Maryland-Baltimore

New To The Area and TOTALLY Lost!

Hi Everyone! Congratulations on your engagements!! 

My wonderful fiance and I were relocated to Harford county Maryland this month for his job. He is originally from WI and I am originally from NH; we relocated from RI. 

We are in our mid-twenties and have been dating since June 2010. We were engaged on Labor Day weekend this year! I am so so so excited to marry him, but I'm already so overwhelmed by this process that I'm growing weary of planning and we haven't even started yet!

I am totally clueless about venue spaces (and everything else) in the area and would deeply appreciate any guidance. Here are the broad details:

We aren't sure about our date... anytime from May 2013-October 2013.

Fiance wants outside wedding with a waterview if possible, and we are not religious at all.

I'd like to have an inside reception, and because we have all out of town guests and hope to have an open bar, onsite accommodations would be preferred.

Our guest list is 200, but due to making EVERYONE travel, we anticipate 100-125 guests in attendance.

My parents are generously contributing ~$15,000 but fiance and I are able to save too. We have a professional photographer and makeup/hair artist in the family, so those are pretty well taken care of!

I looked at The Oaks and loved it, but can't seem to get a handle on pricing there. We are going to the Aug 5 bridal show in hopes of inspiration! 

Can anyone provide direction in terms of venue space? I think that if we can nail that down, that'll help us pick our date and we can go from there. Much appreciation!

Re: New To The Area and TOTALLY Lost!

• LoveKissLoveKiss member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2012
    Grammercy Mansion (northern Baltimore County, doesn't meet your large # or rooms requirement, but isn't far from the Sheraton in Towson), Antrim 1844 (Carroll County), Harbour Inn (Talbot County, has water view), Tidewater Inn  (Talbot County),  Chesapeake Beach resort (Calvert County, has water view), and the Chesapeake Bay Hyatt (Dorchester County, has water view) all come to mind. They all have outdoor ceremony spaces, indoor reception spaces, and the capacity to sleep a good number of guests.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maryland-baltimore_new-to-the-area-and-totally-lost?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:85Discussion:31b6876f-100c-46d8-98a9-502b63ead5d0Post:e0250efe-b730-4e21-ae0a-875ec86d021f">Re: New To The Area and TOTALLY Lost!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Grammercy Mansion (northern Baltimore County, doesn't meet your large # or rooms requirement, but isn't far from the Sheraton in Towson), Antrim 1844 (Carroll County), Harbour Inn (Talbot County, has water view), Tidewater Inn  (Talbot County),  Chesapeake Beach resort (Calvert County, has water view), and the Chesapeake Bay Hyatt (Dorchester County, has water view) all come to mind. They all have outdoor ceremony spaces, indoor reception spaces, and the capacity to sleep a good number of guests.
    Posted by LoveKiss[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Thank you! I am sort of in love with The Oaks and Celebrations on the Bay so we are going to go see those too. I'm preparing myself to cringe on pricing, though. I appreciate your help very much!

</div>
  • LoveKissLoveKiss member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maryland-baltimore_new-to-the-area-and-totally-lost?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:85Discussion:31b6876f-100c-46d8-98a9-502b63ead5d0Post:1024b237-4f52-4908-998e-9de388f4aa28">Re: New To The Area and TOTALLY Lost!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: New To The Area and TOTALLY Lost! : Thank you! I am sort of in love with The Oaks and Celebrations on the Bay so we are going to go see those too. I'm preparing myself to cringe on pricing, though. I appreciate your help very much!
    Posted by LCD&TJFS[/QUOTE]

No problem. The Kent Manor Inn may also be a good option. Plenty of hotel rooms and right on the water for the ceremony with an indoor reception space.
  • Take a look at Kurtz's Beach.  We are getting married there in September. It is right next to Celebrations by the Bay and is half the price.  I think Celebrations quoted us $125 a person and Kurtzs was only $60 a person.   Celebrations also has a place called Anchor Inn that we looked at that was pretty nice too and I think that was $110 a person.
    Here is the Kurtz website

• We decided to go with Mountain Branch in Joppa. We live less than 4 miles from there and it's almost all inclusive! Tent, tables, chairs, linens, food, drinks and a coordinator, it's going to make my life a LOT easier!! Has anyone hosted or been to a wedding there?
  • Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maryland-baltimore_new-to-the-area-and-totally-lost?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:85Discussion:31b6876f-100c-46d8-98a9-502b63ead5d0Post:f80b5b98-a6d9-4099-8a5e-ef4ffe3a69f6">Re: New To The Area and TOTALLY Lost!</a>:
    [QUOTE]We decided to go with Mountain Branch in Joppa. We live less than 4 miles from there and it's almost all inclusive! Tent, tables, chairs, linens, food, drinks and a coordinator, it's going to make my life a LOT easier!! Has anyone hosted or been to a wedding there?
    Posted by LCD&TJFS[/QUOTE]

I have only set-up flowers for a wedding there before, but many of my friends have been to plenty of weddings there and have never been disappointed with any of the offerings.

I know you still have a bit to go, but I would love to recommend a great florist (who I used for my wedding)!  Flowers by Design is located right in the heart of Bel Air (on Main Street next to the Dark Horse).  The owner is very easy to work with and she has amazing ideas.  Also, some great bakers in the area would be Flavor Cupcakery (Bel Air).  They used to only do cupcakes but now they do custom cakes as well.  Desserts by Rita (Havre de Grace) is very well known and I have never been disappointed.

Hope this helps!

ETA:  Oh and for a great bridal shop in the area try Amanda Ritchey's (located on Bel Air Road in Fallston area) and K&B Bridal on Main Street in Bel Air.  I got my dress from Amanda's and loved the experience.  Both stores also offer bridesmaid dresses and I know Amanda's has just started offering tuxes for the boys!

I live in Bel Air so if you need any other recommendations of nearby places for your wedding or just because feel free to PM me!

• Since you are in Harford County I would highly recommend Swan Harbor Farm.
    The Vandiver Inn is nice too but a completely different setting. Both are in Havre De Grace
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I second the recommendation for Amanda Ritchey salon
    June 2013 - Shoe Inspiration
    imageimage
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Venues are the best start-check out http://eventprolive.net/lighting/ to see some of the locations listed by others and how Event Pro Live has enhanced it and made it unique for each bride's vision
  • Thanks to all for your help! We are still looking to book photog, dj, shuttle... any ideas and suggestions are warmly welcomed!
  • Hi! I ended up doing a destination wedding, because I could not find a venue on the water or in the city that I liked!!

However, when the time comes and you are looking for your grooms attire, feel free to contact me.  My friend who is a custom clothier in LA recently opened a showroom in Baltimore and I am working with him.  He has a great selection of custom made and tailored suits and tuxedos.  If you are interested, check out his website evolutionofstyle.com or feel free to contact me with any questions.

Jen@evolutionofstyle.com

Good luck with the rest of your wedding planning!   So much fun :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards