinator came out w a great idea - to have the vases removed from the table later in the evening - have just leave the flowers on the table.  That way people know its safe to take home.
    Posted by lauramarquez99[/QUOTE]

that's a great idea!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jenandcrisjenandcris member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I definitely agree to have it spread by word-of-mouth
    Married in Boston, MA: Nov 8, 2013.
    Me: 27. Him: 30. DD: >1.
    Vow Renewal in Beavercreek, OH: July 1, 2017.
  • ExpatPumpkinExpatPumpkin member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are you serious?  I go to tons of weddings in Mexico, and I've never seen people walk away with the flowers...  That's not the norm AT ALL in our crowd and I'd be shocked if I saw it happen.

So I guess my advice would be what the wedding coordinator said...
  • Kaye SmithKaye Smith member
    edited December 2011

I was worried about the same thing - i was wondering how we would prevent the guests from doing that!  I'll have to remember to tell the day of coordinator to pick up the vases when the dancing starts!

• Kaye SmithKaye Smith member
    edited December 2011
    Oh, I also am meeting with my florist today - and am thinking about asking her about the cost of the vases that she'll be using for the tablepieces - it may be just easier to buy the vases and let people take them!
  • edited December 2011
    I did word of mouth, and had my coordinators be on the lookout in case someone started to take one. At the end of the night we still had all the centerpieces.
  • edited December 2011
    Oh dear, it's not embarassing at all. There's no reason to be ashamed. My family always does that, too. And, it makes sense. When the vases and flowers are purchased, why would the bride and groom want to take home 20 or so arrangements? By the time the bride and groom get back from the honeymoon, the flowers will be wilting...

Have you talked to your mother or future mother in law about this? I know I have some family members that would feel bad if they innocently assumed it was fine to take the vases and were told by someone else not to. This is why I'm purchasing vases. Yes, they're cheaper vases than what I could rent. But, they're my family and their comfort and enjoyment of the evening is what makes the whole evening a success.

I would think about talking to some older female family member before deciding what to do, just to make sure you won't accidentally hurt anyone's feelings. It might be a great idea to have someone else watch out to ensure the vases stay on the table, but it won't hurt to double check with someone who knows your family and how they would feel, first.
  • edited December 2011
    Our family did ask if they could take our vases home. I agree that word of mouth is the best. Just let your closer family members know and they can just spread the word. IMO, I think it would be a little disruptive to go to each table and take the vases off the tables, some may get the wrong impression.
  • munkiimunkii member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_latino-weddings_mexicanamerican-wedding-prevent-mexican-side-flowers-tables-after-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:680Discussion:00416b19-8e32-44e9-955b-46a5f7187c5fPost:824389bb-70b3-4525-b472-c5415d4e2d53">Re: Mexican/American Wedding? How to prevent mexican side to take flowers from our tables after the reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are you serious?  I go to tons of weddings in Mexico, and I've never seen people walk away with the flowers...  That's not the norm AT ALL in our crowd and I'd be shocked if I saw it happen.
    Posted by ExpatPumpkin[/QUOTE]

Glad I'm not the only one who's never seen this.  However, there are plenty of Americans on these boards who talk about it happening all the time--the first time I saw this question was probably on my local (so check with yours too).
    Matt loves Munkii!!!
  • hischiquita!hischiquita! member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was thinking of putting a lil double sided tape on the bottom of the vase and hoped that if they see it "stuck" to the linens maybe they wont take it! lol
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • edited December 2011

@ hischiquita: thats funny

• edited December 2011

I've seen this done at weddings and quinceneras. Especially my niece's quincenera...hey my mom made most of the centerpieces so of course I took one with me!

I would say word of mouth would be better. The tape is a good idea though!

• edited December 2011
    I have also seen this done, and glad to say that I have not done it myself.  I am actually making my own centerpieces and want guests to take them home. 

EXCEPT I do not want people to take the more expensive vases for the guest book table, or the baskets to hold programs, favors, etc.  I am going to have the DJ, who is a family friend, tell guests that they are free to take the centerpieces ONLY!  I am also going to have my bridesmaids start collecting the items I want to keep and putting them away about 30 mins before the wedding ends.
    My wedding Bio My baking Blog View from Le'ahi Diamond Head image
  • edited December 2011
    Hey, I'm so glad you posted this! I'm Mexican and I will marrying an American! We just got engaged and it's already a headache trying to incorporate my Mexican traditions with his!  When I read your post I was laughing, I didn't think about guest taking the table settings! I might need your advice or suggestions! Good luck!
  • lanajanellelanajanelle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Glad I read this!  I'm American marrying a Mexican, and when I ask him about wedding traditions he acts clueless.  After reading this board I asked him if he has seen that happen in his family and he said, "Oh yeah.  The people always keep the decorations."  Now I'm going to have to figure out how to prevent the rentals from slipping away as well!
  • edited December 2011
    We are having our flower centerpieces in vases that we purchased, and we will even encourage guests to take one as they leave.  We figured this was the easiest was to address the issue, don't fight it, embrase it. 
  • edited December 2011
    here in puerto rico, that also happens.  here, some ppl as soon as they sit, take the centerpiece and puts it next to them so no one else can take it.  if i see that happening in my wedding there will be a problem!  i know ppl will take them home but i hope no one takes it off center before the end.
  • OMAR1DEBOMAR1DEB member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hahaah, I've been to parties where i can start to see the anxiety in the womens faces when it comes close to the end of the party, they have their kids go around and collect centerpieces and bring them back to where they are sitting and try to take home as many as they can!   My advice: this might sound weird, but maybe the dj or some one on the mexican side can make an "announcement" over a mic and tell everyone to please not take them becuase they are rentals.... IN SPANISH!!.... its perfect, its subtle, no one on the american side will understand and our beloved mexican aunts and grandmas will get the picture and just leave them there... that way you have center pieces throughout the whole night and your reception will continue to look pretty.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards