Snarky Brides

Sunscreen ban in schools

http://todayhealth.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/25/12397171-mom-challenges-school-sunscreen-ban-after-daughters-are-severely-burned?lite

A woman is challenging a sunscreen ban in her local schools after her daughters (both with documented severe sun sensitivity) came back from a field trip severely burned.  The school has a policy that teachers cannot apply sunscreen to students, and students can only apply it to themselves with a doctor's note because of the possible additives in sunscreen.  The mom is horrified and fuming with the school that they wouldn't let the girls put sunscreen on, when they were clearly burning.  She is also trying to get the rule revoked.

WDYT? Does she have a right to be mad at the school? Do you think it's a valid ban to begin with?  What about medications in general? At what age (if any) should kids at school be allowed to administer their own medications witout having to go to the nurse?

I don't think she has a right to be mad at the school.  Even if it's a policy she doesn't agree with, she knew the policy and had ample time to get a note from the girls' doctor (since it is diagnosed) that says they should be able to use sunscreen when they want.

That being said, I do find it kind of strange.  I would agree with a rule that says kids should only use the sunscreen they brought themselves, but not a rule that says they can't use it without a doctor's note.  If a note is necessary, I think a parent note should suffice.  It's lame that you'd have to go to the doctor and waste his/her time just to get a note that says your kid should be able to put on sunscreen at school.

ETA Apparently 49 states have schools with similar sunscreen bans.

Re: Sunscreen ban in schools

• Doesn't surprise me that the school has this rule.  With how many frivolous lawsuits there are out there PLUS the amount of kids who have genuine allergies to all kinds of stuff, schools don't want any issues arising. We've done away with common sense and personal responsibility in favor of "My angel would never" and "CHANGE EVERYTHING for my precious snowflake."

Our school nurse can do little more than hand out crackers and juice.  Of course, if there's an emergency she's a valuable asset, but since she can't even dispense aspirin to kids who have notes for it, there's nothing to do.
  • As a teacher, I wouldn't put sun screen on a student. If there is a student that needed it applied throughout the day, on a field trip, then the mom should chaperone. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited June 2012
    Ridiculous is what comes to mind. It's sunscreen FFS. I'd much rather have the additives than I would a terrible burn or skin cancer.

ETA: If I was a teacher I wouldn't apply the sunscreen, but would make the student apply it to his or herself.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • When my daughters were in school/daycare I signed a consent form allowing adult personnel to apply sunscreen as needed (and I'm pretty sure I provided it to them myself).  I think it's as simple as that - get the parents' consent up front and take care of the children.  A doctor's note for sunscreen is an extreme requrement that I don't agree with.

I did think it was a bit ridiculous that their high school had a ban on the kids taking ibuprofen/tylenol or midol without going to the nurse.  FFS, high school kids should be able to take an over the counter medication without making a federal case of it.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Les- I wouldn't even want to apply the sun screen even if a parent signed a waver. There is way too many issues about touching kids that comes along with that. I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole.

I think it should either be a nurse OR if it's a field trip, the mom needs to chaperone. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • pkontkpkontk member
    First Comment
    So the mother knew the school was going on an outdoor field trip and didn't apply the sunscreen herself, or send the kids with it, or get a doctor's note, but its the school's fault?  Riiiiight.

Our school nurse offered cough drops for just about everything.  She probably isn't even allowed to do that now.
  • It does not appear that she knew about the ban ahead of time. I asked FI if he had heard about it since apparently WI has the same ban. He never had, neither had his sons' mother. It does not sound like this is something that is widely known at all, and as such, I think she has every right to be upset with the school. They had children spend a good part of the day outside, she sent sunscreen under a reasonable assumption that the kids would be able to apply it. The policy that kids can't apply their own sunscreen without a doctor's note doesn't seem like something a person would reasonably assume to be the case, and the school district was negligent in not making the policy clear before the fact.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2012
    I find this whole situation odd.  I went to school in a simpler time and I thank God for that.  I'm actually concerned for when I have to start looking at schools for any (so far non-existant) future kids.  I can't take the stupidity.

EDIT: I also would hardly classify sunscreen as a medication.
  • I read that article too and from what I understand, it wasn't a field trip, it was an activities day at the school. What I don't get is why they weren't allowed in the shade. And also the school did have an agreement to allow the girls sunscreen. And she said even if she had applied it before school, they would've had to reapply at lunchtime anyway.
    25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_sunscreen-ban-in-schools?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:472dd9b8-3f5b-40bd-9665-654f9729ff75Post:4fa24ed6-fbeb-4646-a2f6-e97d6c006924">Re: Sunscreen ban in schools</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>It does not appear that she knew about the ban ahead of time.</strong> I asked FI if he had heard about it since apparently WI has the same ban. He never had, neither had his sons' mother. It does not sound like this is something that is widely known at all, and as such, I think she has every right to be upset with the school. They had children spend a good part of the day outside, she sent sunscreen under a reasonable assumption that the kids would be able to apply it. The policy that kids can't apply their own sunscreen without a doctor's note doesn't seem like something a person would reasonably assume to be the case, and the school district was negligent in not making the policy clear before the fact.
    Posted by annie912[/QUOTE]

I will bet you any money it's somewhere in the school handbook.  If she didn't read it, that's on her.
  • From the article -

"The morning had been a rainy one but by noon the rain gave way to sun, and the girls began to burn. Violet and Zoe were not allowed to apply sunscreen due to a school policy against it...."

The mother didn't apply sunscreen because it wasn't needed in the morning, but sent it along so it could be used if needed. It doesn't sound like she was expecting the teacher to apply the sunscreen, but for the girls to do it themselves. I get the teacher not being able to do it, but it just seems ridiculous not to allow the kids to apply it themselves. Also, even if she had applied it in the morning, a full day outside would also require a reapplication during the day, which also would not be allowed.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • pkontkpkontk member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012
    Was the school aware of Violet and Zoe's allergies?  Maybe since it was crappy in the morning Mom didn't think to tell the school.

I worked for an organization that researched chemicals in personal care products and their effects on our health.  And that organization decided that it is STILL better to wear sun screen to avoid skin cancer than to not wear it and not have the chemicals on your body.
  • TBH, if my kid had a form of albinism and this was a big concern, I would have checked with the school what procedure needed to take place to allow them to apply sunscreen. School officials (nurse, etc) need to be made aware of any kind of medical conditions like that, so they CAN watch out for the kid. I would wager the sunscreen ban was listed in the handbook under items that are forbidden in school and at school functions, though. 

• annie912annie912 member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_sunscreen-ban-in-schools?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:472dd9b8-3f5b-40bd-9665-654f9729ff75Post:921d716b-4aea-47df-9d1e-021b29463dc5">Re: Sunscreen ban in schools</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sunscreen ban in schools : I will bet you any money it's somewhere in the school handbook.  If she didn't read it, that's on her.
    Posted by chelseamb11[/QUOTE]

Maybe not. I just pulled up our district's policy online and while it covers "over the counter drugs" it does not name sunscreen as an over the counter drug. I also checked the specific school's site and I wasn't able to find the info there either. Wisconsin apparently has the same ban, but I'm not seeing it anywhere in the school's info or the district's info.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_sunscreen-ban-in-schools?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:472dd9b8-3f5b-40bd-9665-654f9729ff75Post:234de48c-487e-4e19-ada0-c56c4416dd4e">Re: Sunscreen ban in schools</a>:
    [QUOTE]I can see it both ways because there are so many lawsuits about every.little.thing these days. Both of our nieces are allergic to aloe and it's in a lot of sunscreens. When they were younger, they didn't understand their allergies and probably would have used sunscreen from another kid without thinking.  Now they know to read the label before they apply.  I can't see my ILs as people who would sue/put up a stink if using the wrong sunscreen had happened, but a lot of people would freak out b/c little Suzy got a rash. However, I think a doctor's note to use sunscreen is excessive and a waste of the parent's and doctor's time. <strong>A parent's word that Suzy needs sunscreen and can reapply it herself should be sufficient.</strong>  I think high school age is appropriate to self medicate with a tylonel or midol if you feel you need one. But then you run the risk of your kid passing them out to someone else who shouldn't have them and the stupid cycle begins again. I agree with the policy that teachers can't apply it to the kids. As a teacher, or adult in general, I'd be terrified to touch a kid that wasn't mind if their parent wasn't around. 
    Posted by ILoveMilkDuds[/QUOTE]

I agree. Policy or not, if I were a teacher, I'd have a hard time stopping a kid that I "catch" applying sunscreen because she doesn't have a doctor's note. It seems way over the top, especially if the child appears to be burning.

However, the parents should be responsible for sending the child with sunscreen, and I certainly wouldn't blame the school for not offering sunscreen to a child who didn't bring her own when policy said the teacher couldn't.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_sunscreen-ban-in-schools?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:472dd9b8-3f5b-40bd-9665-654f9729ff75Post:ae27b1a8-0662-4324-80f1-1f5070d2ecb1">Re: Sunscreen ban in schools</a>:
    [QUOTE]Was the school aware of Violet and Zoe's allergies?  Maybe since it was crappy in the morning Mom didn't think to tell the school. I worked for an organization that researched chemicals in personal care products and their effects on our health.  And that organization decided that it is STILL better to wear sun screen to avoid skin cancer than to not wear it and not have the chemicals on your body.
    Posted by pkontk[/QUOTE]
    I don't think it's so much a concern over chemicals in general, as it is in allergies.  If you've ever been in a grammar school lunchroom recently, you'd know what i mean. Every grade level at my mom's school has a no-milk table, no-peanut table, etc, because there are just so many kids with severe allergies. 

Now, even knowing that, my mom has to be hyper-vigilant and make sure kids don't share food (when they are expressly told not to over and over).  Kids are kids and sometimes they just don't get it. If someone is allergic to aloe, like Duds said, I can see it quickly turning into a major issue because they shared sunscreen, not thinking anything of it.
  • I've worked in therapeutic schools where all the kids are on psychotropic meds. The sun doesn't usually mix well with it, so we would make them put sun screen on themselves or use the spray crap to at least get it on spots they couldn't reach. I wouldn't be up in arms if a teacher put sunscreen on my kid, if they were really little. An 8 year-old can certainly apply it to themselves though. 
    BFP #1 1/1/11 EDD 9/10/11 dx:no hb DNC on 2/2/11 BFP #2 12/28/11 natural m/c on 2/6/12 BFP#3 2/16/13 dx:ectopic on 2/27 (given methotrexate)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_sunscreen-ban-in-schools?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:472dd9b8-3f5b-40bd-9665-654f9729ff75Post:c1347384-4bf5-4179-8e2c-e2142f584e3f">Re: Sunscreen ban in schools</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sunscreen ban in schools : Maybe not. I just pulled up our district's policy online and while it covers "over the counter drugs" it does not name sunscreen as an over the counter drug. I also checked the specific school's site and I wasn't able to find the info there either. Wisconsin apparently has the same ban, but I'm not seeing it.

Interesting.  If they are enforcing a policy (they being this school in question from the article) but didn't make the policy clear to parents, then I would agree it's on the school, not the parent.

However, like Nates said, if my child had a condition like that, I wouldn't wait until a school-fun day to find out the policy.  She goes out for recess doesn't she?  I feel like even 15-30 minutes of exposure could still make a difference for her if she has this bad of a reaction to sun.
  • Why didn't the mother apply sunscreen to her daughters before they left the house?  That just seems like common sense to me.  Granted, it doesn't last all day, especially if the girls were going swimming or getting wet, but it would have been SOMETHING.

Also, as to the younger child having a form of albinism, why didn't she alert the school? 

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• A sunscreen ban is nuts to me. A doctor's note to have sunscreen is just ridiculous. Not being in the school world it would never even occur to me that there was a ban on sunscreen. I understand the reasoning for teachers not being able to put it on - but to not let a kid put sunscreen on themselves is so crazy! It's also kind of cruel.

When I worked at a summer day camp I used to keep spray sunscreen with me and spray the kids if they started looking red. Oops.

I'm also biased because I'm somebody that the sun tries to kill. Melanoma is running rampant and sunscreen will stop it.
    Photobucket
  • I think it's pretty much a giant steaming pile of rancid bullshit that a school would let all the kids get severely sunburned just because one fucking kid can't use sunscreen - obviously I guess it depends on how bad the allergy is, but overall, yeah.  I find it ludicrous.
    panther
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_sunscreen-ban-in-schools?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:472dd9b8-3f5b-40bd-9665-654f9729ff75Post:afe041b0-fcc0-4963-8a31-da65f828d108">Re: Sunscreen ban in schools</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sunscreen ban in schools : Interesting.  If they are enforcing a policy (they being this school in question from the article) but didn't make the policy clear to parents, then I would agree it's on the school, not the parent. However, like Nates said, if my child had a condition like that, I<strong> wouldn't wait until a school-fun day to find out the policy.</strong>  She goes out for recess doesn't she?  I feel like even 15-30 minutes of exposure could still make a difference for her if she has this bad of a reaction to sun.

Okay, but why would you even think to ask if there was a policy? This just doesn't sound like something that would even occur to someone normally, and it sure wouldn't to me. The kid needs sunscreen, I send him with sunscreen, he knows how to apply it, the logical assumption is that he can. These are not 4 year olds.

Good point about the recess thing, though. There is probably a lot of background info missing from this article. Either Mom is applying it in the mornings and that's sufficent to get the kid through to recess (I think FI's son's last outside recess is around 1 pm), or kid is doing it herself and it wasn't an issue previously because they chose not to enforce the ban. It sounds like for this case, though, the kids were outside later in the day than they would be on a normal school day, and for longer periods of time.

If we ran into that here, yep - I'd be up in arms because I can find absolutely nothing on it for our school/district. Again, though, info missing from the article. It doesn't say anywhere that the school responded "it's clearly stated in our policy on medications". They just say "it's our policy." If they had it in writing, I would think they would have thrown that out there right away.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_sunscreen-ban-in-schools?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:472dd9b8-3f5b-40bd-9665-654f9729ff75Post:afe041b0-fcc0-4963-8a31-da65f828d108">Re: Sunscreen ban in schools</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sunscreen ban in schools : Interesting.  If they are enforcing a policy (they being this school in question from the article) but didn't make the policy clear to parents, then I would agree it's on the school, not the parent. However, like Nates said, if my child had a condition like that, I wouldn't wait until a school-fun day to find out the policy.  She goes out for recess doesn't she?  I feel like even 15-30 minutes of exposure could still make a difference for her if she has this bad of a reaction to sun.
    It's a state ban, though, not a school policy.  The school didn't dream up this policy; they're complying with the state ban.

ETA: And by that, i mean that my school dsitrict has a disclaimer that says "XYZ district handbook does not cover all the rules and regulations governing XYZ district." There are ten million and one state bans, rules, etc, and there are listed on the DOE website. The DOE stance is that if it's there, you need to be aware of it, kwim? Just like you can't say "Well, I didn't know it was against the law." Ignorance does not excuse culpability.  I'm not saying that's right, but that's the view.
  • pixiedust84pixiedust84 member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_sunscreen-ban-in-schools?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:472dd9b8-3f5b-40bd-9665-654f9729ff75Post:afe041b0-fcc0-4963-8a31-da65f828d108">Re: Sunscreen ban in schools</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sunscreen ban in schools : Interesting.  If they are enforcing a policy (they being this school in question from the article) but didn't make the policy clear to parents, then I would agree it's on the school, not the parent. However, like Nates said, if my child had a condition like that, I wouldn't wait until a school-fun day to find out the policy.  She goes out for recess doesn't she?  I feel like even 15-30 minutes of exposure could still make a difference for her if she has this bad of a reaction to sun.

But it would never even occur to me that there MIGHT be a ban! Why would I find out the policy on suncreen when CLEARLY it should be allowed? To me it would be like "Oh my kid needs water to survive - I should go look up the policy their school has on allowing them to drink water!"

Crazy.

ETA: Sorry - yes State Ban - so I should go look at all the State's Bans to see if there's one on water. Still crazy. This is getting me all riled up.
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_sunscreen-ban-in-schools?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:472dd9b8-3f5b-40bd-9665-654f9729ff75Post:8248c969-071c-40ee-b915-405959264f3f">Re: Sunscreen ban in schools</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sunscreen ban in schools : But it would never even occur to me that there MIGHT be a ban! Why would I find out the policy on suncreen when CLEARLY it should be allowed? To me it would be like "Oh my kid needs water to survive - I should go look up the policy their school has on allowing them to drink water!" Crazy. ETA: Sorry - yes State Ban - so I should go look at all the State's Bans to see if there's one on water. Still crazy. This is getting me all riled up.
    Posted by pixiedust84[/QUOTE]

::sits with PIxie::
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_sunscreen-ban-in-schools?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:472dd9b8-3f5b-40bd-9665-654f9729ff75Post:beb7946c-aee4-4900-847e-e4f1fa237918">Re: Sunscreen ban in schools</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sunscreen ban in schools : It's a state ban, though, not a school policy.  The school didn't dream up this policy; they're complying with the state ban.
    Posted by ZombieNates[/QUOTE]

But someone has to make the parents aware of it. If it's a statewide ban that schools have to follow, the schools have to let the parents know as part of their medication policy.  In our district's handbook, there are all kinds of state specific requirements/policies listed, not just the district's requirements/policies. Regardless of who ordered the ban, someone needs to communicate it to the parents. It is not something that most people would make an assumption about on their own.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Even small children can be taught to apply sunscreen to their faces/arms as needed.  I understand a teacher not wanting to apply it given the current climate of lawsuits, but a parents' consent for the child to apply it herself should be ok.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_sunscreen-ban-in-schools?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:472dd9b8-3f5b-40bd-9665-654f9729ff75Post:beb7946c-aee4-4900-847e-e4f1fa237918">Re: Sunscreen ban in schools</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sunscreen ban in schools : It's a state ban, though, not a school policy.  The school didn't dream up this policy; they're complying with the state ban. ETA: And by that, i mean that my school dsitrict has a disclaimer that says "XYZ district handbook does not cover all the rules and regulations governing XYZ district." There are ten million and one state bans, rules, etc, and there are listed on the DOE website. The DOE stance is that if it's there, you need to be aware of it, kwim? Just like you can't say "Well, I didn't know it was against the law." Ignorance does not excuse culpability.  I'm not saying that's right, but that's the view.
    Posted by ZombieNates[/QUOTE]

Okay, so I don't see that disclaimer in our district's handbook. I did, though, just for grins check out the state DOE's site. I find nothing on "medication", "administering of medication" or "sunscreen". If it's there but so difficult to find, I don't see how that is the state, the district or the school fulfilling their responsibility to inform parents of the policies they are enforcing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_sunscreen-ban-in-schools?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:472dd9b8-3f5b-40bd-9665-654f9729ff75Post:d259fba9-c8d7-4b86-b503-e5bc957a456c">Re: Sunscreen ban in schools</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sunscreen ban in schools : But someone has to make the parents aware of it. If it's a statewide ban that schools have to follow, the schools have to let the parents know as part of their medication policy.  In our district's handbook, there are all kinds of state specific requirements/policies listed, not just the district's requirements/policies. Regardless of who ordered the ban, someone needs to communicate it to the parents. It is not something that most people would make an assumption about on their own.
    Read my ETA :)

TBH, I don't think this would be an issue if people weren't so litigious. Like I said earlier, we've moved away from common sense out of fear that every little issue will become a major lawsuit.
  • NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    Hes another question, where were the teachers during all this and why didnt they see the girls getting obviously quited burned. Why were they not pulled aside into the shade. Taking the whole sunscreen thing out of the equation, you can see quite plainly with your eyes when someone is getting a sunburn.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards